'13 Honda VFR1200 Motul 10w-50, 5,300 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: montero1

Oil Type: Motul 5100 10w-50 Blend
Filter- Wix WL1000
Make Up Quarts-0
Miles on Unit-6,000
Miles on Oil-5300

We're seeing some excess iron and silicon in this oil, but our suspicion at this point is that they're related to lingering wear-in, and will improve with time. The viscosity was a little light, but that's harmless. The TBN is fine at 4.6. Averages are based on 2000 miles. Try 6,500 miles.

MANGANESE-2
ALUMINUM-14
CHROMIUM-1
IRON-38
COPPER-16
LEAD-2
TIN-2
MOLYBDENUM-31
NICKEL-1
SILVER-0
TITANIUM-0
POTASSIUM-7
BORON-15
SILICON-19
SODIUM-7
CALCIUM-1993
MAGNESIUM-11
PHOSPHORUS-851
ZINC-977
BARIUM-3

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F-54.9
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C-8.74
Flashpoint in °F-390
Fuel %- Antifreeze-0
Water-0
Insolubles-Trace
TBN-4.6

In- Xado 10w-40
Baldwin B1400

10w_40_4t_ma_1l_4e79e6ae147b2.jpg
B1400.jpg

Where do you even buy Xado? I found one questionable site. It does have a nice PDS listing. The price listed is $8.45 a litre? That seems reasonable if it is actually made to the standards of other MA 10w40 4T synthetics like motul, maxima, spectro, or Bel-ray. Keep us updated on the Xado. its an interesting product.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
OP
you says the low susvis is fine but have you metalurgically verified that all of the gears in your tranny dont have any micropitting?
have you proven that none of your thrust bearings dont have any galling or streaks?

care to explain where that manganese came from?

your oil was how many grades below the recommended?

Blackstone says the low vis was fine, not me. What is your point of bombarding me with questions, when all I did was simply post my results? The Bike calls for a 600 mile oil change, and 8,000 mile oci's thereafter, on petroleum oil. So tell me where I did something wrong.....

Yeah, I belive the Blackstone commentator was completely wrong in suggesting you increase your OCI by an additional 1200 miles. While your higher wear metals are more than likely just from the longer OCI after your initial 600 mile break in (which is what Honda and most other Japanese manufacturers suggest) I wouldn't run the oil for a longer period of time initially while wear in metals and silicon will be at record highs. Secondly, the oil shearing from a 50 grade down to a 20 grade is shocking, especially considering that this oil is not the cheapest oil Motul manufactures (which is their petroleum based 3100), the Motul 5100 10W50 is their part synthetic ester blend.

I think what would be a cool back to back test would be to run the Motul 5100 10W40 and see the wear/shear results. The 10W50 obviously sheared to a 20 grade, but I would wager that the 10W40 in the same oil more than likely would have sheared to a 10W30 in a similar OCI due to a smaller amount to of VII's present in that viscosity. Otherwise, what an awesome price for a unique bike, congrats on the purchase!

well, from watching the IR specroscopy the russian oil site had done, even in the 8100 range less than half the Motul oils contain a significant amount of esters.

[/quote]

Where do you even buy Xado? I found one questionable site. It does have a nice PDS listing. The price listed is $8.45 a litre? That seems reasonable if it is actually made to the standards of other MA 10w40 4T synthetics like motul, maxima, spectro, or Bel-ray. Keep us updated on the Xado. its an interesting product. [/quote]

Xado

Amazon sells it for near $20/qt. I decided to give it a try, because a neighbor of mine uses it exclusively in all his toys, which include a Cayman S, an F-250 Diesel, a Harley Electra Glide, and a Stage 3 GT Roush Mustang.

Last edited:
when i tested motul 5100 10w50 my flash was 430 and fuel was reported at 0% with a susvis of 85.5

there is no way in hedoublehockeysticks that yours was
to me, the stoners smoked a lot that day

most BITOG users should know that most "synthetics" today are group III refined CRUDE oils + unlike G4-PAO + G5 Ester oils can shear down quickly especially with a shared oil platform. i just received my 15-50 Pro 4T silkolene motorcycle oil, $10 a L on the bay, selling for $15 + or - elsewhere. this is a group III base oil with ester, where as the Pro + is Ester based from info on this forum. i got it for my 2016 G650GS + may try it in my 2013 Vic Hammer, an oil killer with 106 cu in + shared oil, NO water cooling!! it will go in @ my end of year riding season. the thumper will get more miles after the 500 breakin with valvoline 20-50 fully synthetic group III motorcycle oil. surprised @ the high noack # for the valvoline!!

Originally Posted By: benjy
most BITOG users should know that most "synthetics" today are group III refined CRUDE oils + unlike G4-PAO + G5 Ester oils can shear down quickly especially with a shared oil platform. i just received my 15-50 Pro 4T silkolene motorcycle oil, $10 a L on the bay, selling for $15 + or - elsewhere. this is a group III base oil with ester, where as the Pro + is Ester based from info on this forum. i got it for my 2016 G650GS + may try it in my 2013 Vic Hammer, an oil killer with 106 cu in + shared oil, NO water cooling!! it will go in @ my end of year riding season. the thumper will get more miles after the 500 breakin with valvoline 20-50 fully synthetic group III motorcycle oil. surprised @ the high noack # for the valvoline!!

I was well aware that I was using a blend, my point is, I only went 5300 miles, when 8000 is recommended with petroleum.

I was well aware that I was using a blend, my point is, I only went 5300 miles, when 8000 is recommended with petroleum.

OP I'm curious to see the add-pack on the Xado oil. Do you plan to run a UOA or VOA on the oil?

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

OP I'm curious to see the add-pack on the Xado oil. Do you plan to run a UOA or VOA on the oil?

I'll probably go to about 6k then analyze.

My dad was strongly considering one of these when they were coming out, his thought process was:

$16K is a little too expensive
Its ugly
And the biggest problem, it has a smaller gas tank than his current VFR 800 AND gets sub 40 mpg.

yep yep and yep

i really like my vfr800.
granted its not like my old cbr600 in both performance and mpg, but at the same time its more comfy for
any ride over 10miles. i do wish it got better mpg than it does.
right now i have just a honda 10w40 fill in it. i dont get to ride much...maybe that will change soon.

that not being a real synthetic shearing is expected with that wide a spread!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back