15 month old Whirlpool refrigerator... not field repairable.

Agree with the statement except getting a used FREE fridge. Often times hauling a fridge around can cause damage and IMO not worth doing (and to be fair a good used fridge won't be free, people will sell them instead).

Low tech without ice maker / water dispenser is key, I disconnected mine despite having it.

Wonder if there's a way to find a not too ugly commercial fridge for most home, you don't hear fridge failing in restaurants left and right.
I use my water dispenser and ice maker everyday. No way I'm going without one.

We've had and LG split door fridge, bottom freezer for 5 years now. So far so good. The water-ice filter costs $55/6-8 months.

My opinion is that all major brands have gone downhill in terms of reliability. When we bought our house 3 years ago we went with all new Whirlpool appliances (with the exception of our dishwasher which is Bosch). So far the belt on our dryer snapped, and the lid on our clothes washer doesn't close right. Other than that they have been solid.

Having said that, one of my coworkers recently bought a Whirlpool range and they have been having issues with the oven turning on. Again, ours has been flawless.

Regardless what you buy, get extended warranty.

Just had the in-door ice dispenser give out on a 18 month old Maytag. Broken wire in wiring harness going into door. Broken wire exposed and easy to repair by pulling front bottom grate.

Repair man is replacing complete freezer door assembly. $800.

Luckily, is covered under extended warranty at $0 cost to me.

Every refrigerator I've ever had, including growing up has had a water dispenser and ice maker. None have ever broken.

I have a Frigidaire refrigerator from 2001 still working fine. In my experience dishwashers are the most problematic of any appliance. We replaced the dishwasher already in our house with a new Whirlpool. The 2001 GE microwave is still working. I tend to like Whirlpool washer / dryers and dishwashers and Frigidaire fridges.

I still think the old Kenmore branded appliances from Sears used to be the best with least problems. Growing up in a house of 6 we used the same Kenmore appliances including washer/dryer for 20+ years without an issue. The house was sold as I got older and all were still working. The older 2000s GE microwaves are tanks and go on forever.

The new fridges with built-in tablets to me are throwaway appliances. Simpler is better in my opinion. Even ice makers tend to be the weak spot.

Last edited:
My experience with water/ice dispensers and ice makers is that they are great, until they are not. Many floors have been destroyed from leaking water from the fridge. And then you're dealing with ripping up subflooring and mold issues - getting into tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I remember a worst case situation I saw on TV, where the entire house had to be condemned and ultimately a total loss due to a leaking fridge water issue. A internet search reveals that leaking and mold issues are seemingly quite common. I advise against water/ice dispensers in fridges due to this fact alone. A weak disasterous failure point.

15 months ago, bought a new Whirlpool refrigerator. Earlier this month, it was declared "not field repairable", and I received most of my money back, to replace it.

This was my first Whirlpool, and unfortunately, I've been far from impressed. This one was a dud from the start. When Whirlpool sent me an email about a month after buying this thing, to try and sell me an extended warranty... I took them up on it immediately. It was that $44.95 entended warranty that is paying out to replace this dud.

So... where do I go now? I bought this one at the beginning of the pandemic, and I bought what was available at the time. This one is still running (although it is all screwed up), so I think I have some time to perform some research before buying its replacement.

I see that the manufacturers such as LG and Samsung offer inverter compressors, which from what I read have the ability to adjust the speed that the compressor runs to match the needed load, and are much quieter. Much quieter is a good thing, as my living room is right next to my kitchen. Plus, the inverter units seem to have much longer warranties on the compressor (1 year for my old Whirlpool compressor... 10 years for LG compressor)... as well as a longer life.

But I'm not sure about buying an LG or a Samsung apppliance... as far as service goes.
Sorry if I missed it somewhere in this thread, but was it the compressor that failed on this Whirlpool? That is unusual IMO.

15 months ago, bought a new Whirlpool refrigerator. Earlier this month, it was declared "not field repairable", and I received most of my money back, to replace it.

This was my first Whirlpool, and unfortunately, I've been far from impressed. This one was a dud from the start. When Whirlpool sent me an email about a month after buying this thing, to try and sell me an extended warranty... I took them up on it immediately. It was that $44.95 entended warranty that is paying out to replace this dud.

So... where do I go now? I bought this one at the beginning of the pandemic, and I bought what was available at the time. This one is still running (although it is all screwed up), so I think I have some time to perform some research before buying its replacement.

I see that the manufacturers such as LG and Samsung offer inverter compressors, which from what I read have the ability to adjust the speed that the compressor runs to match the needed load, and are much quieter. Much quieter is a good thing, as my living room is right next to my kitchen. Plus, the inverter units seem to have much longer warranties on the compressor (1 year for my old Whirlpool compressor... 10 years for LG compressor)... as well as a longer life.

But I'm not sure about buying an LG or a Samsung apppliance... as far as service goes.
As far as service goes, go with Samsung, you will not need service, just replace after 15 years.

My LG is fine 3 years in. IMO a lot of the stories of this one vs that one are becoming irrelevant. The guts all use the same basic chinesium components and after that a bit of luck means they'll last.

My experience with water/ice dispensers and ice makers is that they are great, until they are not. Many floors have been destroyed from leaking water from the fridge. And then you're dealing with ripping up subflooring and mold issues - getting into tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I remember a worst case situation I saw on TV, where the entire house had to be condemned and ultimately a total loss due to a leaking fridge water issue. A internet search reveals that leaking and mold issues are seemingly quite common. I advise against water/ice dispensers in fridges due to this fact alone. A weak disasterous failure point.
This is honestly another reason I got Miele units. They have sensors in the bottom that detect water leakage. Any water leak will shut off the water supply, and full drain of any water in the appliance, like the washing machine.

My opinion is that all major brands have gone downhill in terms of reliability. When we bought our house 3 years ago we went with all new Whirlpool appliances (with the exception of our dishwasher which is Bosch). So far the belt on our dryer snapped, and the lid on our clothes washer doesn't close right. Other than that they have been solid.

Having said that, one of my coworkers recently bought a Whirlpool range and they have been having issues with the oven turning on. Again, ours has been flawless.
I had a Bosch dishwasher before the now DOA GE model, it was awesome until the pump failed

surprise! "part no longer in manufacture or available"

tell me this is not intentional;)

I have a Miele vacuum. In a time where most vacuums are made from cheap plastic, seem to have an average lifespan of 1-4 years, and don't work well even in day one, I can say this thing is built like a tank and works really well.
I bought a Miele vacuum a few months ago. $1100. It is really nice and does a great job. Then my daughter gave us a Roomba. Now I sit in my recliner with my feet up watching that robot/vacuum skitter around the house, driving my dogs nuts!

I bought a Miele vacuum a few months ago. $1100. It is really nice and does a great job. Then my daughter gave us a Roomba. Now I sit in my recliner with my feet up watching that robot/vacuum skitter around the house, driving my dogs nuts!
We thought about getting one too but we have areas with one or two steps up or down all over the place plus multiple floors plus my kids leave **** everywhere - I fear the thing would spend most it's time stuck in a corner somewhere.

Back