15 month old Whirlpool refrigerator... not field repairable.

Have a sub $500 Frigidaire black fridge with in freezer icemaker. Most basic you can get and it has been fine. We had an Amana side by side in the last house and the ice maker broke, then the lights, then we got rid of it.

Unfortunately it seems that non of these brands are what they used to be. Buy a MAYTAG, you're actually buying a whirlpool product now, complete with burning control panels in the dishwashers. I had a Whirlpool dishwasher's control panel pop and burn one evening and when I started looking at other dishwashers, I found that all of the reviews were horrible, no matter the brand.
As for refrigerators, I found a Samsung that had great reviews, much better than the Whirlpools and others that I looked at, so I bought it, time will tell I guess. Now my beer fridge,...it's a small Frigidaire, it's been flawless so far. I had a Frigidaire in my old house and it performed flawlessly as well, but every Frigidaire side by side I looked at had horrible reviews,...so what do you do?
As I stated earlier, non of the "old school" brands are what they used to be. We live in a throw away society and it shows in items such as these.

That's some goofy low volume specialty refrigerator they just slap their name on, not the norm for Whirlpool.
They have had Whirlpool plants in China for over 10 years and some products are showing up in the USA. Have a look at this old press release.
4B6888FC-8955-4C63-8EA2-532E6D3C2076.png

They have had Whirlpool plants in China for over 10 years and some products are showing up in the USA. Have a look at this old press release.
View attachment 64520
You clearly didn't read this did you? Your posting a article that concerns washing machines.This concerns Whirlpool refrigerators.

Frigerators are made in Amana Iowa.

Last edited:
Miele makes some excellent appliances, including refrigerators:
Yup. All our appliances are Miele. Buy it once and enjoy it. We got the 10 year warranty on all of them. Only needed to use once with a bad temp sensor on our dishwasher. Honestly, buying the extended warranty was a waste.

todays appliances are a crap shoot as many better brands + now owned by others. i have-had several reliable whirlpool products in the past + all were fine, BUT girlfriends front loader crapped out after 5 yrs, $500 for a circuit board!!!! my older similar is doing fine. we both do minimal wash weekly usually only one load + IMO should get 20 years service BUT many products are crap. Aunts Frigidare appliances were cheep + all failed early!!!

I agree with avoiding Samsung. I have a samsung refrigerator. It is quiet, I did get the ice maker fixed under the class action warranty.

I think the more these appliances are energy efficient, the short their lifespans.

Unfortunately it seems that non of these brands are what they used to be. Buy a MAYTAG, you're actually buying a whirlpool product now, complete with burning control panels in the dishwashers. I had a Whirlpool dishwasher's control panel pop and burn one evening and when I started looking at other dishwashers, I found that all of the reviews were horrible, no matter the brand.
As for refrigerators, I found a Samsung that had great reviews, much better than the Whirlpools and others that I looked at, so I bought it, time will tell I guess. Now my beer fridge,...it's a small Frigidaire, it's been flawless so far. I had a Frigidaire in my old house and it performed flawlessly as well, but every Frigidaire side by side I looked at had horrible reviews,...so what do you do?
As I stated earlier, non of the "old school" brands are what they used to be. We live in a throw away society and it shows in items such as these.

Most people aren't going to rain praise on their kitchen appliances, they'll generally only post if they're frustrated and having an issue.