14 Silverado Cat. Back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any onwers of 2014 Silverado's with a 5.3 install a cat. back or muffler swap?
I swear my trucks exhaust is as quiet as a Caddy! Looking to upgrade the performance
and get a more aggressive exhaust note.

The cheapest way is to replace all boxes/mufflers/resonators with straight pipe, and leave only the catalytic converter and rear silencer in place.
Cheap, lighter than stock, looks stock, and sounds mean
wink.gif

I have a Gibson Performance single side swept cat back on my 2002 Suburban 5.3 and love the aggressive note. Not too loud inside the vehicle (it should be even quieter in your cab seeing as the muffler will be under the bed) and it really accentuates the V8 burble. They also have dual side swept and dual rear exit, both of which are louder than the single side swept, but not necessarily any better performance. And they are made right here in the USA, just a few miles from me!

I still have Gibson headers that I need to put on and can't wait for the sound then.

Muffler swap.
Today's fuel delivery systems depend on exhaust sensors. The placement of the sensors has been engineered so they are where they are for a reason. The ecu is programmed and it requires the data received from those sensors,so I suggest just changing the muffler.
Changing the entire exhaust,or parts of it that have sensors in it may confuse the ecu.
I went through this putting headers on a 4.6 4v engine. The engine ran very rich for much longer during the warm up phase and diluted the fuel horribly as well as killing my gas mileage.
It was because my headers required me to put the O2 sensors farther downstream which then confused the system.
So from that point on I learned even little things that seem trivial nay not be in the big picture.
So yeah. Change muffler. Live happily ever after.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
First world problems what a waste of time IMO. You have different feelings.

Cool input, dave.
06.gif

OP, I have always had great luck with Magnaflow products.

FWIW a friend of mine has a Dodge Charger with single exhaust, and he wanted a little more sound to it. On his car, the resonator actually made a big difference just by removing it. I don't know how the new Silverado is configured, but if it has one, consider running a straight pipe instead.

I like Dynomax. They have single and dual exit Ultra Flo stainless kits for 2014 Silverados, but only for the Double Cab and Crew Cab. Their kits have a lifetime warranty.

I put a Dynomax Super Turbo cat back single side exit kit on my old Ranger. It sounded great for being a 4 cyl...had a nice deep tone without any 4 cyl raspy sound. The fit of the kit was perfect. Super easy install. In my case though, the kit didn't cost much more than having a muffler shop weld in a different muffler ($170).

On your truck, the available kits, even Dynomax, will probably be $500+, so just replacing the muffler will be a lot cheaper.

As long as the OP expects more noise and little else a cat back is a great way to get it. It won't mess up any of the important sensors, etc., and is generally a bolt in item.

One thing I can tell you is that whisper quiet exhaust ages out well with higher miles...

I would do just a muffler swap with whatever muffler u like best. It's gonna be mainly for sound. I prefer dynomax ultra flo mufflers. If u want more performance, spend the money elsewhere

Silverado12 My 2014 has a extra resonator after the muffler just
behind the rear axle. I have a REG. CAB Reg box and having difficulty
finding a cat. back. I just may go with either a Dynomax or Magnaflow
muffler.
Thanks for all the replies,appreciate the advise.

Originally Posted By: jims5600
Any onwers of 2014 Silverado's with a 5.3 install a cat. back or muffler swap?
I swear my trucks exhaust is as quiet as a Caddy! Looking to upgrade the performance
and get a more aggressive exhaust note.

I visit the K2 board (2014+ GM trucks) at gm-trucks.com and I know a few people have removed the factory muffler but left the resonator in place. Probably the cheapest method of gaining sound but not being overly loud while cruising (from what I've read). If you do a youtube search for "2014 silverado muffler delete" there are multiple videos.

Is there a local reputable exhaust shop? I had local shop do a custom exhaust on the Trans Am and my old 04 Silverado. They did a great job and it was reasonable. A cat back won't mess with the sensors and even if you do most exhaust shops are able to weld the bungs in for any sensors you may need.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Muffler swap.
Today's fuel delivery systems depend on exhaust sensors. The placement of the sensors has been engineered so they are where they are for a reason. The ecu is programmed and it requires the data received from those sensors,so I suggest just changing the muffler.
Changing the entire exhaust,or parts of it that have sensors in it may confuse the ecu.
I went through this putting headers on a 4.6 4v engine. The engine ran very rich for much longer during the warm up phase and diluted the fuel horribly as well as killing my gas mileage.
It was because my headers required me to put the O2 sensors farther downstream which then confused the system.
So from that point on I learned even little things that seem trivial nay not be in the big picture.
So yeah. Change muffler. Live happily ever after.

a catback system will not effect the ecu. he's not talking about putting long tubes on the truck

When I had my 2001 F150 w/ 5.4 I cut the ginormous factory muffler out and put the smallest Magnaflow muffler I could buy in it's place. At idle it gave a hint of a rumble and under normal driving you could NOT hear it in the cab. Stick your foot to the floor and you and everyone around you knew it wasn't stock. I miss that sound.

I put a Dynomax muffler on my '97 Dakota. It had a cheap Flowmaster dual pipe setup when I bought it...I took that junk off quick. The world doesn't need any more loud pickup trucks in my opinion...or North Carolina doesn't, anyway. The Dynomax made it sound like the factory exhaust on the '08 Ram we have at work...it's aggressive, and louder than some stock systems, but far quieter than "loud pipes" that many install around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back