'14 CR-V MM question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since i plan on doing 5k mile OCI on my CR-V, and resetting the MM every time, this wont affect the MM on things such as coolant, and other fluids on the MM, right? Since the vehicle still knows how many miles it has.. Just curious if anyone knows.

Yes it will, at least to my understanding. If you reset the MM before it advises service, any OTHER services that would have come up at the same time also get reset. So, for example, if you have 40% oil life on the MM and the system will also recommend a transmission fluid change at the next service, and you reset your MM to 100%, you'll never see that transmission fluid change recommendation.

Again, this is how I understand it to work.

I think I replace all fluids before it would recommend anyway, so it probably doesn't matter for me, but I just let it run down until it tells me to do something, review what it says, and then reset it and continue with my schedule.

I had a 2009 CRV and did not have the issue you are talking about.I have changed all the fluids before they were suppose to with my 2009 so not sure if that would help you out or not. just had the 1st change on my 2014 when the light came on. 6,700 for the first oci. will be doing 5,000 oci from here on out. . plan an doing the same with the 2014 as far as changing out all fluids early.

Last edited:
If you're going to do 5k oci, then why even bother resetting the MM. Just leave the MM alone until the wrench comes on, 15%, that way you'll know what codes come up.

It works fine for my CR-V.

Don't reset the MM early. As Hokiefyd said, you won't see the codes for other services come up. OK to change every 5K (I did on my '08), but let the MM count down until it trips the indicator so you'll know about what else is due.

Does CRV still have an early differential service? I remember the MM code coming up around the second oil change.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Does CRV still have an early differential service? I remember the MM code coming up around the second oil change.

IIRC my differential service recommendation came on at 10K.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
So, for example, if you have 40% oil life on the MM and the system will also recommend a transmission fluid change at the next service, and you reset your MM to 100%, you'll never see that transmission fluid change recommendation.

I don't believe this is the case on my '13. I change the oil earlier than the MM says to and after resetting the MM,I'm almost positive I receive the next maintenance message at the correct interval.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
I don't believe this is the case on my '13. I change the oil earlier than the MM says to and after resetting the MM,I'm almost positive I receive the next maintenance message at the correct interval.

It could be that they have changed the programming since the 2008 model year. I do, however, wonder, if there are multiple services due "at the next wrench", including obviously changing the oil, and you reset it early, how would it know to reset only the oil life algorithm and not the transmission life algorithm or the differential fluid algorithm? To be sure, the life of those other fluids would continue to depreciate in the system, if they're not due "at the next wrench". But I think resetting the MM resets ALL algorithms that are due "at the next wrench".

I could be wrong.

And either way, my advice to the OP is to simply not reset the MM until the wrench comes on. If you're going by a fixed OCI anyway, you don't really gain anything by resetting it early...and you only stand to possibly miss other indicated services.

I would not reset the MM early either. Always followed it on my wife's 08 CR-V.

On a side note, I always got the differential fluid change reminder every 3rd oil change...which works out to almost every 30,000 miles.

It does. I plan to do a differential change at 10k, then every 30k from then on. Tranny will likely get it done at 10k, then at every 30k like the differential.

Even though the new 2015 CR-V has the same body style/shape as the '14, there are many new enhancements to the '15.

The 2014 CR-V has a conventional 5 spd auto. The new 2015 CR-V has a new CVT ONLY as it's tranny and many(~80) other refinements/changes for the upcoming year. And with all of the changes to the new 2015 CR-V, it is Motor Trend's 2015 SUV OTY!

Originally Posted By: gofast182
If you read the UOA's here you'd find that Honda's MM is incredibly accurate. Why not use it and keep everything simple?

I can't answer for anyone else, but I like changing oil sooner than that. I overmaintain my vehicles not necessarily because I think they'll run better, but because it's relaxing and gratifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back