'14 Hond CR V AWD service

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan to change the factory fill at 2k miles, then there after every 5k. Don't drive usually more than 10-12 miles per trip. Now, in regards to the power steering fluid, brake fluid, etc. how often should those be flushed? Can I just top off if needed? Honda's manual doesn't state when to flush or change the fluids so I thought y'all would! Thanks for the help! And for those who care, I plan to run M1 0w-20 AFE with a fram ultra. The ultra will see 2 oci's (10k miles).

5k? is the engine Direct Injection? I would personally follow Honda maintenance minder, their engines are generally bullet proof. your choice of oil & filter is just fine and will serve you right.

being it's a Honda, their power steering fluid is of good quality.

* Power Steering Fluid every 60k, front tires in air, disconnect return line and put that into a clear bottle, plug up or connect another hose raised higher then the fluid reservoir to prevent any fluid leakage from the reservoir, keep the fluid top off as someone else takes the steering wheel from one side fully lock to the other until fresh fluid comes out of the return hose.

* Brake Fluid, I have read it's good for 2 years, I highly doubt that, most of our cars until recently had 150k+ without EVER having fluid changed, but I would recommend a compatible brake fluid changed every 5 years.

* ATF, just do the D & R with either Amsoil ATF or Honda ATF every 40-60k, I doubt your automatic transmission will ever really have any issues if this is done.

* Coolant, I would do a complete flush using distilled water to drain & refill, and actually drive it around normally to get the fluid to circulate until CLEAR fluid comes out, it took me 8 D&R on the most recent car I did this on and about a weeks worth of driving as I want the fluid to fully circulate as much as possible, once clear distilled water is draining out, re-fill with full strength coolant of your choice to 50% of the total vehicle capacity and top off with distilled water if needed after driving for a few days. I would recommend this every 150k or 7-10 years, as I believe 5 years is too short of a time spam for coolant to breakdown or rather coolant's additive to deplete.

Last edited:
Stick with the FF for the entire OCI as suggested by the OLM. This has break in additives your car needs for its first 6-8k. As far as other fluids, your Maintenance Minder in your Honda will tell you when to change certain fluids. You can also check your manual. I would also stick with Honda fluids during the course of the warranty. My CRV has a lifetime powertrain warranty so it will always get Honda fluids in the tranny!

Honda recommends brake fluid replacement every 36 months. They charge around $60 so not a huge expense.

I would stick with the Honda transmission fluid and coolant. In fact I just did a drain and fill on my wife's 08 CR-V a few weeks back with Honda coolant.

I'm not sure if the 2014 AWD's require the rear diff fluid to be changed at the same interval as the 08's but it too requires a special fluid.....Honda Dual Pump Fluid 2.

FWIW, I have followed the maintenance minder for oil changes on our CR-V. The minder has always gotten to 15% at around 9,500 miles or so. I have mostly run M1-EP 5w-20.

This is for the 2.0 petrol engine which I presume you have???

NORMAL SERVICE

Air filter
every 37,500 miles

Antifreeze
first change at 120,000 miles/120 months; then every 60,000 miles/60 months

Automatic transmission oil
first change at 75,000 miles/96 months; then every 50,000 miles/48 months

Brake fluid
every 36 months

Engine oil
Every 12,500 miles/12 months

Filter, interior air
Every 25,000 miles/24 months

Fuel filter
Every 75,000 miles/72 months

Oil filter

Spark plug
every 75,000 miles

SEVERE SERVICE

Air filter
every 18,750 miles

Antifreeze

first change at 37,500 miles/48 months; then every 25,000 miles/24 months

Brake fluid
every 36 months

Engine oil
Every 6,250 miles/6 months

Filter, interior air

Fuel filter

Oil filter

Spark plug
every 75,000 miles

Originally Posted By: riggaz
This is for the 2.0 petrol engine which I presume you have???

NORMAL SERVICE

Air filter
every 37,500 miles

Antifreeze

Brake fluid
every 36 months

Engine oil

Filter, interior air

Fuel filter

Oil filter

Spark plug
every 75,000 miles

SEVERE SERVICE

Air filter
every 18,750 miles

Antifreeze

Brake fluid
every 36 months

Engine oil

Filter, interior air

Fuel filter

Oil filter

Spark plug
every 75,000 miles

CR-V's have a 2.4 liter engine in the states.

You guys must be on the previous version (RE) over there maybe, on my system the engine choices for the RM's are 1.6 and 2.2 diesels and a 2.0ltr petrol. Anyway, hopefully this is the correct one...

HONDA CR-V (RE) 2.4 i-Vtec

NORMAL SERVICE

Air filter
every 25,000 miles

Antifreeze
first change at 125,000 miles/120 months; then every 62,500 miles/60 months

Brake fluid
every 36 months

Engine oil

Filter, interior air

Fuel filter

Oil filter

Spark plug
every 75,000 miles

SEVERE SERVICE

Air filter
every 12,500 miles

Antifreeze
first change at 125,000 miles/120 months; then every 62,500 miles/60 months

Brake fluid
every 36 months

Engine oil

Filter, interior air

Fuel filter

Oil filter

Spark plug
every 75,000 miles

The 2008 CR-V's have a computer driven maintenance minder that gives you a code every so many miles. You then look the code up in the maintenance guide and perform the corresponding maintenance. I changed my plugs a little over 100,000 miles when the maintenance minder indicated it was time to do so. FWIW, they looked very good ecpecially considering they had 100,000 miles and were 6 years old.

That is a good system, is there a reset procedure so the computer knows you've completed it?

Iridium plugs always look good, you have to look really carefully at the electrode to spot the wear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: riggaz
That is a good system, is there a reset procedure so the computer knows you've completed it?

Iridium plugs always look good, you have to look really carefully at the electrode to spot the wear.

Yes, you do reset the system. Once you reset the computer it will read that you have 100% of your oil life yet. As the miles rack up, it begins a count down so to speak, in 10% increments until you get to 20% left. The next increment is then 15% and you get a light informing you to perform maintenance. The maintenance that you do is given in the form of a letter followed by a number....such as "A 16". You then go to your maintenance guide and follow what the schedule tells you to do for that particular code.

I always change my oil within a couple hundred miles or so of reaching the 15% mark. I assume it will continue to count down to 0% left.

Last edited:
Yes, the a 2014 CR-V has electric power steering. I don't think there's a fluid reservoir for that. The owner's manual recommends a brake fluid change very 3 years, regardless of miles. This is what I do with our CR-V...

Every 5k:
Change oil and filter
Rotate tires

Every 15k:
Turkey baster PS fluid exchange
ATF drain and fill (though I may go to every 30k miles on this)
Cabin air filter

Every 50k:
Rear differential fluid drain and fill
Coolant drain and fill
Brake fluid exchange (approximately every 4 years)
Engine air filter

Every 100k:
Replace spark plugs

I enjoy maintaining our vehicles. Sometimes I wish they required more than they do. It's a hobby of mine, and mental therapy. Our CR-V has about 93k miles on it now, and I'm looking forward to doing its major 100k mile service next spring.

Originally Posted By: asharris7
^Air filter every 50k? I thought it was supposed to be once a year?

Honda doesn't publish a change interval, except that the "air cleaner element" is included in the "2" service. Both the "air cleaner element" and the "dust and pollen filter" should be changed if driven in dusty conditions or in urban areas where there is a lot of soot from industry and/or diesel engines. I don't fall into those categories.

Dirty air filters trap more contaminants than new ones; it's not until it becomes really caked with dirt that you lose some capacity. So I leave engine air filters in as long as I can. Even 50k miles, frankly, is likely more often than really necessary, but it's an easy-to-remember mileage.

I do the cabin air filter every 15k miles, or about once a year, because it sees a lot of loose garbage like bugs, like pollen, like pine straw, etc. The engine air filter is shielded from much of that.

jfi, before Honda adopted the MM system with its "A" and "B" service intervals, the mileage benchmark for a coolant change was once every 90k miles (later changed to 105k miles) or 10 years. Automatic transmission fluid changes were every 60k miles. Like Hokiefyd, however, I'm more conscientious about fluid changes, particularly when it comes to ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back