13k mile oil change on 89 honda crx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Maxlife Blend 5w30 with a Fram Tough Guard.

+1 on this combination
+2 for 4-5k OCI

Since its a manual transmission I wouldn't worry about it too much. You could probably change the oil in it

Originally Posted By: Bralic665
I add around a quart a month so far... seems like a lot considering it only takes like 3.5 quarts.

That sounds like a quart every 2k miles or so. That is not unreasonable, with the age/mileage of this car.

I wouldn't do it again, but you likely did not hurt anything. Use the Max life or equivalent, and 7.5k OCIs, and drive it until the wheels fall off. And go ahead and change the manual tranny lube. But stay away from synthetics, there.

Change this fresh ( now super dirty) oil and filter after 500-1000 miles then go back to twice a year MIN. I will say you are WAY cheaping out on the car to your detriment.

Had a ex who ran over 20k on Dino quaker without knowing. I chewed her butt out for it.

It didn't do any permitted damage care still runs been many years later but still.

I had one of those. Those cars are buzzy at highway speeds, running like 4K RPM.

I wouldn't run 5W30 in it. The engine at 4K rpm will shear it down to a 20 weight in no time. And it has 300K miles. Definitely a good candidate for high mileage 10W30/10W40.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I will say you are WAY cheaping out on the car to your detriment.

It's a 25 year old CRX with almost 300k miles. That car doesnt owe anybody anything.

Personally, with 500 miles a week I'd use a HM dino oil 5w30 whatever is one sale and a good filter. 10k oil changes and top up in between. Forget the multiple changes early. Just a waste.

I'd run Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30 or 10W-30 in it with a good filter and keep an eye on the oil. Maybe a 3,000 mile OCI to start...

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Right, a few early to normal oil/filter changes with decent oil should be fine. Most Honda's of that era used 5W30.

I agree especially if the oil gets dark quickly. Several years ago we bought a Ford truck with the old Ford 429 engine with oil that had been it for years. It took the oil filter about three days to drain in the cool temps.

Went straight to 5W-40 Rotella synthetic. It was back within 200 miles so I changed the filter (easy task as it just behind the front bumper and pointed down. The oil cleared up then got dirty but after the 3rd filter change only it stayed clear for a couple years. Changed it this week 52 months later. It still only had about 2000 miles on the oil change and was dirty again.

You should be fine with your car.

OP, just change the oil at 3k miles and then go to whatever interval you wish. The CRX is practically bulletproof, and other than consumables you needn’t worry about much at all. The guys here overthink and over caution about everything.

I few years back I bought a ’89 CRX DX with 260k mi for $850. After I changed tranny lube, oil, distributor cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, air filter, oil filter, and fuel filter, it proceeded to give me 40mpg tanks until I sold it several years later for $900. My best two tanks were 51 mpg.

The clutch was a bit weak but the tranny was fine. The CV joints were a bit vibraty but only at the speed I usually drove on the highway. I used Mobil1 5w-30 and gave it no second thoughts for the 3 to 5k mile intervals I ran.
I loved my CRX, but the Prius C I have now is awesome as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back