13 hours trip with 1980k miles SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
05 Expedition with 180k miles, since 2 month period of time , I place all brake , new coolant ( motorcraft ), fuel filter, air filter.....

rear diff I replace with valvoline 75w140, but I had to add half quart of OLD OLD ( 4 year old ) redline 75w140, should I change this out ?

expy run and drive good, very smooth in town and highway. All good tires. Anything I should check before this trip,

about oil I change it month and half ago with mobil super 5000 , I roughly put 1100 miles on it. Should I leave it alone ?

anything I should add in fuel tank on this trip ? or tool to bring on this trip ?

13 hours each way.

In what condition are the plugs and related ignition components?

How about the belts?

Assuming the Redline gear oil was unused and in a closed container, I'd leave it. Leave the engine oil alone too.

Bring a cell phone and credit card and enjoy the ride. No sense worrying.

think you'd be good to go....I wouldn't change the oil plus highway miles is better on it than city type traffic. Not sure if your model has the dreaded blowing spark plug feature. I'd keep an ear open for that. Other than that....drive on!!!!

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Bring a cell phone and credit card and enjoy the ride. No sense worrying.

This is my plan for road trips whether it is a old car or new one!

I would get a fluid extractor and extract 50% of the trans atf and replace with new. Plus inspect all belts and hoses. R/R if necessary. Make sure your spare tire has air plus 3psi and your tire changing tools are all there. Make sure all of your registration and insurance paperwork is all good.

I have an electric 1/2" impact gun that I take with a lug nut socket on long trips,bottle jack, road flares(3), mag lite with new batteries, pair of latex gloves, clean shop towel, 12v cell phone charger,Rand McNally Atlas, blanket, 2 bottles of water, power bar.

Whether or not to change the oil should be the least of your concerns. Even if you were cruising at 80 mph for all 26 hours, you are only talking about putting on a little over 2,000 highway miles...add in some local driving and you will still have less than 4,000 miles on the oil when you get back.

I would, however, keep a close eye on the oil level and make sure to check it at every gas fill up. The Burb consumed 1 1/4+ quart of HM oil (Valvoline MaxLife NextGen) in 3,000 miles on a road trip I took two months ago, after barely consuming anything during prior OCIs.

To add to Doog's equipment recommendations, I suggest bringing a small wrench and/or socket and ratchet set to handle any minor issues that might pop up at the most inopportune time...such as a rear hatch lock going out when 1,500 miles from home.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: strat81
In what condition are the plugs and related ignition components?

How about the belts?

Assuming the Redline gear oil was unused and in a closed container, I'd leave it. Leave the engine oil alone too.

redline was left over from preview change, 3-4 year ago. Belt look like its been change, I dont see any crack on it, and the gates brand name still visible pretty good. Transmission shift smooth and its pretty pink, so I would leave it.

there is no oil leak and oil still stay the same level as when I put in.

btw I will be hauling 4-5 peoples with me and couple heavy Luggage , my tires pressure is 35 psi by factory, I heard if more weight in the truck, should pump up to 40psi, should I just stay 35psi like factory recommend .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinH
Buy a AAA membership if you don't already have one.

Worth it.

This is a very good suggestion.
01.gif

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
How much will spend on gas in this thing? Maybe it would be cheaper to rent a fuel efficient car?

roughly $250 for round trip. with 6 peoples with me, rent a mini van or full side SUV running around 600 to 900 for 3-4 day trip, plus gas I would spend around $1200.

quick update : I made it to Joplin MO yesterday. the truck ran fine all the way, accept when I am climbing the mountain, ( since the truck been in the south his whole life ) when it meet the mountain it dont know what to do lol. the transmission stay on over drive when i am climbing the hill, I feel lost power, and from time to time it downshift itself from OD and climb fine. But I learn that best that I speed up ahead and keep the speed up high just to enough to climb the mountains without the transmission to downshift.

but yea this truck in overdrive + hill = turtle. Idk if this normal, cause I never drive up the mountain before.

btw I check the oil every gas up, and no drop is lost or burn.

Last edited:
That many people, that's probably normal. Manually kick it out of overdrive by pushing the button until you get over the climbs. I have to do that with my F150 when weighted down, it's basically an expedition with a bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back