13 Weird tricks to clean your car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was bored and saw this link and am apalled at some of the suggestions. I detail cars a few times per year some fairly high end and would have never suggest hair conditioner to enhance shine on car paint. 13 weird detailing tips

Most of those "tips" are really a poor idea...using the phosphoric acid in a coke to clean your windshield?? Sure, might work...and then plug up your air intake, attract bugs, make the car smell...ugh...but still better than "wipe you car down with kerosene and water"...sure, if you want to strip the wax from it!

1) On a windy day park your car sideways to the wind.

2) Open up all the doors.

3) With your hand, bang on the seats to watch the clouds of dust rise and blow right out of the car.

That's my trick.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

3) With your hand, bang on the seats to watch the clouds of dust rise and blow right out of the car.

That's my trick.

Hey! I used that trick before too...and it worked really well.

Q.

Yup. Done that one myself.

Some of them I definitely don't agree with. Like amonia, kerosene (diesel ...) hair conditioner.

Although, since the washer sprayer no longer works on the Jeep, I might have to take note of a few of those.

My father puts coolant in the washer reservoir.

Last edited:
Old saying of "Leave the tar on the road, not in your lungs" anti smoking motto could be used in this case.
"Leave the Vodka in the bar, not in your windshield wiper reservoir"

I just cant stop laughing at vodka in the thing.
Next up: Rum is a AWESOME Oil Additive!

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Most of those "tips" are really a poor idea...using the phosphoric acid in a coke to clean your windshield?? Sure, might work...and then plug up your air intake, attract bugs, make the car smell...ugh...but still better than "wipe you car down with kerosene and water"...sure, if you want to strip the wax from it!

If you have ever followed a vehicle leaking oil or fuel and gotten it on your windshield the Coke trick works. You just wet a paper towel with it and wipe the wet glass. Rinse wirh plain water and you're good to go.

I've used sudsy ammonia for getting dried bugs off the car. Works great and no damage at all.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Originally Posted By: tpitcher

That's my trick.

Hey! I used that trick before too...and it worked really well.

Q.

Especially on cloth seats!

cheers3.gif

Lots of these "tricks" are very dangerous for your car. The only things that I have heard that work well are woolite and water for cleaning seats and Murphy's oilsoap for cleaning leather seats. Besides that I dont recommend using any of these ideas.

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
They should retitle it: 13 Weird Tricks to Ruin Your Paint.

haha, I heard bologna is great for paint. Helps give you that sought after polka dot look

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back