'13 KTM Duke 690 Motorex 10/60w Crosspower 4t

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my Duke 690 results back from blackstone. Any LC4 peeps, or anyone at all, have any thoughts on this?

HYn4IEo.png

Welcome to the site. I think I've seen three UOAs for the 690 now, and I've been paying attention as I'm considering the purchase of one.

These motors absolutely destroy oil. I think the original cSt of that oil is something like 20 or 21.

I suppose it's too early to tell much about this machine and the high metals; keep doing what you're doing.

Still, I'd like to see someone use a straight 60 oil like Amsoil's to see if it shears any less.

Thoughts? I know nothing about the engine and how they wear, with that said ...

Looking at this?
All I see is super expensive oil and a terrible looking UOA.

Just talking here but I feel I am sure I could produce at least those same wear levels and chances are better, using a standard "off the shelf" oils at up too 60 to 75% less cost.

yep barely a 40wt oil and yet the wear metals are huge.

i know how ktm tests each motor before it leaves the factory.

so if this is the 3rd oil change that is still a LOT of wear!

i would retest at 2500 miles with another uoa and see how it goes.
determine then if this oil ok or if something may be needed.
i used to live in the LA area so i know the temps. maybe amsoil 20w50 or vavoline vr1 20w50 as an alternative.

steve

So i'm the third owner. Bought this at 2300. Changed the oil at 3000 and again at 5,761 (above analysis). My optimistic side leads me to believe that owner #1 had the first service done which included an oil change. Owner #2 performed no services. Any chance the wear is from me putting 3,000 miles in 3 months?

Here's another recent UOA that I saw. Your wear metals are significantly more, but both bikes are still new. Continue changing at 2,500 miles and consider trying that Amsoil or Red Line 20w-60 to combat shearing. Brad Penn has SAE 60 too.

There's no need to panic, but that oil is not performing well. Some of that shearing might be fuel too, but try another oil for a similar run and see how it does.

KTM690_UOA_27Apr2015.png

Originally Posted By: albertdi
thanks!

Sure thing. Please update us if you decide to try different oils or get another UOA. I'll be looking forward to any further data.

Clearly, that oil sheared to well below grade in 2500 miles. I'd guess it contains plenty of the polymers that improve viscosity index and reduce pour point. Motorcycle engines are tough on oils, especially oils that contain polymers.

My suggestion is to try Mobil 1, 20W-50 V-Twin oil and change it at 2000 mile intervals. The M1 is a very robust oil, designed for high temperatures, high loads and it has an excellent HTHS of 5.8 (viscosity at 150 deg C)

But more importantly, Mobil 1, 20W-50 is among the most shear stable of all motorcycle oils, regardless of price. Take a look at page 10, "Results, Viscosity Shear Stability, SAE 50 Group 2" here:

http://americasoil.biz/files/g2156_A_study_of_Motorcycle_Oils.pdf

Also, don't get wrapped around the axle with "viscosity index" numbers for motorcycle oils. VI improvers don't help in motorcycle applications. Unmolested PAO based oils have a VI of about 140. The M1 20W-50 does not contain VI improvers. It's VI of 142 is excellent based on it's formulation.

In other words, your original oil is supposed to behave as a 60 at 100 deg C, yet shears to a 40 (and is probably much worse at 150C) . The M1, is a 50, and will retain it's viscosity.

Last edited:
Right now you're running your oci's too long for that motor. Id drop back to 1500 miles max, and ditch the motorex for something cheaper that doesn't pain you to replace like Valvoline 20w50 mc oil, which should also reduce metal counts.

Motors like that are high stress, should have been through 3 oil changes in the first 1000 miles.

Once a motor gets about 8,000 miles , if its going to clean up its around that time, otherwise its just going to continue shedding excess metal.

I've never used motorex on 4 KTMs and 50k+ miles on them. I used total/ELF or castrol 10w-50. when I had my KTM 690 they spec 10w-50.

now that amsoil make 10w-50 and 10w-60 it's a no brainer.

Originally Posted By: albertdi
I think I'l give the amsoil 60 a shot. I'll report back when there is more data.

I'll be interested in the results.
Originally Posted By: fast4d
I've never used motorex on 4 KTMs and 50k+ miles on them. I used total/ELF or castrol 10w-50. when I had my KTM 690 they spec 10w-50.

now that amsoil make 10w-50 and 10w-60 it's a no brainer.

His problem is massive shearing with 10w-60. He's going to try the SAE60 to combat that.

straight sae60 is some mega thick pancake syrup.
i have run it once.

in la, it should be warm enough 10months of the year for startup but still thats some thick stuff.

i think he should go to valvoline vr1 20w50 synth but thats just me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back