14 Car hacks everyone should know

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this article ridiculous as a automotive enthusiast, and as a student of journalism, truly a sad day in the reporting department. Now a couple of these might be ok, but telling Women to use nail polish as a touch up for paint is beyond ridiculous. 14 car hacks

IMHO, nail polish is better than letting bare metal rust, but it must be just me. I think the tips are actually useful. I do some of those thing myself and I figured them myself.

Grasping at straws for many of these. At least they didn't use the womens pantie hose as a spare serpentine belt.

Dont expect much from this

For those in rear-wheel-drive cars, the added weight of a big bag of kitty litter in the trunk will also help improve grip on a slippery road.

You're being somewhat disingenuous. The writer states right off the bat that touch up paint is best, but in a pinch you can use clear nail polish. The idea being, to protect the scratch from rusting out. Clear nail polish will essentially act as a clear coat. Its a a pretty good tip.

I have used red nail polish on my 78 k20 a few times but that is an old truck with [censored] paint.

Agreed. Not a stellar article but not terrible. I've used kitty litter for more oil spots than snow and ice.

Of course, I've never needed kitty litter to get "unstuck," either.

Number 7 is one method I use (except for the engine shut off stuff) to get the 20% better than the industry average mpg on my semi truck. i pace myself and don't try to stay up close to other vehicles. It is actually fun to watch in places like Chicago streets. When traffic light turns green, folks use that as their own personal NHRA christmas tree setup and floor it to the next light and have to wait for it. I just slow in advance and usually the light turns green and the folks are moving before i get there. I am able to save a lot of fuel and shifting and I get to enjoy watching the 4 wheelers doing the yo-yo thing. I guess I have more incentive to moderate things as a simple 1 mpg better mpg in that semi equates to almost $8500 in savings on fuel in a year.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Dont expect much from this

For those in rear-wheel-drive cars, the added weight of a big bag of kitty litter in the trunk will also help improve grip on a slippery road.

Worked for me with 2 Mustangs in PA's winters. I used to throw 100lbs in the trunk.

For years I've had my igintion key on one side of those push-pull separator rings to minimize the weight on the ignition switch...for decades...

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
For years I've had my igintion key on one side of those push-pull separator rings to minimize the weight on the ignition switch...for decades...

That's because you're sensible.

'Course jurors don't usually respond well when the defendant tries to pin blame on the deceased...

I've been using razor blades on glass for years=works well, but always a good blade with no nicks to scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back