'14 Odyessy 70k - which grade 5w30 vs 20w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Friend of mine, he lived in the middle east where the climate is very hot ranges between (28 to 50 C) all year. So, he asked me what type of oil he should use in '14 odyssey (70k miles). I told him to use 0w20 but he said this grade is not available in the market locally.

From 0W30 to 15W40 SN or dual rated HDEO.
20W50 is sort of overkill ..... and probably lower API specs in SL/SJ/SG depending on markets.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
What viscosities is he able to get?

He can get anything between 5w30 to 20w50

An A3/B4 0w40 will be good for this application it is recommended by Honda for the 3.5, forget 0w20 in this climate it is neither approved or recommended for this engine where he is.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
20w-50 is way too thick for a Honda.

This

I'm a thick oil guy and I'd never run 20W50 in a Honda. Thickest I've seen recommend is Shell Australia recommends 5W40 for some Hondas.

Originally Posted By: Smoqueed
If he can get Mobil 1 0w40, I'd go with that. It's a very thin 40 weight oil, and it's also very stout

0w40 is not available either. In fact, any 0wXX is not available in their market.

Also he mentioned that their market have Shell Helix and Liqui Moly which he would like to use

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Triton_330
20w-50 is way too thick for a Honda.

This

I'm a thick oil guy and I'd never run 20W50 in a Honda. Thickest I've seen recommend is Shell Australia recommends 5W40 for some Hondas.

Yeah, and I know it's especially true for VTEC engines; too thick of oil can kill them suckers. But it's probably almost as true for non-VTEC Honda's anyways.

Originally Posted By: momo
Originally Posted By: Smoqueed
If he can get Mobil 1 0w40, I'd go with that. It's a very thin 40 weight oil, and it's also very stout

0w40 is not available either. In fact, any 0wXX is not available in their market.

PM member Falcon_LS he lives in Kuwait and does a lot of work on cars there, he can tell you whats available. They have car problems from heat related issues we cant even imagine.

Originally Posted By: Trav

PM member Falcon_LS he lives in Kuwait and does a lot of work on cars there, he can tell you whats available. They have car problems from heat related issues we cant even imagine.

Sure, thanks

A decent offering that meets MB Sheet 229.5. Fuchs Titan SuperSyn 5W-40 or Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 are both safe bets. If he is willing to pay for PAO, Genuine AMG High Performance 0W-40 (rebranded Petronas Syntium 7000) from the Mercedes-Benz dealer.

Longest drain interval - 5,000 km or 1 year. Replace the air filter every 10,000 km - do NOT blow it with compressed air to get rid of the dust.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
A decent offering that meets MB Sheet 229.5. Fuchs Titan SuperSyn 5W-40 or Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 are both safe bets. If he is willing to pay for PAO, Genuine AMG High Performance 0W-40 (rebranded Petronas Syntium 7000) from the Mercedes-Benz dealer.

Longest drain interval - 5,000 km or 1 year. Replace the air filter every 10,000 km - do NOT blow it with compressed air to get rid of the dust.

Why would it be such a short interval .... for above oil types?
Care to elaborate?
Honda Malaysia recommends 10,000 km OCI for Euro IIM gasoline, which I deem conservative.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

Why would it be such a short interval .... for above oil types?
Care to elaborate?
Honda Malaysia recommends 10,000 km OCI for Euro IIM gasoline, which I deem conservative.

+1

I am curious too.

Because you are using synthetic oil for the protection it provides, not extended oil changes. Sure, Honda can go ahead and recommend 10,000 km drain intervals to sell their cars, because less maintenance is a selling point anywhere in the world, but you cannot compare Malaysia to the likes of Kuwait or Saudi. That is apples to oranges. Four days ago, we had an ambient of 144 F, the heat kills everything in short order here.

Picture this - an ambient of 130 F and extremely fine widespread blowing dust that gets caught in the radiator fins, you're stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for 45 minutes to commute 10 miles with the AC on full blast. Your cylinder head temperatures an optimistic average of 218 F - 222 F, your electric fan kicks in at high speed with reduced efficiency due to dust and works even harder, putting a load on your already burdened electrical system. You get up to 10 MPH to move 60 ft and stop again. Add horrible fuel quality to the equation and you have a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back