15,916mi/Amsoil 5w-30(w/filter [email protected])/GXP-LS4

Status
Not open for further replies.
"It is too late at this point to switch to a different oil. The current run, for better or worse is Amsoil Signature Series 0w-30 for 15k with no filter changes and magnets clipped to the filter sides."

Don't have to get defensive about you oil choice! :p :p No one here will fault you for choosing SSO - it's an excellent oil, and it WILL be interesting to see a 15k run of it w/o a filter change. Its just always interesting to 'toss around' ides on what would work well on a car that see a lot of driving - it's a rolling test bed for oils, and its neat to compare different formulations.....

Looking forward to the SSO run.....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
For 15K run, the oil thickening to the upper edge of a 30/40 weight, I don't think, is a big deal. older TSO reports at this mileage would be almost a 50-weight!

I think Pablo's advice is best - you don't need the '0W' or even '5W' ability in Texas - go with something much more stable, like the straight 30-weight of ACD.

Be careful here. Texas is a huge state with a huge range of climate types. For instance - Amarillo,TX(panhandle) is well into the frigid zone and it's not uncommon to get heavy snowfall or even blizzard conditions. Lowest temp ever recorded there is -16F(-27 C). However, compared to Canada it seems very mild. Even in Dallas/Ft. Worth area one can see some rare snow fall and temps well into the lower teens(F) in Winter. I think a 5W is warranted in some of these areas.

But for central and south Texas, no need at all for 0W or 5W.

It always gives me a chuckle to here people from the North come to Dallas/Ft. Worth asking for windshield washer fluid rated to -20F or something
LOL.gif

The oil filter is supposed to last the oil change why did you change it? That is why it costs the big bucks it will last the mileage.

K@N filters are the wrong filters to use when doing extended interval oil changes, in fact why would anybody run a K@N filter.

Have to disagree, been using the K&Ns for years with extended OCI, why, because flow is more important then filtration IMO and K&N are built like tanks and flow well. Easily run a year with them well over in a few cases and easilty 12,000-15,000 miles. By the way, I have UOA with other filters being used and there is not difference, they are all pretty much the same for filtration, useless!

Oil filters IMO are useless appendages on todays engines

Originally Posted By: Spector
Have to disagree, been using the K&Ns for years with extended OCI, why, because flow is more important then filtration IMO and K&N are built like tanks and flow well. Easily run a year with them well over in a few cases and easilty 12,000-15,000 miles. By the way, I have UOA with other filters being used and there is not difference, they are all pretty much the same for filtration, useless!

Oil filters IMO are useless appendages on todays engines

K&N air filter

Originally Posted By: TeeDub
Silicon is far too high!!! - I'd toss the K&N, go back to the OEM paper filter and wear rates will drop. The SSO/0w-30 should last 20%-25% longer than the regular ASL or ATM formulations, under the same conditions. I actually like the Amsoil Series 3000 the best for this application. The API/CI-4+, additive chemistry is still the most robust for high levels of oil contamination.

This oil has thickened slightly from 10.7 to 12.2 centistokes, but is still a 30wt - the SAE spec limit is 12.5 Cst.

I have seen paper pass as much dirt as a k&n filters.
I saw this demonstration at a booth "Trueit flow filtes at the Prformance Racing Indusrty show they have bi annually in Orlando Florida. I was suprised myself to see the paper firter cannot catch the smaller particles. I brought my own filter to the booth and we tested it and it was as good as the one demonstrated there. but both the K&N and oem paper FRAM passed plenty of dirt, special show dirt of course, basically dust in a glass jar.
dirt equals engine wear yes?

Originally Posted By: Steve S
The oil filter is supposed to last the oil change why did you change it? That is why it costs the big bucks it will last the mileage.

Steve, the previous oil change showed a higher amount of wear metals than I wanted. I wanted to see if changing the filter 1/2 way through the OCI (and the correlating makeup oil involved with a filter change) would help those numbers. It seemed to.

Now it is interesting to note that despite the filter change, this OCI of ASL got a lower TBN and showed viscosity thickening than my last ASL run. The only major difference (other than the filter change) was an additional 550 miles on this OCI.

Like I mentioned in another post... I don't reckon I need to replace a filter 1/2 way through the run again... I just wanted to see what would happen.

I put the Amsoil EAA panel air filter in with about 600 miles on this run.

I plan on running the SSO 0w-30 to about 15,000 miles, so the K&N would be in there for only about 4% of the OCI.

It will be interesting to see if the Silicon numbers drop significantly with the new nano-fiber filter.

Looking at the filter itself... the rubber/foam surround does not look as 'sturdy' as the rubber of the K&N. The Amsoil filter feels similar to paper. There were 75 pleats on the Amsoil filter... 32 on the K&N. The Amsoil filter looked like a solid brick of pleats (in other words... appeared restrictive)... but I have no idea about flow. Maybe it flows just fine.

Someone questioned my usiing the K&N. I believe in re-using products designed for that application. Also, I am aggresive with my v8, and I don't want it struggling for air when I lay into it. The Amsoil fits the re-usable bill... but like I said... no idea on the flow traits.

Tis no struggling for air unless the air filter is getting to the end of its service life. Your numbers are really fine The engine will last a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back