'13 Audi Q7 TDI FF(Castrol SLX?) 3,000mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my new '13 Audi Q7 TDI. Early UOA is my ritual on all my new cars. Audi specs a 2- 5k OCI's then 10k after that. TBN looks low now for a 10k run. But I might be wrong?

q7.png

Last edited:
The viscosity is 15w40?
crazy2.gif
seems its a bit on the thick side after only 3k miles.

I also don't see how 10k is do-able from where we're standing now. Perhaps the new fill of oil will perform differently then the factory fill which got contaminated with who know whats, thus causing the TBN to drop a bit.

Does Audi indeed recommend a short first interval?

While its always nice to see a UOA, I am not sure what the point is. We know the wear metals will be high from break-in and there may be high silicon from gasket sealer. Anything you see bad on this UOA you will attribute to break-in. Or I would.

I am up in the air about the TBN. But I think it will be slightly better after break-in.

I will be doing my first UOA for my reman Jeep engine soon, but decided to wait until the oil change that started after 20K miles.

Audi pays for your 1st Service(Oil Change) @ 5k miles.

Then every 10k. Sorry I got confused.

The TBN question is a good one. Conventional wisdom is TBN depletion is not linear, but it seems to really not linear. In the gas engine UOA section there's a series recent UOAs on a 2006 Tundra, including several samples of the same fill: one at 5,000 miles and one at 10,000. These samples show a lot of depletion in the first 5k, but far less in the second, allowing a 3.x TBN at 5k to make it to 10k safely.

Your engine may be different, but I wouldn't assume 10k is out of the question quite yet. Guess the only way to be absolutely sure is another UOA or two.

What this does show is that the factory 507.00 oil isn't robust enough for a 10K mile OCI. My 2011 VW Touareg TDI is the CATA engine and Balla's newer engine may have some internal differences. I've posted my UOA on the factory fill here and I think the 507 oils are too weak for an OCI out the the 10K range. Fine for 5-7K, but no one has posted anything to suggest they won't cause preventable wear in going out to the intervals VW specs.

Delayed edit to above. My opinion on the abilities of 507 oils pertains to the V6 engines. The oil is very capable of extended drains in the 4 cyl diesels.

It is way to early to be making much, if any, predictions past what would be conjecture.

Here's what we know for sure:
Use an OEM approved lube and follow the OEM schedule, and you rig will be fine. They recommend (I'm going by the OPs post) two shorter OCIs at 5k miles, and then 10k mile OCIs. I'd start by following that.

UOAs are pretty much worthless when equipment is new. Too much noise and not everything is settled. It might be fun to look at one this early in it's lifecycle, but it's not really helpful; don't confuse the two.

I'd follow the OEM schedule, then test at the end of the 20k miles (5k + 5k +10k); by then, the engine and lubes will likely have normalized.

As for the TBN, we know it's not linear. No sense in judging this load. I know nothing in particular but the lube listed here; not sure of it's starting TBN. I'd not worry about it at this point.

Is this an OCI or just a UOA, at 3k miles?

Originally Posted By: wensteph
What this does show is that the factory 507.00 oil isn't robust enough for a 10K mile OCI. My 2011 VW Touareg TDI is the CATA engine and Balla's newer engine may have some internal differences. I've posted my UOA on the factory fill here and I think the 507 oils are too weak for an OCI out the the 10K range. Fine for 5-7K, but no one has posted anything to suggest they won't cause preventable wear in going out to the intervals VW specs.

Can't see what is wrong with this oil when you consider the break in wear factors. The Cr and Pb are fine, so the rings and main bearings are happy. The insolubles indicate the filter is still fairly clean and there is no fuel or coolant contamination. TBN of 3 is OK with this type of oil and it might not fully reflect the add pack performance due to new components.

Interesting to see there is no Moly in this oil, which is similar to Liqui Moly High Tech Synthoil 5/40 (No Moly), which works real well in my Volvo 1.9TD. The 2ppm might be a trace of engine final assembly lubricant spray or dip. I still get a few ppm from a Mobil truck oil that was used over 100K km ago.
It does seem to be lower in Ca terms, so I think I will stick with LM for my older diesel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back