13 Golf tdi, fuel nozzle safety cap broke, small bit fell down filler neck

So, this is embarrassing and frustrating at the same time... The fuel filler safety device that's installed on mk6s was very loose on my 13 Golf... Went online to see if it can be removed, and it looked easy enough to do. I went to pull it, and I guess because it's old, some of it came apart and of course fell down the neck.... No clue if it was plastic, or one of the small springs

So I went ahead and pulled the sending unit out, siphoned the bit of diesel that was in the tank, and went looking for the piece(s) but I couldn't find anything. I can feel the entrance of neck to the tank, it seems to have a sort of cross around the hole, and on the other side I feel a spring of sort... I managed to get a picture of the filler neck entrance from the inside of the tank using an endoscope camera I have

Not sure if that's the spring that fell down or if that's supposed to be there. I have no idea what to do at this point

Got a better look at it, that spring is definitely part of the neck assembly and there does seem to be a screen on the other side of it by the looks of it. I would assume that it's ok given that I didn't find anything in the tank

You're right, I didn't even realize in my panic

The ribbed tube is the supply line (black hose), and the other one which is just a regular tube that has nothing is the return. Thanks for reminding me

As long as there’s some kind of strainer, and the item won’t be abrasive or fall apart to small bits that will pass a strainer, I wouldn’t be terribly concerned…

Yea I put everything back and have driven it over 100km without issues. I did think about the fuel strainer but I wanted to be sure, especially since these CR tdis have the sensitive HPFP

Back