"15 Awful Convertibles"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PT Cruiser and Murano both look horrible as convertibles, but I guess not much better as hardtops when I think about it.

My girlfriend in high school had a Lebaron convertible. That POS would drip water from the windshield pillar right on my right thigh anytime it rained. This was only a 3 year old car at the time but man I hated it. Thanks for the memories!

Maybe because it's better than the Yugo?

Then again, a skateboard is better than a Yugo.

There are a few cars on that list that, while they never sold real big, I feel it is a real stretch to call them "awful". The Prowler was a great looking car. It only failed because hot rod people felt it was an insult to put such a weak engine in it.

The Thunderbird is also a very nice car. But Ford totally messed up on the introduction. After a big pre-production publicity campaign, they didn't release it until several months, going into years later. They kept working out several bugs. By the time they released it, enthusiasm had fell off, and many were concerned about the problems Ford had had with it. Plus, it was a little pricey for a Ford.

They both have appreciated in value, and are desirable collector cars. And I'd be thrilled to have either one.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
They forgot the Dodge Shelby Dakota convertible pickup...

I knew a guy who had one of those. First and last one I ever saw...

It's all a matter of taste. The T Bird chassis has Jaguar LS II running gear. I've heard . Its a little V8 Ford with styling cues from the '57 Bird, They run in the mid 15 K$. Same with the SSR. Id take the Lexus Or both "zukis. I wouldn't refuse the K car TC. A clean one is worth 10K$ A real one close to 100 K$ for a 48 T&C Until I get a garage to keep it in, it is theoretical. Closest I got got so far is the big sun roof on the 528e.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
There are a few cars on that list that, while they never sold real big, I feel it is a real stretch to call them "awful". The Prowler was a great looking car. It only failed because hot rod people felt it was an insult to put such a weak engine in it.

The Thunderbird is also a very nice car. But Ford totally messed up on the introduction. After a big pre-production publicity campaign, they didn't release it until several months, going into years later. They kept working out several bugs. By the time they released it, enthusiasm had fell off, and many were concerned about the problems Ford had had with it. Plus, it was a little pricey for a Ford.

They both have appreciated in value, and are desirable collector cars. And I'd be thrilled to have either one.

I love the Thunderbird. V8,2 seater,a BLAST to drive!! To make it perfect,all they needed was a manual tranny.

I dislike all convertibles. The sun beats on you and people sometimes want to talk to you at lights.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I dislike all convertibles. The sun beats on you and people sometimes want to talk to you at lights.

The last part is true. We get stoplight conversation all the time, usually from some attractive woman.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

They seem nice on a small islands with no fast driving. I grew up with an aunt on Nantucket having a Rabbit Convertible it was blast and still is when it runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back