126k Lexus is350 stopped burning oil??? w pics

I have had used vehicles reduce oil consumption over time. In every case I used synthetic oil or even added 1/2 can of seafoam to the oil for 15-20,000 miles and drove normally. We’ve got a Volvo that went from a quart every 1k to maybe 1qt over 7000 miles. most Of the time we don’t get lucky like that, but every once in a while.

we bought a used gs350 this year. It had a bit of valve tick and I suspect an issue brewing in the rear passenger cylinder, based on spark plug signs. I don’t get on it much, but do on occasion, and it’s also on synthetic oil. It could just be me, but it’s getting quieter over time.

agree, this family of cars is fun to drive. It’s a great “drivers car.”

m

One thing is clear is that Toyota still does not know how to make oil dipstick (though I have to commend them for keeping oil dipstick in the first place).
I check oil on my Sienna, which I drive like it is a sports car, in the morning as that is most accurate reading. If I check after 30min or and hour, oil is all over dipstick. It always shows overfill, which is impossible as I always put 6.4qt which is what goes in 2GR-FE.
On another note, yes, italian tune up might clear up stuff and do some good to an engine.

Well you mean there actually be something to the old Italian tune-up?
I think it had its part in it for sure. I posted my last write up in the pcmo as well named toyota engine stopped burning oil. The PO possibly didnt take care of it and also probably had short driving distances and maybe skipping oci or extending them, and it sitting for over a year didnt help. I know for a fact that when I drove conservatively it burnt way more than when I romped it here and there. But now I hope I can just drive it like before (2100 rpm) without burning oil.

I have had used vehicles reduce oil consumption over time. In every case I used synthetic oil or even added 1/2 can of seafoam to the oil for 15-20,000 miles and drove normally. We’ve got a Volvo that went from a quart every 1k to maybe 1qt over 7000 miles. most Of the time we don’t get lucky like that, but every once in a while.

we bought a used gs350 this year. It had a bit of valve tick and I suspect an issue brewing in the rear passenger cylinder, based on spark plug signs. I don’t get on it much, but do on occasion, and it’s also on synthetic oil. It could just be me, but it’s getting quieter over time.

agree, this family of cars is fun to drive. It’s a great “drivers car.”

m
What issues do you have with the rear plugs? Hopefully you got a good air filter if not it could be a leaky gasket that may have something burning there that shouldnt. Also valve tick is interesting... ours are hydraulic powered so it may need "cleaning" with those synthetics, if the PO didnt care for it.

^^^^

so, I bought the GS with 72k miles on it, pretty low mileage. It was a California car and it looked to have been nickel and diming the owner. Carmax actually had it priced reasonably, perhaps due to reduced sales, but I found a bunch of brokes, which they, to their credit, fixed. Sunroof motor, two lock motors, seatbelt retractor, fuel pump.... and all which they farmed off to the Lexus dealership to perform. its already paid for the extended warranty I picked up, something I’m not inclined to normally do. also, I figured at 72,000, the car was still too new to be harmed by insufficient major maintenance.

I went through it all myself in the months after the purchase - brakes all around, 2 ATF d/f, diff fluid, plugs, oil, filters. 5 of the plugs were consistent and clean, with maybe just a touch of looking like it runs rich. Since this is a high strung (I had no idea what I was buying, had no idea the pedigree of this engine, I just assumed it was their Swiss Army knife minivan/Camry/suv motor) engine with a lot of tech, forged internals, etc., i could see it perhaps running rich, AND those 5 were consistent, so, “ok.” The 6th was probably still an almost clean-ish plug. It looks like it’s burned some coolant or came from a vehicle which has seen a lot of cheap fuel. Rearward passenger side. It wasn’t bad enough to warrant a drive to seek warranty work because it shows no other symptoms besides some clicking from that corner, and it has consumed zero coolant. the plugs that came out looked original, and there was a surprising amount of gap wear for iridiums. I installed new... either denso or ngk (iridiums) and just drive it.

are the lifters really hydraulic in the 350’s v6?? I wouldn’t expect that, for as high strung as that engine is, but I wouldn’t be disappointed at all if they are.

-m

ps- and btw it is a wonderful vehicle. it actually took me some time to get used to - I wanted a smaller runabout so I wasn’t always driving the truck, and had been looking at used volvos (I quite like the gen1 s60s but they are getting pretty harried, tried the 2nd gens and felt they lost their soul), and then considered small bmws for RWD. Couldn’t get comfortable in the ones I saw and the salesman let me sit in a Lexus. Seats were almost as good as a Volvo, but the Japanese design language for luxury was weird to me (most of my cars have been far more basic), and the handling dynamics were strange at first. It has a long wheelbase for its body length and ... it may sound funny ... but I found it took a lot of body language to get the car to rotate (front/rear) for turn-in and balanced handling. Not that anyone really needs to get that feel, driving a Lexus at the speed limit around town, but even in my middle-aged place in life, i need to feel the CG and dynamics of the vehicle to be comfortable. Truly, I found that the car will absolutely respond, it’s poised ready for stronger inputs to set the chassis up and then will perform well beyond what I’m used to. It’s willing to be quite serious about its play. Understanding it, it’s a joy to putt-putt around town in. The infotainment designer ... again, an attempt at luxury that goes outside my bounds for form vs function, but ... in the end it’s a tool. Reminds me of the same dna as the 80’s celicas - heavy front end, RWD, very weighty-feeling chassis. It’s amazing that their designs over 40 years somehow have a remarkably reminiscent feel.

Last edited:
^^^^

so, I bought the GS with 72k miles on it, pretty low mileage. It was a California car and it looked to have been nickel and diming the owner. Carmax actually had it priced reasonably, perhaps due to reduced sales, but I found a bunch of brokes, which they, to their credit, fixed. Sunroof motor, two lock motors, seatbelt retractor, fuel pump.... and all which they farmed off to the Lexus dealership to perform. its already paid for the extended warranty I picked up, something I’m not inclined to normally do. also, I figured at 72,000, the car was still too new to be harmed by insufficient major maintenance.

I went through it all myself in the months after the purchase - brakes all around, 2 ATF d/f, diff fluid, plugs, oil, filters. 5 of the plugs were consistent and clean, with maybe just a touch of looking like it runs rich. Since this is a high strung (I had no idea what I was buying, had no idea the pedigree of this engine, I just assumed it was their Swiss Army knife minivan/Camry/suv motor) engine with a lot of tech, forged internals, etc., i could see it perhaps running rich, AND those 5 were consistent, so, “ok.” The 6th was probably still an almost clean-ish plug. It looks like it’s burned some coolant or came from a vehicle which has seen a lot of cheap fuel. Rearward passenger side. It wasn’t bad enough to warrant a drive to seek warranty work because it shows no other symptoms besides some clicking from that corner, and it has consumed zero coolant. the plugs that came out looked original, and there was a surprising amount of gap wear for iridiums. I installed new... either denso or ngk (iridiums) and just drive it.

are the lifters really hydraulic in the 350’s v6?? I wouldn’t expect that, for as high strung as that engine is, but I wouldn’t be disappointed at all if they are.

-m

ps- and btw it is a wonderful vehicle. it actually took me some time to get used to - I wanted a smaller runabout so I wasn’t always driving the truck, and had been looking at used volvos (I quite like the gen1 s60s but they are getting pretty harried, tried the 2nd gens and felt they lost their soul), and then considered small bmws for RWD. Couldn’t get comfortable in the ones I saw and the salesman let me sit in a Lexus. Seats were almost as good as a Volvo, but the Japanese design language for luxury was weird to me (most of my cars have been far more basic), and the handling dynamics were strange at first. It has a long wheelbase for its body length and ... it may sound funny ... but I found it took a lot of body language to get the car to rotate (front/rear) for turn-in and balanced handling. Not that anyone really needs to get that feel, driving a Lexus at the speed limit around town, but even in my middle-aged place in life, i need to feel the CG and dynamics of the vehicle to be comfortable. Truly, I found that the car will absolutely respond, it’s poised ready for stronger inputs to set the chassis up and then will perform well beyond what I’m used to. It’s willing to be quite serious about its play. Understanding it, it’s a joy to putt-putt around town in. The infotainment designer ... again, an attempt at luxury that goes outside my bounds for form vs function, but ... in the end it’s a tool. Reminds me of the same dna as the 80’s celicas - heavy front end, RWD, very weighty-feeling chassis. It’s amazing that their designs over 40 years somehow have a remarkably reminiscent feel.
Sounds like they didnt use premium fuel or it wasnt a top tier station. I would only run 91+ in it and make sure its a station thats top tier otherwise it creates more junk in the combustion chamber.

^^^^

-m

I would also add that you should consider the italian tune up once in a blue moon since it could also be carbon buildup on those plugs especially if the car was driven conservatively with bad fuel which could be the reason for the plug buildup. I would add either redline s1 or techron complete or liqui moly jectron, one of these fuel additives to the tank so it cleans up any junk within the fuel system as well.

Hehe. Italian tuneups are a bit trickier for me in this car. It seems like by the time my foot gets the pedal to the floor, we’re already at 40 and in the blink of an eye we’re at 60. I like the idea of throwing some Techron in there, that’s a good idea.

Hehe. Italian tuneups are a bit trickier for me in this car. It seems like by the time my foot gets the pedal to the floor, we’re already at 40 and in the blink of an eye we’re at 60. I like the idea of throwing some Techron in there, that’s a good idea.
I would do it for a few full tanks of top tier 91 or higher octane gas and then you should be good. And yes 😂😂 these 350s are quick, especially the older models, my 06 is350 is the quickest year of them all including the newer gens, so seeing 60 mph is done under 5 seconds. Enjoy your ride I know I have with mine!

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
It's been many decades since I last pulled a dipstick to see amber brown oil over most of the dipstick - yet pitch black on the most bottom-part of the dipstick.

You still have more cleaning to do. Use a better oil than Walmart's Supertech (assumption) and change it every 3k for few OCIs.
Or, you can continue your current program. Your engine won't blow, nor see harm in being bottom-dirty..

most likely the oil is thicker at the bottom due to gravity so it only appears different color.
I See it now. He has the dipstick touching the ground. That dark spot is just oil that dripped off onto the concrete.

I've seen different colors on a dipstick too. When I first went to look at my current Corvette, I asked the owner not to run the car that day before I arrived. I pulled the engine oil dipstick and it was full, there was lighter oil at the top and darker on the bottom. Two things could be happening:

1. The car sat for a long time prior to my arrival and heavier particles in the oil settled toward the bottom of the pan; or
2. The owner added fresh oil prior to my arrival and the fresh stuff stayed on the top layer.

Since the engine doesn't burn or leak any oil, I'm assuming it is #1. But who knows. I only care that the engine is healthy.

This here sums up the toyota engines burning oil, my 06 is350 has the same low tension rings. Cure is good oil and proper oil change intervals. I would argue some WOT every blue moon helps clean the piston holes too.

I would do it for a few full tanks of top tier 91 or higher octane gas and then you should be good. And yes 😂😂 these 350s are quick, especially the older models, my 06 is350 is the quickest year of them all including the newer gens, so seeing 60 mph is done under 5 seconds. Enjoy your ride I know I have with mine!
The Techron was a short-lived but enjoyable tank of gas. the engine had a smoother noted to it during that tank. Not sure how to describe it. It didn’t really “change” anything but the note/sensation was smoother. Kind of like running amsoil‘s upper cylinder lube in the gas tank, or maybe it’s their fuel performance improver (PI). Perhaps it did a little cleaning. Thanks for the thought!

Back