13th UOA, 07 Toyota 4.0L, Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w30, 10k miles on oil

The reason I do used oil analysis and extended oil changes is: 1) I find it interesting; 2) so we might learn something?

This ti13th UOA, 07 Toyota 4.0L, Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w30, 10k milesme I sent a sample to both Oil Analyzers Inc and Blackstone Labs.

Vehicle, a 2007 Toyota 2wd FJ Cruiser w/4.0L 1GR-FE DOHC gasoline V6 w/VVTi. It is my daily driver and has been for 13+ yrs. Engine had 217,300 miles at the time that the sample was taken. The sample oil was dual rated (spark and compression) Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w30. It was 15 mths old w/10,000 miles on it. Previous oil run was the same. The full flow filter was again a Fram Ultra XG8A. The bypass filter was an Amsoil EaBP90 and was its third run since new. The air filter was a Fram Ultra XGA9683 that was new 27k miles and 32 mths ago. I do not drive in dusty conditions. We live in the country outside of San Antonio, Tx and the vehicle see's nothing but rural driving. It doesn't puff smoke at start-up, leak or burn any oil. I'm a DIYer. The vehicle has never needed to go to a shop for repairs. I do it all. It has never left me stranded. It's a wonderful vehicle and I plan to keep it a lot longer.

During this oil run I did the following which may have contributed to the Silicon level:
1) removed the driver side valve cover. Cleaned it inside and out. Put it back on with a new Felpro gasket. It wasn't leaking. I was just curious as to what it looked like inside. I've seen better, and I've seen worse.
2) cleaned MAP sensor

I have always run regular unleaded. Toyota recommends super unleaded. I tried Super unleaded, but gas mileage didn't increase. I always get 20 mpg = 300 to 310 miles between fill-ups.

** NOTE the comments from each lab** OAI always flags and "boo hoo's" my results. Blackstone says, "keep doing what you're doing."

I guess the proof is in the pudding. It has always run strong without issue(s), and little wear metal(s) in the results.

After receiving these results, I switched oil to Mobil 1 5w20, the 10k stuff. I installed another Fram XG8A full flow, a new Amsoil Ea90BP bypass filter, and a new Fram XGA9683 air filter.

What say you?

I always cut my filters open and inspect them. I've included pics of the full flow and bypass oil filter pleats, and all the bits & pieces.

From OAI:
DSCN0414.JPG

DSCN0413.JPG

Then here are the Blackstone results:
DSCN0417.JPG

DSCN0410.JPG

Cover and oil filters look just fine for the oil you were using. I don't think the Delvac was quite up to 10k. Switching to M1 will hopefully end with a better oil condition.

Don't know how you feel about other brands, but I took a sample from my '15 4Runner using Amsoil SS and it showed 1/2 the iron of your sample at a 10k interval. Was also going to try Schaeffer (which had shown less wear metals in other vehicles) but a situation required selling it before I ran the Schaeffer very long.

Silicon high the last 2 samples (valve cover only on last one, right?) so might want to check the air filtration.

That FJ should go 500k

Jetman thanks for the detailed Report!
I agree with Kuato, the Delvac is not up to the job. The M1 should be much better. My personal preference is Amsoil SS. Good luck getting your Silicon number under control, and I look forward to your next UOA.

Kuato & Crusher, I feel the same about this oil, never again. I bought a bunch of it many yrs ago on sale for $10/gal. I have finally used it all up. There's better oil for the $$. I like to try different oils and see how they hold up (or not). Walmart syntech is better stuff.

Kuato, the samples # 1 thru 6 above were for Amsoil SSO and AMO. Great oil and very expensive.

Thunderous, like I said in my original post here, it is a dual rated oil, spark and compression.

Thanks for the detail on previous oils used...I was curious about that 18,000 mile interval.

Maybe give Schaeffer a whirl, it's about $7 a quart and might go nearly as far as the Amsoil did.

I think the engine head looks good, considering the mileage. They all seem to look like that. We do a TON of Toyota’s at our shop I’ve yet to see a sparkling clean one when the valve covers are off. The V6’s seem to suffer more then the V8’s. It’s like they’re still battling excessive evap gasses that build up on top and cause varnish like the 1MZ-FE sludge horror stories of old. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Keep the wheels turning. 👍🏼

The Si has been bouncing up/down a lot; look at the history in the reports for OAI. But it really took some big steps in these last two reports. Once you take off the valve cover (under the wires), all that dirt on the wires can/will fall into the head. But, since you only took off the valve cover this time, that doesn't really explain the other Si level in previous OCIs now, does it? So further investigation may be needed; this may be affecting the wear metals.

Also, the wear metals between reports (limited from BS as they are), seem to align pretty close, so that's good from a standpoint of consistent data.

And yes, the sky seems to always be falling from OAIs point of view in your reports.

The Si has been bouncing up/down a lot; look at the history in the reports for OAI. But it really took some big steps in these last two reports. Once you take off the valve cover (under the wires), all that dirt on the wires can/will fall into the head. But, since you only took off the valve cover this time, that doesn't really explain the other Si level in previous OCIs now, does it? So further investigation may be needed; this may be affecting the wear metals.

Also, the wear metals between reports (limited from BS as they are), seem to align pretty close, so that's good from a standpoint of consistent data.

And yes, the sky seems to always be falling from OAIs point of view in your reports.
I forgot to mention, to remove the valve cover this time, I had to remove the airbox and upper intake manifold.

The reason I do used oil analysis and extended oil changes is: 1) I find it interesting; 2) so we might learn something?

This ti13th UOA, 07 Toyota 4.0L, Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w30, 10k milesme I sent a sample to both Oil Analyzers Inc and Blackstone Labs.

Vehicle, a 2007 Toyota 2wd FJ Cruiser w/4.0L 1GR-FE DOHC gasoline V6 w/VVTi. It is my daily driver and has been for 13+ yrs. Engine had 217,300 miles at the time that the sample was taken. The sample oil was dual rated (spark and compression) Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w30. It was 15 mths old w/10,000 miles on it. Previous oil run was the same. The full flow filter was again a Fram Ultra XG8A. The bypass filter was an Amsoil EaBP90 and was its third run since new. The air filter was a Fram Ultra XGA9683 that was new 27k miles and 32 mths ago. I do not drive in dusty conditions. We live in the country outside of San Antonio, Tx and the vehicle see's nothing but rural driving. It doesn't puff smoke at start-up, leak or burn any oil. I'm a DIYer. The vehicle has never needed to go to a shop for repairs. I do it all. It has never left me stranded. It's a wonderful vehicle and I plan to keep it a lot longer.

During this oil run I did the following which may have contributed to the Silicon level:
1) removed the driver side valve cover. Cleaned it inside and out. Put it back on with a new Felpro gasket. It wasn't leaking. I was just curious as to what it looked like inside. I've seen better, and I've seen worse.
2) cleaned MAP sensor

I have always run regular unleaded. Toyota recommends super unleaded. I tried Super unleaded, but gas mileage didn't increase. I always get 20 mpg = 300 to 310 miles between fill-ups.

** NOTE the comments from each lab** OAI always flags and "boo hoo's" my results. Blackstone says, "keep doing what you're doing."

I guess the proof is in the pudding. It has always run strong without issue(s), and little wear metal(s) in the results.

After receiving these results, I switched oil to Mobil 1 5w20, the 10k stuff. I installed another Fram XG8A full flow, a new Amsoil Ea90BP bypass filter, and a new Fram XGA9683 air filter.

What say you?

I always cut my filters open and inspect them. I've included pics of the full flow and bypass oil filter pleats, and all the bits & pieces.

From OAI:
View attachment 88730
View attachment 88731

Then here are the Blackstone results:
View attachment 88732
View attachment 88733

You can easily see the Delvac's Ca. & P. are watered down probably for the ESP feature I'd think you'll get the same with the 0/20 SP flavors..why not a M1 0/40 Euro, you'll a get full strength motor oil all in one.

Back