15 month old Whirlpool refrigerator... not field repairable.

Miele makes some excellent appliances, including refrigerators:
I honestly don't understand the Miele mystique. True they flash some German words at you during startup - which I guess impresses some people - but the washers/dryers they make are not great at all.

I honestly don't understand the Miele mystique. True they flash some German words at you during startup - which I guess impresses some people - but the washers/dryers they make are not great at all.
They have an excellent warranty (which you typically never need to use), and my experience with their stuff has been excellent. I was put onto them by a late German friend of mine who had several of their appliances including a vacuum which he'd owned for the better part of 20 years. They hold up extremely well, that's the appeal.

so did I but my GE dishwasher (5 years old) has a broken door, and guess what

"the part is no longer in manufacture or in stock"

a new unit is going in tomorrow, I am starting to believe that all appliances are now considered disposable
I wonder if that is a Haier unit with GE name slapped on it? Where was it made? I'd bet China...

Made in China Whirlpool refrigerator spotted at Menards:

View attachment 64500View attachment 64501
I'll say one thing, people DO look at things like where an appliance is made and many of us do NOT want a China made appliance.
It also makes Whirlpool look bad having their name on this unit from China.

I'll give one credit to Haier, when they bought GE Household appliance group I was sure they were going to close down the US plants
and just slap the GE badge on their products from China, well in most situations that has NOT been the case, they are still having most GE appliances designed and made here in the USA. Call me shocked! Not that I like money headed back to China but at least much of it stays in the USA which is always a good thing along with many good paying jobs. I wonder why they made this decision, perhaps that was part of the deal or agreement they made with GE Corp before they sold it to Haier??? Anyone?

I'll say one thing, people DO look at things like where an appliance is made and many of us do NOT want a China made appliance.
It also makes Whirlpool look bad having their name on this unit from China.

I'll give one credit to Haier, when they bought GE Household appliance group I was sure they were going to close down the US plants
and just slap the GE badge on their products from China, well in most situations that has NOT been the case, they are still having most GE appliances designed and made here in the USA. Call me shocked! Not that I like money headed back to China but at least much of it stays in the USA which is always a good thing along with many good paying jobs. I wonder why they made this decision, perhaps that was part of the deal or agreement they made with GE Corp before they sold it to Haier??? Anyone?
GE appliance got lucky. Had they stayed with the GE group they would probably fare horrible as it collapsed.

Can’t wait to replace my washer/dryer with a Miele unit. Big reason for me is to get a heat pump dryer. We average two loads of laundry a day, so will be a significant electricity saving. Just waiting for them to go on sale. No way am I buying a major appliance made in China.

They have an excellent warranty (which you typically never need to use), and my experience with their stuff has been excellent. I was put onto them by a late German friend of mine who had several of their appliances including a vacuum which he'd owned for the better part of 20 years. They hold up extremely well, that's the appeal.
I have a Miele vacuum. In a time where most vacuums are made from cheap plastic, seem to have an average lifespan of 1-4 years, and don't work well even in day one, I can say this thing is built like a tank and works really well.

Most people aren't going to rain praise on their kitchen appliances, they'll generally only post if they're frustrated and having an issue.
This is very true and I subscribe to the ideology that most problems posted on reviews apply to a small percentage of the units sold and working perfectly fine. I was told to run from my Samsung purchase and I thought about it because of other Samsung refrigerators having such bad reviews even though this particular model did not, I bit the bullet and bought it.

Bought my present Whirlpool "Designer Style" fridge in 1997 at Circuit City. Has never had a problem. All I've done to it maintenance-wise is clean the condenser coil on the bottom periodically. I have wondered though what would I buy if it ever does fail. I know they don't "make them like they used to".

GE appliance got lucky. Had they stayed with the GE group they would probably fare horrible as it collapsed.
Not so sure about that, originally Electrolux was going to buy the GE Appliances unit, back in 2014 but not sure what happened.
I'm sure they were going to be sold off, and another company would buy them even if just for the name, I'm not sure if Electrolux would have kept
the US based design and plants running since they have plenty of existing plants here in the USA under the Frigidaire name and others.
So this might have been for the best, I believe that one of the agreements the buyer had to accept legally was that the existing GE design centers and plants had to be kept operating as they currently exist for at least a decade or more.

One of my best friends owns a VERY successful high end appliance repair business. He has the contracts for everything high end from Greenwich CT, Rockland NY, Westchester NY, Orange NY, Putnam, Dutchess, and expanding into the borough of NYC. Between him and his friends who service the non-high end appliances....the consensus is to stay away from LG and Samsung especially. I have an LG that the trays were so flimsy I had to replace and moved it to the basement.

They also report that the key is less tech is less repairs. What was kinda surprising, at least to me, they report that most companies like Whirlpool, GE, Frigidaire, etc...use the vert same compressors. About 4 or 5 years ago I asked what fridge.....they recommended a low frill GE or Frigidaire. I went GE and besides a little loud it has been excellent.
Yale Appliances?

I have a three year old Whirlpool refrigerator and it is the loudest appliance that I have ever owned. My home has a "great room", a concept that I abhor, and the refrigerator is about 8 feet from the sofa in the living room area. The noise interferes with listening to music or watching TV. It buzzes and hums like it is ready to fail and has been that way for a couple of years.

I have done the usual troubleshooting like making sure the coils are clean and the fan is working properly and everything is tightened down in the back to prevent rattling.

I suppose I should call a technician out and see if it can be repaired but if they tell me it is going to be five or six hundred dollars I'll probably replace it with a different brand.

This refrigerator was odd. It had a noisy compressor (knocking) from the get go, that not surprisingly, got worse. I couldn't get any sort of service at all during the first months of COVID... Whirlpool couldn't provide a home service visit. Even though it was noisy, it operated fine for the most part. It made other noises, but the knocking was the worst.

Finally got the compressor replaced a few months ago. Now, the refrigerant lines start to build frost within about 5 minutes, and will eventually freeze over with 1/4" of ice. It starts up when it needs to, but then it just runs and runs and runs.... sometimes for hours. It runs as if the cold control is communicating with nothing, for shutting itself down. Then, when it finally does shut off, you can hear the ice falling off of the refrigerant lines within a few minutes, and hitting either the drain pan (or the floor of the kitchen).

When they came back to investigate the freezing up/extended run time issue, they did nothing to adjust the freon in the unit. The tech swears that he put the correct amount of the correct refrigerant in it. He consulted with support at Whirlpool, and they declared it unrepairable.... instead blaming the liner (I assume they mean the insulation running up the backside of the unit). To control the run times, I put a timer on it, so it cuts power for 30 minutes every 3 hours. The timer is helping a lot with the excessive run times, while allowing it to maintain a sufficient temperature.

Now, in the past couple of days, the replacement compressor is now making a few seconds of clanking noises when it starts up... time to plan for a new one. Just my luck, two dud Chinese compressors in a row.

We do have a local appliance store, who offers an in-house 5 year (labor) and 10 years (parts) warranty with purchase. They have their own repair techs, and fleet of trucks. On some select models, the 5/10 warranty is free. On others, it is $229. They have been in town for between 10 and 20 years, so that's a good sign. This store sells just about every brand, but they openly prefer GE and Frigidaire products, and Whirlpool/Maytag to a somewhat lesser extent.

Sadly, refrigerators and other big appliances have become disposable; IOW the components (designed to prematurely, whether on purpose or just by use of incredibly fragile plastic parts) fail are too hard/expensive to fix forcing consumers to repetitively buy new. This creates a forced consumption ecosystem of expensive "durable" (what a laugh) goods. Expect EVs to be built on this same business model by the way.

I own a house and a rental. Both had $2000 French Door units. Rental had the compressor fail at year 4 or so, outside of warranty. It cost almost as much to fix it as a new fridge. My house fridge compressor failed at year 3 or so. It was also nearly the cost of a new fridge to fix, but thankfully this fridge has a longer warranty so the repair was barely inside the warranty window.

My advice when it comes to refrigerators in particular, you want LOW TECH, NO WATER DISPENSER or door ICE MAKER and ideally FREE, and if you do buy one, look at the warranty and get the longest warranty on the system and especially the compressor. First, look what's available locally for FREE. Get a FREE one in advance in put it in the garage as an emergency backup so you are not caught without a fridge if yours fails. Get a good FREE used one off the local FB marketplace or craigslist. Ideally, a low-tech model many years old. I have a free one in the garage that meets that criteria, and it works like champ. If you MUST buy a "new" one, go to a appliance scratch and dent sale or aisle where you'll save a lot of money. And get the longest warranty on the compressor, ideally at least 5 years and 10 is excellent. The advice against water/ice in the system is that when they fail, and they do, the water damage can be extensive. The lower the tech, the better IMO. You don't need a lot of fancy - you just need a reliable cooling unit.

Sadly, refrigerators and other big appliances have become disposable; IOW the components (designed to prematurely, whether on purpose or just by use of incredibly fragile plastic parts) fail are too hard/expensive to fix forcing consumers to repetitively buy new. This creates a forced consumption ecosystem of expensive "durable" (what a laugh) goods. Expect EVs to be built on this same business model by the way.

I own a house and a rental. Both had $2000 French Door units. Rental had the compressor fail at year 4 or so, outside of warranty. It cost almost as much to fix it as a new fridge. My house fridge compressor failed at year 3 or so. It was also nearly the cost of a new fridge to fix, but thankfully this fridge has a longer warranty so the repair was barely inside the warranty window.

My advice when it comes to refrigerators in particular, you want LOW TECH, NO WATER DISPENSER or door ICE MAKER and ideally FREE, and if you do buy one, look at the warranty and get the longest warranty on the system and especially the compressor. First, look what's available locally for FREE. Get a FREE one in advance in put it in the garage as an emergency backup so you are not caught without a fridge if yours fails. Get a good FREE used one off the local FB marketplace or craigslist. Ideally, a low-tech model many years old. I have a free one in the garage that meets that criteria, and it works like champ. If you MUST buy a "new" one, go to a appliance scratch and dent sale or aisle where you'll save a lot of money. And get the longest warranty on the compressor, ideally at least 5 years and 10 is excellent. The advice against water/ice in the system is that when they fail, and they do, the water damage can be extensive. The lower the tech, the better IMO. You don't need a lot of fancy - you just need a reliable cooling unit.
Agree with the statement except getting a used FREE fridge. Often times hauling a fridge around can cause damage and IMO not worth doing (and to be fair a good used fridge won't be free, people will sell them instead).

Low tech without ice maker / water dispenser is key, I disconnected mine despite having it.

Wonder if there's a way to find a not too ugly commercial fridge for most home, you don't hear fridge failing in restaurants left and right.

Agree with the statement except getting a used FREE fridge. Often times hauling a fridge around can cause damage and IMO not worth doing (and to be fair a good used fridge won't be free, people will sell them instead).

Low tech without ice maker / water dispenser is key, I disconnected mine despite having it.

Wonder if there's a way to find a not too ugly commercial fridge for most home, you don't hear fridge failing in restaurants left and right.

I've had better luck and longer use with FREE refrigerators and freezers than I have with new $2000 units (both of mine failed). And FREE, if you have means to move it easily, is almost no risk. A run to the dump for $50 if it stops working, maybe loss of some food contents but generally you can catch that before the unit warms the interior and spoils food. This is also my suggestion for a backup unit in the garage to immediately move foods into. Also, handy to have a few large Coleman coolers on hand. Just put food contents in and dump a few bags of ice on them to preserve them in the event of failure. YMMV, just a suggestion that has worked very well for me. I'll no longer drop thousands of dollars on these short-lived appliances.

Back