'14 Grand Cherokee - Transmission Service?

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Wondering if I should get the transmission serviced on the '14 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4. It has 137k miles, no CarFax history of it being done. My grandpa had bought it 1/2018 at 102k miles and we haven't done anything. It shifts ok for the most part. The first 1-2 shift of the day is sometimes a little delayed/rough but not awful.

If the consensus is yes, any specific type of shops? The dealer? Wondering if a dealer would actually be willing to do it.

Wondering if I should get the transmission serviced on the '14 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4. It has 137k miles, no CarFax history of it being done. My grandpa had bought it 1/2018 at 102k miles and we haven't done anything. It shifts ok for the most part. The first 1-2 shift of the day is sometimes a little delayed/rough but not awful.

If the consensus is yes, any specific type of shops? The dealer? Wondering if a dealer would actually be willing to do it.
Get the transmission service fresh fluid and filter. It will only prolong the life of the transmission

The ZF 8HP is a excellent unit & worthy of a Pan/Filter change & fresh ZF ATF. I do a lot of ZF 8HP services because the dealers say it's a lifetime fluid. I even let customers supply OE Pan/Filter assemblies & Fluid but I charge a 3 hour minimum.

The ZF 8HP is a ultra low wear unit in standard use/duty cycle applications so it's difficult to nail down a service interval below 100,000 miles, 137K.....Do It!

Last edited:
It is an expensive endeavor. Parts alone are almost $400.

1663690592851.jpg

I know doorman tends to not a be a popular choice, but I've read time and time again that their 8hp45 / 8hp70 pans work well. PPE makes an excellent one too, but I'm not sure it will fit a Grand Cherokee.

I would avoid the Autotecnica brand aluminum pan w/ replaceable filter. Two people over at a Ram forum I frequent tried these pans on their 8hp70 recently They seemed to fit fine w/ no leaks, but they wound up with electronic shift errors., like the internal dimensions of the pan interfered with moving parts.

I made the mistake of buying one of those pans through RockAuto some months ago. It's an $85 paperweight at this point.

I know doorman tends to not a be a popular choice, but I've read time and time again that their 8hp45 / 8hp70 pans work well. PPE makes an excellent one too, but I'm not sure it will fit a Grand Cherokee.
Ironically, the Doorman pan is more expensive than Mopar.

• Helpful
Reactions: JTK
Yeah that pan and fluid add up quick. A 14 GC is 1.4 hours just for drain and fill. Not including the pan.

I mostly do drain and fills since the filter is so costly

I also look at the data for the clutches and can see if they are healthy or if the customer will just throw away $

Back