14 18M YF 05 Cartridge Filter/ Can't find any info on this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was doing a tune up on my 94 year old grandmother's 2004 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 Ecotec. I was shocked when I pulled air filter, looked 15 yrs. old and said April 04 on it!! That's for another day though. I pulled the oil cartridge filter and it was collapsed and looked VERY old. The only identification on it was the print 14 18M YF 05, I've contacted AC Delco, Plus our Chevy Dealer and they could not tell me anything, I need to know the year, I asked the garage that has done every oil change and they would not elaborate, I simply asked where did they buy it and what brand, then they said I can give you all types of #s for filters that fit this car, but I told them the # on filter and they got aggravated and that was the end of conversation. I really don't like the fact a garage (might) have taken advantage of a 94 yr old widow, that's been alone for over 20 years!! Can anyone help me so that if this is a extremely old filter I can confront them about it. thank you

It might not be an AC-Delco. When you look at the present-day AC-Delco that fits, at
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,2004,cavalier,2.2l+l4,1434209,engine,oil+filter,5340
you notice some different print.
Then you notice the other filters tend not to show any print on them, at least in the pictures.

Guessing the "05" means 2005. Being collapsed like you say would appear to indicate it's very old.
No way to be sure, but it looks like the garage might have just changed the oil (maybe!) and left the old cartridge oil filter in there to save time and money. That would be OK every other oil change. Not multiple 2+ oil changes though.

It being crushed looking has more to do with this being an Ecotec than the age or make of the filter. Most brands come out of an Ecotec looking crushed.

Some cart filters for Ecotec were a bit too long and some folks installed them INcorrectly by dropping the cartridge in the holder and screwing top on. Sometimes the top compressed the filter. My understanding is to fit the filter into the top/cap first and then screw it on. I've never had one to compress on my 2.4 Ecotec, which is, I believe, much the same engine. i've used AC Delco, Wix, Bosch, and even a Super tech and they worked fine.

Last edited:
Here is the way the cartridge should be installed: ttps://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=962768&cc=1434209&jsn=517&_nck=Ekt6BqBF1pwlXdx0gYlm1eLc36x7RagAV9qWoBGYzks2kIIGcMG6lE5GS9putP7wmUxgSGze%2FrPdR46WKSRoLyomJamzzG810PitvmOfG4gBYAKT%2Fiy1a5x6ntyyuI1fIWAusxIrA9CdY16%2BYXN4rfHT900IQEyb%2Fal18FrpAyGrEU71BLzVzXFvD%2BHgXrgNxWvERmC4%2F%2B63vXXVZvYwRuWec6bjgLlAE%2FfI95NsHaSiKv3TNe6AnQhdYnMtXRnNQOpxqnF8GEm4UeM78SE%2BLzxtvwtYXaQticN6K%2FPhyE9ajjLTgP0GTtTmtZVwv5T80R7UPHLTKczsUr4usC0JoOOH8kHGq4ca6mAWwJ%2Fij9%2BUukcwMGnBMQeICj%2BTwU5VIndoVJ7PyZmcaMGsJM3r1b0TLlkYHafZ

Are the pleats intentionally wavy? Purflux used to be the OE supplier for those cartridges, and they use their famous zigzag pleats on them.

Purflux L264A

However, Napa Platinum is on sale this month for only $4.99, so it's worth stocking up. They are wire-backed, so they shouldn't buckle
smile.gif

Originally Posted by tc1446
Here is the way the cartridge should be installed: Long link

Even this does not guarantee the filter will not be deformed.

This Bosch D+ I installed correctly, but this is how it looked after ~6000 miles.

[Linked Image]

basically would not give me a reply when I stopped him when he started giving me different manufactures I.D. #'s that's on filters. I told him this one starts with 14 and he was aggravated and said you can go to OReillys to buy one. I never told him my purpose in phone call and never mentioned the original air filter, I want to gather all the info I can before I confront him.

that's my thought on it as well, I took pictures of everything in motor compartment before I started working on car. Reason I pulled t he valve cover was because I checked oil when I was getting gas, the motor was at running temp. and the dipstick had only a trace of oil at the bottom of it. My first thought was drain ports were clogged, when I had cover off there were no ports that were clogged. when I removed the oil cartridge it came out easily and when I went to put new one in it took a tiny bit of pressure to make it fit in the hole, I immediately grabbed the old one and you could move it side to side because it was too small. I inspected O ring and there were no flat spots or any indication of wear. I measured it and it is 1.3 mm smaller than the new one, so the oil was able to travel around the filter and not through it... I forgot to mention that I looked back through pics and the plastic cap for cartridge didn't have a scratch or anything on it, and my thoughts are if you remove it and then put it back on there will be some marks on it....

Last edited:
I have to fix my I cloud account and I'll be able to post the pics I took but I honestly wish the filter I took out looked that good! it's extremely black and looks like someone twisted it as much as possible and then took a mallet and gave it a good wack.

ATIMACUEu27FNmZgZma7q3VBn5o8AVuM2nIcI9B

I'm going to have to read up on adding photo's or links to my photo's, I am not having any luck right now so I apologize to everyone in advance. I have tons of photo's, but doesn't do any good if I cant share them. If there is a section that tells you how to can someone point me in the right direction? I dont have much time to spare doing research because I have 4 cars I need to work on so I can sale them...

IMG_2091.JPG

Last edited:
That waviness looks very even, similar to the Purflux when new.

Hard to say though.

Unfortunately you will have a hard time proving anything. Even if you figure out a date code, it is possible a 10 year old filter was put in the vehicle last year.

Filter looks intact though, so best thing to do is just make sure it gets taken care of from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back