15 Forester - Symptom of rear spring going out?

My wife is the primary driver of this vehicle. She was complaining about tire air pressure being low. So I thought of filling the air up. When I went to the car, I noticed that the rear wheel well is much smaller and the car looks like suspensions are shot, just from the outside. Usually, the space between the tire and the well wall is about 5 inches. This is little over an inch.

We have received the rear spring recall letter but I have not scheduled appt. Thought I will just let this COVID thing settle down, esp when we are in a hotspot.

I just want to confirm that this is the symptom of rear springs going out. If it is safe to drive to the dealership, about 3 miles from my place?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thanks in advance

Internet troubleshooting yields nothing but guesses. A broken piece of spring could be touching the inside of the tire. Is it safe for 3 miles? No one here can really tell.

I would jack up the that side and take a look with a flashlight. Its the only way to be sure.

Be careful. I had a broken spring on my Saab it broke in my driveway. Couldn't really move it. When we got it out, the tire was ruined as the spring had stabbed it..

Given that you have multiple hints that something is wrong, I wouldn't push your luck. Good news is it's on the rear, so if something bad happened, it might not be as dire as the front... but get it fixed immediately. I would consider smooth surface streets around town if she has been driving it recently, but nothing more than to the dealer.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Be careful. I had a broken spring on my Saab it broke in my driveway. Couldn't really move it. When we got it out, the tire was ruined as the spring had stabbed it..

Given that you have multiple hints that something is wrong, I wouldn't push your luck. Good news is it's on the rear, so if something bad happened, it might not be as dire as the front... but get it fixed immediately. I would consider smooth surface streets around town if she has been driving it recently, but nothing more than to the dealer.

This is exactly what I am worried about. What if the spring is on its last leg and a minor bump and BAM, the car literally sits down and doesn't move it even breaks the strut. (Is this possible?) I have scheduled the appt now in 12 days (nothing available immediately and I do not want to go to the town away dealership for the above reason). Until this is fixed, Forester will be parked and she will use the other car.

My question is if this is a hint to something else too? Should I get it checked by our mechanic before heading to the dealership to avoid surprises? I don't think I am qualified enough to figure out if something is not right.

If its broken have it towed. If not just drive carefelly since its only 3 miles.
You not moving the space shuttle to the launch pad here
smile.gif

If it's sitting that low on ONE side it' s likely already broken.

heres a bad one:

[Linked Image]

My VW had a rear coil spring recall too.

The Replacements were WORSE then the original - too soft and car sits low in the rear with a load

(me).

There is a recall on 13-18 Foresters for rear coil springs and I think it was specifically intended to address situations such as this one.

Last edited:
In the picture above about the tech mentioned that the pigtail on the bottom of the spring broke and then the spring dropped off the lower perch. Its NOT supposed to be sitting on the lower wishbone.

This should be double wishbone rear suspension design, so that is not a "strut" in the classic definition - just a coil -over shock. as it perform no location (camber and caster positioning ) of the rear knuckle and hub assembly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
If its broken have it towed. If not just drive carefelly since its only 3 miles.
You not moving the space shuttle to the launch pad here
smile.gif

If it's sitting that low on ONE side it' s likely already broken.

heres a bad one:

My VW had a rear coil spring recall too.

The Replacements were WORSE then the original - too soft and car sits low in the rear with a load

(me).

Thank you for the image.

Can you clarify where is it 'broken'? I see it is not centered and scraping the rubber.

I just tried to check but this is on the passenger rear. The area is not clearly visible due to the exhaust muffler. I will try to jack up later and try to see it. Hopefully, I will be able to take a picture and post it here.

And yes, it is low on one side only.

Last edited:
Since you know there is a recall on it, schedule the appt. Dealer service departments are still open
smile.gif

Three miles shouldn't be a problem

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
Can you clarify where is it 'broken'? I see it is not centered and scraping the rubber.

I just tried to check but this is on the passenger rear. The area is not clearly visible due to the exhaust muffler. I will try to jack up later and try to see it. Hopefully, I will be able to take a picture and post it here.

And yes, it is low on one side only.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
In the picture above about the tech mentioned that the pigtail on the bottom of the spring broke and then the spring dropped off the lower perch. Its NOT supposed to be sitting on the lower wishbone.

The perch is that horizontal disc about 3" below the rubber/plastic boot in the pic. The bottom of the spring is supposed to be sitting on it, not wrapping around and continuing below it. Compare to your other rear side.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9

The perch is that horizontal disc about 3" below the rubber/plastic boot in the pic. The bottom of the spring is supposed to be sitting on it, not wrapping around and continuing below it. Compare to your other rear side.

Thank you.
The other side is perfect, the lower side I will check when I jack the car. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by CT8
Bring the car to a shop.

More like have the car taken to a shop. Eg tow truck.

It's only 3 miles. It should be OK.

Depending.
smile.gif

On second thought, have it towed
smile.gif

Last edited:
Finally, today I got a chance to jack the car up to see whats wrong. Image below. The spring is broken and I found the broken part in the parking lot. Its half-round of a spring.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

So final question, drive or tow? I took 7.30 am appt at the service place so that I can go very slowly avoiding any potholes. Its just a short stretch (~200ft of road stretch) is wobbly, rest is smooth

Aside from that broken spring, that rear suspension looks super clean for a Subaru that's seen 5 NY winters!

Last edited:
Back