1200cc BMW Twins and 5W-40 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2011 R1200R running M1 TDT 5W-40 for the Winter with only 5000miles on the odometer. While 5W-40 is an approved viscosity with no limit on high temps in my manual, I almost always see guys AND dealerships using 15W or 20W-50 oil in these big twins.

Is this just 'old habits' from the AirHead BMW days? I myself am an 'oldtimer' that has drained many a bottle of 20W-50 in my day but I am starting to listed to the "thin is in" mantra.

Are you running Xw-50 in your big BMW Twin?

I certainly can't speak for BMW but my 2012 Kawasaki does not allow a 5W-anything. It's 10W-30 through 20W-50 for the full spectrum of temperatures. You're expected to choose your viscosity based on the chart.

If it's air cooled I'd think the heavier fluid would be more appropriate. If it's liquid cooled then it's a different ball game.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
I certainly can't speak for BMW but my 2012 Kawasaki does not allow a 5W-anything. It's 10W-30 through 20W-50 for the full spectrum of temperatures. You're expected to choose your viscosity based on the chart.

If it's air cooled I'd think the heavier fluid would be more appropriate. If it's liquid cooled then it's a different ball game.

That "chart" used to run 20W-50 at higher temps but my 2011 manual shows only "Cold use" limits with no prohibition of 5W oil or of 40W oil at the higher temps. The bike is Air/oil cooled and does have a thermostatically controlled oil cooler.

Hi,
ammolab - In the 1990s I purchased (new) the last R100RS imported into Australia

I ran the original Castrol SLX 0W-30 in this engine in temps from -5C to >40C without any issues. All UOAs were in order

It is probably wise to use the lightest viscosity BMW recommend for your application

I use a Castrol 5W-40 synthetic in my Suzuki Burgman 650 and have done for almost four years. The temps are similar to above

Last edited:
Upon reviewing the rider's manual for the newer R1200R [post April 2010] I see that BMW has finally relaxed their longstanding recommendation for heavier viscosities. Prior to this the primary viscosity recommendation was 20w-50 with 10w-40 being acceptable up to 86 F. The trend had been to approve 5-10-15w50 for all temperatures followed by this latest recommandation approving 5w-40 for all temperatures. I wonder if this is related to their acceptance of synth oils with their increased heat tolerance. Depending on usage, I would be inclined to run 15w-50 in the heat of Texas summers.

To Doug:
In view of your propensity to stay with a manufacturer's recommendations as regards oil standards and viscosity, I find it unusual that you used an 0w-30 rated oil in an aircooled machine in Australian heat in contravention to BMW's specifying a 20w-50 at that time.

Hi,
KernelK - You are observant - great!

When the original ester based FORMULA SLX (the original "GC" on here) was introduced here in OZ I was field testing some lubricants in association with Castrol.

I commenced using it in several engine families and in most applications including this one it performed very well. It had BMW and Porsche approvals and it had an HTHS vis of 3.6 as I recall.

However, due to some "problems" it was eventually withdrawn from sale - even after two reformulations!!

When the issues became obvious in other applications the Bimmer went on to GTS. These issues were not evident in the R100RS application

That said the SLX was a great performer in the R100RS and oil temperature, UOAs and other data showed this to be the case
It was temporarily sold here as a race oil too and used in some V8 Supercars!

Doug,

Knowing your background, I had suspected that this was part of a field test.

Thanks

Doug / Guys:

Thanks for the info. I feel good with the current 5W-40 and will run it out to 6000miles during the Winter. I will do analysis on it at that service drain and post the results.

So many BMW riders and dealers STILL WARN of using Synthetic oil early in these Big twins. I changed to synthetic at 3000 miles and I am not burning oil, leaking oil or shead'n parts yet!

I have some "free from rebate" VR-1 Syn 20W-50 I may run this summer, maybe not. I can always put that in the old K75C. It has seen it's share of 20W-50 over the years.

The bmw R series are fairly easy on their engine oil, seeing as they don't share it with the tranny etc as the majority of Japanese bikes.

What your are using in the winter is not going to be a problem but I've always lived by the rule if its air cooled in the summer then 20-50, if its water cooled then 10-40.

As long as the 10-40 oil will stay in the proper viscosity range then it will work. If you do some research I think you'll find that the 10-40 drops too much in the viscosity range as it is used in the engine.

With oil its each to their own. The engineers who designed these bikes know what works.

Originally Posted By: cycleman

With oil its each to their own. The engineers who designed these bikes know what works.

I have no problem with that... 20W-50 is not an approved viscosity for my BMW bike and 5W-40 IS recomended with no upper temp limit. Good for any temperature above 17*F or something like that.

Originally Posted By: moontan
you'll get snappier throttle response with lighter oil in that oilhead..less fluid drag

Plenty of torque and "snap" there for me with dealers 20W-50 from the 600mile service!!! I'm not sure I could tell the difference! I think I will stick with 5W-40 oils in this bike.

In my R1100r I used 20-50 year round. Our winters don't allow riding so the cold weather wasn't an issue.

I did a 6000 mile 3 Flags trip, plus a holiday on the return ride and never had any issues with oil usage.

I think you'll find that BMW still recommends the 20-50 weight in the summer for the R1200 series engine. The 40 weight oil just falls short of the proper viscosity for summer time temps.

I think you'll find that BMW still recommends the 20-50 weight in the summer for the R1200 series engine. The 40 weight oil just falls short of the proper viscosity for summer time temps.

If so...the failed to list it in the USA owner's manual for 2011.

Last edited:
I typically run Mob1 15w-50 in my 2001 oilhead with no oil use and have done so since 1200 miles. I change annually regardless of miles. The boxer engine is pretty easy on oils and the HDEO (Rotella 5w-40) oils are excellent for the new camhead engine.

I miss Katy, TX.

Originally Posted By: BMWR1150GS
I typically run Mob1 15w-50 in my 2001 oilhead with no oil use and have done so since 1200 miles. I change annually regardless of miles. The boxer engine is pretty easy on oils and the HDEO (Rotella 5w-40) oils are excellent for the new camhead engine.

I miss Katy, TX.

I may go the T6 Rotella route myself as I use it in the Wife's 250 NINJA. May start putting it in the K75C also. It's nice to not have to stock seperate oils for each vehicle.

I am moving to Ruidoso, NM in two months. MUCH better Bike roads.... so I may not miss Katy TEXAS at all!

Last edited:
I'm using 10-50 Castrol syn in my old airhead, but the chart in the manual has a number of grades listed based on temp ranges. Since it doesn't get that hot here, the T6 5-40 covers the range I would see unless I get to the Florida promised land with it. I use it in my cars.

Originally Posted By: ammolab

If so...the failed to list it in the USA owner's manual for 2011.

You might want to check around as something is not right. My R1100R called for 20-50 in the summer and I serviced a friends R1200R and it also called for 20-50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back