1200 miles 2017 3500hd Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
I love this truck. I was never ever a truck guy until now.
So here goes.
I will start with the bad.
It is taller than the old truck and I am an Umpa Lumpa. So I need to get running boards.
Tailgate locks and unlocks with doors. BOO!! I dont think it can be disabled.
No rear HAVC. Would be nice to have it
Stock hitch makes it awkward to install safety chains.
I could say MPG but not a downside to me.
Pros
Super quiet and comfortable.
Integrated brake controller is awesome.
Tows 7700lbs effortlessly. I can't imagine what a disel could do.
Grade braking is phenomenal.
Infotainment is easy and works great!
MPG vs old truck. I get almost 2 more MPG towing
I have never been more happy with a vehicle purchase.
I should not have waited to update!

Originally Posted by ls1mike
Tailgate locks and unlocks with doors. BOO!! I dont think it can be disabled.

Pretty sure that can be changed in the DIC.

I could say MPG but not a downside to me.

Wait until gas hits $4 again.

I don't care. I have been through that with old truck that got worse mpg. You do know this is a fourth vehicle for me. I dont drive it daily. There are more important things in life than gas mileage if you are worried about mpg then you cant pay to play.

I looked in DIC. I didn't see it.

Last edited:
I don't care. I have been through that with old truck that got worse mpg. You do know this is a fourth vehicle for me. I dont drive it daily. There are more important things in life than gas mileage if you are worried about mpg then you cant pay to play.

I looked in DIC. I didn't see it.

If you have access to a GM scan tool, may be able to disable that Mike. I like the looks and style of your truck. Don't worry about the naysayers here. Everyone seems to have a "opinion" these days
wink.gif

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
How is the MPG with the newer 6.0? Does it have the dreaded AFM system?

6.0 never had it in 3/4 ton or better. Old truck would get 13 to 14 empty 7 ish towing.
New truck about 16 empty. 9ish towing.
Caprice has it in 14 it was updated. I have not seen or heard about any 14+ failures.

Last edited:

6.0 never had it in 3/4 ton or better. Old truck would get 13 to 14 empty 7 ish towing.

Those are great numbers! Any way to see photos of it? Wait, are you in AZ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbslider001

Those are great numbers! Any way to see photos of it? Wait, are you in AZ?

[Linked Image]

I am in WA state. Wish I lived in AZ.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Nice truck! I want to upgrade soon. Do you remember, if it can be bought without carpet?

No carpet in mine.

Mike,

I have a 2018 HD with the Duramax. I would parrot the same pros and cons you gave. Especially the locking tailgate that only locks/unlocks with the doors, annoying. I would add that the torque wars with the diesels have become stupid at this point. We pull our travel trailer and gross about 18,000 lbs. It's amazing to pull a steep grade and not have the transmission shift out of double overdrive (6th). The Duramax has the ability to make so much torque that if you load these trucks up and always have you race to your next destination, you're going to reduce the life of the drivetrain.

That's a really sharp truck! Glad to hear you're enjoying it and it's serving you well.

The only dread about MDS and AFM is it works well and a few people who know a second cousin who's boyfriend's husband has one which consumes a quart of oil every 200 miles and is on its 5th rebuild in 12K miles.

And Mike it's a sharp truck I've got thousands of miles behind a 2500 Duramax and I'm impressed by the comfort and easy of operation. For a 3/4 ton truck the ride is well refined.

The lack of rear air is a disappointment on the 2014 - 2018 models. I really liked the 2018 1500 Z71 but that was a no go with my Wife.

Originally Posted by wwillson
Mike,

I have a 2018 HD with the Duramax. I would parrot the same pros and cons you gave. Especially the locking tailgate that only locks/unlocks with the doors, annoying. I would add that the torque wars with the diesels have become stupid at this point. We pull our travel trailer and gross about 18,000 lbs. It's amazing to pull a steep grade and not have the transmission shift out of double overdrive (6th). The Duramax has the ability to make so much torque that if you load these trucks up and always have you race to your next destination, you're going to reduce the life of the drivetrain.

My retirement truck will be a diesel. I wanted one but couldn't justify the extra cash to tow 7700lbs 3000 to 5000 miles a year.
I will say that the new trucks ride so much nicer than the old ones. My 02 would beat you up pretty good. This thing is pretty civil, even empty.
With this truck I rarely drop below 4th were the old truck would routinely see second gear to hold the same speeds.

You could probably just drag my trailer around on it's frame with your truck and not even know it is there.

Nice. My preference is for a cap on the back, keeps rain off stuff, but otherwise looks great to me. Love my running boards, when the cheapo set rotted out I spent a bit more to go nicer, as I don't think I could live without them--I step onto them to get in, but before bringing in my feet, I bang 'em off. Makes a big difference in winter.

You can no longer change the auto lock settings in the DIC on the newer trucks. You can change when they lock-but you can't change that they WILL LOCK. It can be changed in the ECM at the Dealer level-for a charge.....

Last edited:
Maybe you could run a switch in the harness to the tail gate....on locks with the doors and off it doesn't. Or just unplug the actuator in the tail gate. There is no way to disable it with a Tech2 or MDI, I did check that for you.

Nice truck! Glad you like it. How have you been?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back