15 month old Whirlpool refrigerator... not field repairable.

Every refrigerator I've ever had, including growing up has had a water dispenser and ice maker. None have ever broken.
Even with my bonehead move of plumbing my fridge into the main water supply to my house before the water softener (water isn’t nearly as hard as what our old city water was though), the soluble iron in our water has yet to affect ours. Imagine my surprise when I opened the valve and I heard water start flowing despite the valve being off before the house filter!

I will say though…. For about 8 months our ice maker wasn’t working at all, then suddenly one day a few weeks ago it started working again with absolutely 0 input from us. I’m chalking that up to black magic wizardry.

We thought about getting one too but we have areas with one or two steps up or down all over the place plus multiple floors plus my kids leave **** everywhere - I fear the thing would spend most it's time stuck in a corner somewhere.
Yeah steps would be a problem. We don’t have little kids but we have to pick after our dogs who are 10 years old but think they are puppies. The Roomba will only get surface dirt so I run the Miele once in a while…or at least I plan to!

Even with my bonehead move of plumbing my fridge into the main water supply to my house before the water softener (water isn’t nearly as hard as what our old city water was though), the soluble iron in our water has yet to affect ours. Imagine my surprise when I opened the valve and I heard water start flowing despite the valve being off before the house filter!

I will say though…. For about 8 months our ice maker wasn’t working at all, then suddenly one day a few weeks ago it started working again with absolutely 0 input from us. I’m chalking that up to black magic wizardry.
Our 2 year old whirlpool bottom freezer fridge does that occasionally. Once I went into diagnostic mode (google it) and it reported an error code which would require ice maker replacement. Instead I cycled the power and Eureka the ice maker worked again. Now I don't bother with checking for problems. I just reboot the fridge whenever the ice starts running out.

Agree with the statement except getting a used FREE fridge. Often times hauling a fridge around can cause damage and IMO not worth doing (and to be fair a good used fridge won't be free, people will sell them instead).

Low tech without ice maker / water dispenser is key, I disconnected mine despite having it.

Wonder if there's a way to find a not too ugly commercial fridge for most home, you don't hear fridge failing in restaurants left and right.
I recall many commercial fridges have 2 big problems for home use: no freezer, and they run on 220V.

I have a Frigidaire refrigerator from 2001 still working fine. In my experience dishwashers are the most problematic of any appliance. We replaced the dishwasher already in our house with a new Whirlpool. The 2001 GE microwave is still working. I tend to like Whirlpool washer / dryers and dishwashers and Frigidaire fridges.

I still think the old Kenmore branded appliances from Sears used to be the best with least problems. Growing up in a house of 6 we used the same Kenmore appliances including washer/dryer for 20+ years without an issue. The house was sold as I got older and all were still working. The older 2000s GE microwaves are tanks and go on forever.

The new fridges with built-in tablets to me are throwaway appliances. Simpler is better in my opinion. Even ice makers tend to be the weak spot.
I'm still using a Kenmore fridge that is AT LEAST 35 years old. When I sold my house, I looked around, saw what was available, bought a new fridge...left it in my old house, and brought the old on with me.

Our stoves and dishwashers usually last for around 20 years.

It seems like three ingredients in the recipe work best.

1) Basic model
2) Maintaining both which few people don't do.
3) Spacing out usage whenever possible.

I had a perfect refrigerator that I got for $125 way back in the 1990s. When we temporarily moved to NC for graduate school my mom decided to give it to our next door neighbor and bought a new one.

It maybe lasted 8 years. Plenty of repairs. Then naturally my mom and wife decided to get another one without my input. This one is already on its second compressor and when that one conks out, I'm going back to the absolute basic units. We don't need water because there is a water filter attached to the kitchen sink and ice can easily be made with ice trays in the freezer.

Heck, I may buy a couple of spare compressors with the way COVID and discontinued parts support is going.

GE basic appliances work great for us.

Need something very basic without all the bells and whistles.

Our stoves and dishwashers usually last for around 20 years.

It seems like three ingredients in the recipe work best.

1) Basic model
2) Maintaining both which few people don't do.
3) Spacing out usage whenever possible.

I had a perfect refrigerator that I got for $125 way back in the 1990s. When we temporarily moved to NC for graduate school my mom decided to give it to our next door neighbor and bought a new one.

It maybe lasted 8 years. Plenty of repairs. Then naturally my mom and wife decided to get another one without my input. This one is already on its second compressor and when that one conks out, I'm going back to the absolute basic units. We don't need water because there is a water filter attached to the kitchen sink and ice can easily be made with ice trays in the freezer.

Heck, I may buy a couple of spare compressors with the way COVID and discontinued parts support is going.
My Kenmore has an icemaker...I admit, I like it. Ice through the door, though-no way.

Back