14 Forester XT Starter Going Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced the starter yesterday afternoon and it wasn't too bad. The only hiccup was when I had the starter fully bolted into place and realized I'd forgotten to install the ground strap on the top mounting bolt!
33.gif

The intercooler also gave me a little bit of trouble but wasn't too bad. It took me maybe five minutes of finagling (and carefully minding the fragile cooling fins) to finally get it fully seated. I tried to clean the throttle body plate while I was in there, but you have to work under the intake without much room, so I did the best I could. The intake side of the plate wasn't too dirty, but you could see a ring of filth around the plate, which I cleaned as best I could with throttle body cleaner.

After everything was buttoned up and I triple checked that I hadn't forgotten anything I attempted a start.

Tee-tee-tee VROOM instead of Err-Err-Err Whiiirrr --> sounded like a brand-new car, though the starting was a bit slow...

I tried a few more times (letting the car run, settle, off, settle each time) and noted it would click several times (as if the battery was dead) before starting. Time for a new battery. The new battery, which I also got yesterday resulted in a noticeably faster starter operation. I guess I'll be one of those guys who preemptively change his battery from now on instead of letting them slowly die to full-dead!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back