14 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi - oil weight/grade questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zogg
I just upgraded to a 2014 Ram 2500 Hemi 5.7 yesterday. It does NOT have the MDS system. In reading the owners manual, it says:

Use 5w20 oil unless GVW is 14,000, then use 5w30.

Well, I am over 14,000 pounds with my RV, but certainly at 6,200 pounds without it. Certainly, I am not going to change my oil every time I tow...ugh:roflsquared:

SO, I am thinking that 0w30 all around my be a good middle of the road deal....anyone have any suggestions??? Thanks
Use a 5w-30 syn oil and call it a day.

Good upgrade! My 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 is my only mode of transportation during this Blizzard we are having in the North East. Goes right through this stuff!

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: Clevy

MDS isn't an option on the heavy duty trucks ie the 2500 and up models.

According to the RAM Chief Engineer, it is.

I love It!!!

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Sorry mustang. I love you but until ford can engineer cylinder deactivation into their engines I'm gonna be dodge friendly.

This is compelling as an avid Ford guy finds a new love.

MDS is the most totally transparent system of cylinder deactivation I have ever driven.

Our new Ram with 3.91 gears consistently returns over 18 mpg in the city with a female driver known for her lead foot. Amazing that 395 hp can be so frugal with fuel...

Well, last year when I was test driving Challengers trying to decide which performance car I wanted to buy, The MDS system was one of the things that turned me off about the car. I know some people say they can't tell when it kicks in and out but on the two cars I drove, it was very noticeable to me. It felt like the car was missing for a few seconds.

Both cars both had lags in initial acceleration as well. Don't get me wrong, I think the Challenger is the best looking one out of the Mustang and Camaro but I don't like the MDS system and don't want a vehicle with it. I'm glad that Ford didn't go that route with the Mustang and when they do, I won't be buying another.

I didn't buy my Mustang for fuel economy and could care less about that in this type of car. I know that others feel different though. I'm averaging around 23-24 mpg on my 5.0 which I think is fine.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd
Well, last year when I was test driving Challengers trying to decide which performance car I wanted to buy, The MDS system was one of the things that turned me off about the car. I know some people say they can't tell when it kicks in and out but on the two cars I drove, it was very noticeable to me. It felt like the car was missing for a few seconds.

Both cars both had lags in initial acceleration as well. Don't get me wrong, I think the Challenger is the best looking one out of the Mustang and Camaro but I don't like the MDS system and don't want a vehicle with it. I'm glad that Ford didn't go that route with the Mustang and when they do, I won't be buying another.

I didn't buy my Mustang for fuel economy and could care less about that in this type of car. I know that others feel different though. I'm averaging around 23-24 mpg on my 5.0 which I think is fine.

Wayne

Nothing wrong with the Mustang at all. I had both a 2012 5.0 and a 2012 Shelby GT500 and loved them. I currently have the 5.7L Hemi with A8 transmissions in both my Ram and Challenger. Both have MDS. In the truck you would never know. In the Challenger R/T it is a little more apparent (sound primarily) when running in standard mode but I detect no lag in acceleration. However, sport mode changes the transmission shift points and throttle response (as well as steering feel). It becomes an entirely different (and more fun) car to drive. All you have to do is push a button on the dash. This is not the time or place to get into a comparison between the Mustangs and the Challenger. I will say I am happy with my choice so far.

Last edited:
Just run the weight that the truck mostly see's. I'm guessing occasional camper use with mostly around town driving? Than 0w20.

Heavy duty truck manuals are written with how they might be used in mind. Not everyone idles around town using a fraction of its capacity all day. A lot of 3/4 ton Ram's have the beds taken off and are used as utility trucks, or tow trailers 95% of the time.

I know a landscaper with three 1 ton Ram's and those trucks are only unhooked from their trailers in the fall when the sanders and plows are put on. His guys drive the trucks much harder than 99% of private guys who tow a trailer on the weekends do, every single day WOT to the next job times probably about 30.

That's when you have to worry about the higher GVW.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back