12ga semiauto shotgun?

looking for 12ga semiauto shotgun recommendations across a range of price/quality calculations. general purpose use: protection, informal clays, maybe hunting eventually but not yet... want: barrel 18.5-24” long; no pistol grip; all 50 state- and canada-legal; utterly reliable. tried a benelli, excellent but pricey...pay once cry once? sorry if my query is imprecise, my only shotguns are 20ga and 410 singles that don’t get out much. thanks!

JTS M12AK is on my list, Videos show it is very reliable. And cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Remington V3, which I've shot quite a bit and find it to be completely reliable. The gas port design is the simplest auto shotgun design I've ever seen and I believe the simplest that exists. Simple often means utterly reliable. There is nothing to go wrong with the gas system. The design is similar to the Versamax, but for 2.75" shells.

Last edited:
I had an 1100 many years ago. If the new ones are anything like it was it will be great. I think Benelli would be a fine choice too.

As I’m sure you’re awAre Beretta and Browning are big players too.

Before you buy do yourself a favor and mount/shoot a beretta 1301 tactical. I'm a fan of the FN SLP Police model as well. Solid shotty. Secondary to the two mentioned, Rem 11-87 Police model. 15 Years as a LE instructor and our 11-87's were run hard for days on end training. 11-87's (and 1100's) require a lot more maintenance and cleaning than the 1301/FN SLP/Benelli M4. Also, look out for the liftgates on the Remington's. MIM liftgate issues for many years of production. And the part is difficult to find.

Back to the Beretta 1301 ... Makes owning a Benelli M4 irrelevant. And that folks is saying something.

the better inertia semi auto shotguns are retay masai mara and gordion. they are copy of benelli shotguns, but without the problems and recoil of the benelli shotguns. and less expensive too. if you want a close to perfect benelli, they are it.

some of the best gas operated semi auto shotguns are fabarm xlr5 velocity ar. they cost twice the price of a benelli or beretta. made in italy. they are work of arts. and they shoot and handle like a dream. if you want to spoil yourself.

my personal semi auto is a 12 gauge beretta a400 extreme unico camo optifade with 30 in barrel. it is built like a tank, a dream to shoot even with heavy loads. recoil is much easier to manage than a benelli. i had a super black eagle 2 and it kicked like a mule. it is gas operated, easy to maintain and it is heavier than a benelli. over 8 pounds. the gas system and weight tame the recoil. you can shoot 2.75 shotshells all day long.

if you want a very good semi auto with 21 or 24 barrel, check the 1301 series of beretta shotguns. my favorite is the 1301 comp pro with 24 barrel. but yes they are expensive.

I realize this is different from your list of criteria. IWI makes an awesome 12 ga. 15+2 rounds

1657849066036.jpeg

Back