14,430mi/Amsoil 0w-30 (SSO) /'06Grand Prix GXP-LS4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Texas Howdy again UOA devotees...

Last times' adventure in playing with Amsoil blends and my car was a 16k run of 5w-30/ASL with a filter change at 7.5k/miles. That filter change proved to not do much for me other than waste about $13 and the ASL seemeed pretty tired by the time I drained it.

One of the members of the Grand Prix club asked that I see how Amsoil's top of the line oil would fare on an extended OCI, that is why I tried the SSO. Another nice tidbit for this current UOA... was that I ditched the K&N panel filter less than 600 miles into the run and replaced it with the Amsoil EAA product line panel filter. I wanted to see if that might lower my insoluable/SI levels. So the K&N was installed about 4% of the miles... the EAA the remainder.

At long last, my copper levels have started coming into line... and that does seem to support so many other LSx UOA's... that copper remains high until about 60k... like a really long break-in period or something.

I am VERY pleased with this run of SSO... look at that TBN with over 14k on the odometer! My car was even a full quart low when I drained it... I had not added any make up oil in a couple of months so as to not skew the results.

Oil consumption dropped. Wear metals dropped (well, except iron). Silicon dropped. Insoluables dropped. Viscosity still in range. TBN up.

This oil and an LS4 is a winner.

----------------------------------------------

BLAKE: Lower end wear (copper and lead) continued to improve in this sample. Iron increased some but as all other
wear read normally we don't think it's a problem. Universal averages for the 5.3L are based on an oil run of just ~5,500 miles. When your wear is compared to those averages you can see just how well your engine is doing. Try running your next oil ~16K miles. If wear looks good in the next sample we'll suggest going even longer. You still had some active additive left with a TBN reading of 3.2. We consider a TBN reading of ~1.0 too low for extended use.

CRESSON, TX 76035
EQUIPMENT MAKE:...GM
EQUIPMENT MODEL:..5.3L 327 CI V-8
FUEL TYPE:............Gasoline (Unleaded)
CODE:..................GXP
ADDITIONAL INFO:....LS4

REPORT DATE:....5/5/2009
NAME:..............BLAKE MOORE
E-MAIL:[email protected]

OIL USE INTERVAL : 14,430 Miles
OIL TYPE & GRADE : Amsoil Signature Series 0W/30
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED: 1.5 qts

OIL REPORT

MI/HR ON OIL :......14,430
MI/HR ON UNIT:.....68,896
SAMPLE DATE:.......04/09/09

*PARTS PER MILLION this sample* / 15.9k sample of 5w-30 / 5,500mile Universal Averages
ALUMINUM.........3...............................2...............................3
CHROMIUM........1................................1...............................1
IRON...............46.............................28..............................20
COPPER...........36..............................50..............................33
LEAD...............8..............................14...............................9
TIN.................2...............................2...............................1
MOLYBDENUM....12..............................59..............................67
NICKEL.............2...............................2...............................1
MANGANESE.......6...............................8...............................2
SILVER.............0...............................0................................0
TITANIUM.........0...............................0................................0
POTASSIUM.......3...............................1................................2
BORON............11..............................77..............................53
SILICON...........16.............................27...............................13
SODIUM............5...............................5...............................13
CALCIUM........3592............................3731............................2210
MAGNESIUM......12..............................16..............................141
PHOSPHORUS....631.............................688............................686
ZINC..............765..............................918............................839
BARIUM............1................................0................................1

TEST.....VALUES SHOULD BE.......TESTED VALUES WERE
WATER %.............
ANTIFREEZE %..........0.................0.0

FUEL %................
FLASHPOINT INºF.....>385..............405

SUS VISCOSITY@210ºF: 58-65...........62.6

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C: 9.6-11.9.......10.94

INSOLUBLES %.........
TBN...............................3.2

(this is the link from my last UOA, it was 15.9k with filter change @ 7.5k, Amsoil ASL 5w-30)
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1248818&fpart=1

Also meant to add that the lab was Blackstone.
They took a long time to get this sample back to me! I sent it off on April 10th!!

After I had posted my last UOA using the 5w-30 ASL, being in Texas and running long OCI's several BitOG'ers like Pablo, addyguy, & bmwtechguy suggested I run the 30w ACD diesel oil. They thought that maybe the 30w would have more stability in the long run, and some other benefits that I can't recall. I had already put in the 0w-30, but promised I'd try it next run.

Anyway... thanks for the suggestion guys.
Guess what is in the sump right now? :D

ACD 30 weight? An extended run on that would be interesting to see!

Weird how iron went up so much with this run - its up 18ppm over the last run, but this run was 1600 miles shorter. I know its just noise, but I wonder if the filter change on the ASL run trapped some extra wear iron.

Overall, a good run - visc., TBN, and bearing wear is pretty good.

I'm really, really suprised there hasn't been more comments on this report. Usually, oil drains over 10k with SSO get a LOT of attention right away, especially on something like a GM V-8, which has unpredictable results.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'm really, really suprised there hasn't been more comments on this report. Usually, oil drains over 10k with SSO get a LOT of attention right away, especially on something like a GM V-8, which has unpredictable results.

as am I.

Great report. I would continue with the sso and I bet your next UOA will be even prettier. Considering the miles you'd expect an oil to look tired. The sso looks like it could be extended further. Love that flash, viscosity, and tbn after 14k miles. Impressive.

Very nice TBN (How long did it take to accumulate this mileage?)

I'm impressed by the silicon and the viscosity the most. I'd expect even SSO to shear after this long in Texas (albeit I'm guessing it was all over the cooler months).

Otherwise, just a nice run. None of your wear metals are shockingly low or high, and noise can be noise. Looks like your new air filter is also a winner.

I've got 14k on my current run of SSO, planning on hitting 16k before sampling. Stuff is good oil, and worth the price if you've got the cajones to run it.

I don't see what oil filter you used? Or did I just miss it. If it's the Amsoil EaO, there is definitely no need to change it halfway through the oci. In fact, the EaO appears to be more efficient after several thousand miles. I use to leave mine on the crv for two oci's (1 year) when I ran amsoil's xlm.

Originally Posted By: webfors
I don't see what oil filter you used? Or did I just miss it. If it's the Amsoil EaO, there is definitely no need to change it halfway through the oci.

My bad, I forgot to list it. It was the appropriate sized EaO oil filter.

addyguy, don't alarm me! I thought what you said in my last UOA was to run boldly with the ACD. "I think Pablo's advice is best - you don't need the '0W' or even '5W' ability in Texas - go with something much more stable, like the straight 30-weight of ACD."

Well, for better or worse... the ACD is in there... and we'll see what she looks like in about 14k more miles.

and to JoefromPA... the 14k miles were accumulated from 08/25/08 to 04/09/09... so about 7 months. Using that as a guideline... I'll be dumping the current run of ACD around November'ish.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Give it time
LOL.gif

For the time span and mileage, it's very good. I would think you could have made the one year mark without too much trouble ..but would have taken another quart.
21.gif

I can't see much wrong aside from fuel being <2.0% vs. <0.5% The FP is not too bad.

I also believe that you'll be well served by using ACD and the price difference is solid. I wouldn't run the ACD over 15,000 miles in this application without a UOA.

Blake,

I stand by what I said. ACD will work well in this engine, and I think will reduce wear noticeably on a 14-15k run. You don't need the 5W or 0W ability where you are...ACD's 10W cold-crank ability will be MORE than enough!

Originally Posted By: pickled
I also believe that you'll be well served by using ACD and the price difference is solid. I wouldn't run the ACD over 15,000 miles in this application without a UOA.

Duly Noted.

Q to Gary Allan.
Does FP stand for 'flashpoint?'

also, just a random Q... I read in another thread about something called LC20... Is that some kind of Lucas product?
(not saying I want to run it in anything... I just like to know what I am reading :) )

Looks like the oil held up reasonably well. Would like to see Fe lower, but doesn't look like gross wear or anything.

Indeed would love to see ACD right next to this.

FP = flashpoint

GM engines sure do like to shed copper.

Why run a thin oil like that in Texas weather? I would run a 5w or 10w oil.

Maybe you could try the 10w-30 Amsoil ATM.

**The TBN and Viscosity did hold up really well. Wear is not bad.

Last edited:
Hey,Cowtown. You could do better by running PP,an M1 oil filter,and an oem AF,for 7500 miles for probably the same money.

What's thin about it?
54.gif

SSO
10.6 spec

ATM

ASL

ACD

I'd kinda agree that he doesn't need the cold properties of SSO, but he may not have bought SSO for the cold properties.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
GM engines sure do like to shed copper.

Why run a thin oil like that in Texas weather? I would run a 5w or 10w oil.

Maybe you could try the 10w-30 Amsoil ATM.

ZZ, I ran the SSO because a friend with the exact same car wanted to see how Amsoil's flagship oil performed in the GXP... despite knowing I'd never need the 0w properties, I really just wanted to see for myself too! I'm wierd like that...

30w ACD is in the car right now.
If the next UOA looks good, I will probably just stick with it... it is cheaper than SSO, and seems to have a loyal following.

----

Did anyone catch my request to tell me what 'LC20' is?

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Hey,Cowtown. You could do better by running PP,an M1 oil filter,and an oem AF,for 7500 miles for probably the same money.

I'm not sure I could get 2 filter changes and 13qts of oil of PP for the same price I can get 1 filter and 8qts of Amsoil. Not to mention a commision check for the Amsoil.

Don't get me wrong... If PP, QS, Valv full synth is on sale or free... I run it..., but what I was doing here is more to have lab confirmed reports of Amsoil's longevity claims. My family, most of my Fiero club, formerly myself... If we weren't under a car draining the oil by mile 3001 or on day 91... we were convinced the motor was going to sieze.

So what I have here will be 5x 15k runs of different weights of Amsoil, showing what a quality synthetic (and 1 quality filter) does running extended OCI's.
Why take my word for it when I can show you 5 glowing lab reports. (well, the ASL to 16k in city driving wasn't glowing per se... but it wasn't bad either.)

Blake - I'm trying to do the same thing now with 3 UOAs on AMSOIL. My next sample after 16k will be sent in ~1 month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back