13" Tire selection for Mazda Rx7

Hi all,

Ive been in the process of getting my Mazda running after sitting for several years. The tires currently on it are toast. As many of you are aware 13" tires are becoming difficult to get. So far I've found a set of Kumho Solus TA11 for $61.00 per tire. Tirerack had similar prices, but also had a vredstein listed for 161.00 per tire. I'm learning towards the Kumho but would be interested if anyone has any other suggestions other than Chinese tires. Are there any American made tires in that size any longer?

What size 13"?...so I can look too.
Are those two the only ones available?...not that I have any recommended tire in that size!
Between them, I'd go with the Solus TA11...I've seen them stock on Hyun/KIA.
I don't have experience with either but for a car that will only see low mileage, I'd $pend le$$. I wouldn't spend $161/per tire for any vehicle.

The Chinese tires were only marginally cheaper than the Kumho Solus at 51.00 per tire.

Buy tires based on how you are going to drive the RX-7. Meaning, how many miles per year/season and how hard/easy(hopefully easy).

Will the car be sitting/garaged more often than not(sunny days only)?
Also, buy a tire that will fit the character of the car as well. I mean, you don't want to spend so little money on tires that the car becomes a handful to drive even under normal driving situations.

Looks like you're looking for a 185/70r13? The Westlake RP-18 is $45 on Amazon. I have a set of these and they have been excellent. Reviews are good across all sizes as well. The Kuhmo looks to be the only "name brand" tire available, so if that is really that important to you, I guess that's your only option.

I have Toyo R888 for track days. I'm not entirely sure what next year will bring with the Rocky Mountain Region SCCA Spec 7 rules. A few years back they talked of going to 14 or 15" rims and tires. I'd only put a couple thousand miles per year on it.

There is a US-made Mastercraft, which is made by Cooper.

The Toyo Eclipse is also available in 185/70-13

If you really want to waste money, Coker makes a Michelin XDX in your size, but it's over $300 each!

What a coincidence! I'm working on getting my '84 Rx7 out of storage in the next few weeks and was looking for new tires also. The stock tire size is 185/70-R13 and I've found a few online, check Amazon. There are not a lot of "good" tire options in the 13 size, lots of chinese tires.

I have a set of 13x6inch aftermarket wheels that I will be using and will buy 205/60-R13 soon from Ebay: 205/60-R13
I'm not using this car a daily driver and will only use it in nice weather, so I'm not too concerned about the tires... I'm not spending $100+ per tire on a for a car that won't be driven much.

Back