15" mission tires on megalite 23LT, many ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.
have a megalite 23LT by extreme-rvs with a gross rating of 7640 lbs. The tires that came with it are mission st205/75r15 load rating C.
My first question is anybody know what the rim size would be? And if I were to stay with a 15" tire what would be a good tire? I would prefer a load rating of D rather than C. I think they are just getting by as cheap as possible with C tires. I googled trailer tires quick for 205/75-15 and got little but a lot more comes up for like 225/75 or 225/70....
but it looks like there's plenty of room for a 16" tire which I'm sure will have a much higher load rating. And until I get the thing weighed I don't know actually how much it weighs but I know once I get everything loaded in it and especially what it will be used for it is going to exceed that weight rating especially when stationary with a bunch of equipment and people in it.
And where's a good place to buy trailer tires and what's a good brand?

Originally Posted By: 1 FMF
And until I get the thing weighed I don't know actually how much it weighs but I know once I get everything loaded in it and especially what it will be used for it is going to exceed that weight rating especially when stationary with a bunch of equipment and people in it.
Well, the good news is I don't think you have to worry about overloading & blowouts when it's STATIONARY!!
lol.gif
Those are the tires we run on our company's United enclosed trailer, & every one we've tried has been JUNK-avoid Power King, Freestar & Carlisle for sure! My old open trailer has ancient Goodyear Low Boy 14.5 inch TWELVE ply rated on it, wish they made them in 15s!

I would only use the Goodyear Marathons. They only make a Load range C in ST205/75R15 but will hold up way better than Carlisle. The only brand I know of that makes a Load Range D trailer tire in your size is Carlisle but I've seen the Goodyears hold up WAY better when being overloaded. We see Carlisles blow out often in the summer at my work so we recomend Goodyears to everyone. They are usually $15+ more per tire than the Carlisles but are way better.

It's been my experience that trailer manufacturers under size their tires and underestimate the amount of stuff people put in their trailers. By all means weigh it.

Second, the size of the rim ought to be stamped on it somewhere - perhaps on the back side. It's important because an ST205/75R15 will fit on 5" to 6½" rims where a ST225/75R15 will fit on 6" to 7".

If the rim is a 6", and you want to use the 225's, then be aware that there is suspension travel and the tire deflects when cornering. You'll need more room than you think.

At the Trailer Life forum there are a ton of discussions about RV tires. Most brands seem to suffer blow outs and tread seperations including Goodyear. It is hard to seperate fact from fiction but it seems that when Goodyear outsourced the Marathon tire line to China to be manufactured the problems started to surface. Luckily they have started making at least some of the sizes, if not all, back in the USA. The only brand that I've never heard a complaint on is Maxxis. Those started to pick up in popularity when GY outsourced to China. Most Maxxis trailer tires seem to be made in Taiwan, mine were. It might vary by size or model. I bought 5 Maxxis tires for my trailer last year and so far so good. It was 9 years old at the time and new to me and had original tires on it. I probably would have gone with the GY's if they were made in the USA at the time. I upgraded from 175/80R13C to 185/80R13C tires. I've got about 3k miles on them with last years travel.

forgot to ask, what about duro tires?

they have a D rating that I was interested in, and I think are Taiwan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back