126k Lexus is350 stopped burning oil??? w pics

Heres the backstory I bought an 06 is350 2 years ago and the PO told us that the vehicle sat for a year since they never used it much. So I monitered the oil for the car (99k when bought 126k right now), and the first 3 or 4 oil changes the oil was at or near the bottom level on the dipstick and I checked it after night so I know its correct since 8+ hours of not moving.
I did use PUP 5w30 for the first two or three 5k oci which came out very dark but I personally dont think the pup caused it to stop burning oil.
I did run the car hard for the first few months and still do now but not as much as before. Could it be possible that a stuck ring was unseized from the aggressive driving?? I used the manual mode on it sometimes and it causes for the car to stick up in high rpms if you dont shift early. But normally I now drive the car right around 2100 where it shifts smoothly and I put it under less stress too.

Anyways at the end of my 5k oci before I had to almost add oil and one time I did because it was below the bottom hashmark, but now I am at 4k out of 5k on my interval and it hasnt dropped oil on the dipstick since it got changed and im honestly bewildered and astonished yet also happy.
shocked2.gif
crazy2.gif

Yes I changed it at walmart this last time and sticker says every 3k for their oil but thats a waste, since you can see my mileage is over their requirement.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

20200617_163345.jpg

20200617_163505.jpg

20200617_163347.jpg

Last edited:
It's been many decades since I last pulled a dipstick to see amber brown oil over most of the dipstick - yet pitch black on the most bottom-part of the dipstick.

You still have more cleaning to do. Use a better oil than Walmart's Supertech (assumption) and change it every 3k for few OCIs.
Or, you can continue your current program. Your engine won't blow, nor see harm in being bottom-dirty..

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
It's been many decades since I last pulled a dipstick to see amber brown oil over most of the dipstick - yet pitch black on the most bottom-part of the dipstick.

You still have more cleaning to do. Use a better oil than Walmart's Supertech (assumption) and change it every 3k for few OCIs.
Or, you can continue your current program. Your engine won't blow, nor see harm in being bottom-dirty..

most likely the oil is thicker at the bottom due to gravity so it only appears different color.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
You sure you didn't over fill it? According to that dipstick, its that way now. Sans that, Then I would say a few warm "Italian Tune Ups" probably freed the rings.

Actually I remember when I checked it when it was brand new and the oil level was still around that level actually.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Actually I used pup 5w30 for the first 3 oci, and now im using pennzoil platinum 5w30 since then and the oil color has gotten lighter since the first few PUP 5w30 oci which were very dark when drained. Yes the bottom of the dipstick has a larger amount of oil on it so it darkens the color compared to higher up I believe

Originally Posted by DavidJones
The oil's probably level is probably OK. The fuel that's suddenly mixing with it, could be an issue.

I did smell the oil dipstick and the crankcase because it is a GDI engine, its the 2grfse motor. I didnt smell any gas in it.

Last edited:
PUP has always claimed "50% cleaner pistons" or similar... maybe 3 OCIs of PUP actually cleaned out the ring grooves/lands, along with the Italian tune-up?
Maybe it's just marketing hype? Either way, I am happy for you to see such an improvement. My first though was gas dilution which can raise the oil level but if you are not smelling any gas at all then it must be a wonderful feeling. Enjoy the car.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
An 06 IS350 should be a pretty sweet car esp located in rust free CA.

Its a good car and quick too but will be needing a better mpg car in the future.

Originally Posted by RateNate

Its a good car and quick too but will be needing a better mpg car in the future.

How good of MPG do you need? A friend of mine always brags about getting 30-32 mpg hwy on his IS350, and in my book anything above 25mpg is great. Is yours getting worse MPG than my friend's IS350? Or by better you mean >50mpg?

Actually I drive it pretty conservatively and get an avg of 25-26, but when I reset it and go on the highway for 15+ miles it gets 30-32 which isnt bad..but alas I drive a lot for school and work.

@Vladiator Actually I drive it pretty conservatively and get an avg of 25-26, but when I reset it and go on the highway for 15+ miles it gets 30-32 which isnt bad..but alas I drive a lot for school and work.

That's great news. My Daughter's 2001 IS250 gets about 25 mpg in regular driving. An just like you, she gets over 30 mpg on highway. 220K. Uses a qt every 5K.

My Son's IS350 gets worse mileage but it is a 350. It will make you giggle when you get on it. Much more fun to drive. I can't imagine anyone driving an IS350 conservatively.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Gebo
That's great news. My Daughter's 2001 IS250 gets about 25 mpg in regular driving. An just like you, she gets over 30 mpg on highway. 220K. Uses a qt every 5K.

My Son's IS350 gets worse mileage but it is a 350. It will make you giggle when you get on it. Much more fun to drive. I can't imagine anyone driving an IS350 conservatively.
cheers3.gif

Hahaha well I do give it some pushes here and there which I am assuming did something beneficial to my engine since it stopped burning oil lolol!

Back