120,000 Ft.-Lbs. Torque

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 9 year old son is a train fanatic. We rode this on Saturday. Here is a short clip of the train as it pulls up to the depot for boarding.

There is something primal that can be uncovered in men when in the presence of a breathing black hulk of steel on a cold November night.

Yes, cool indeed.

I've seen the UP's 844 and 3985 in person, but not on the move like in your video.

I'll have to show this to my friend- he's a major steam locomotive fan- Has all kinds of UP steam literature, whistles, drawings, pictures and has been on some of the steam excursions...

Yes, they are awesome machines. Years ago we had a steam excursion train pass through on the old Reading Railroad lines. Standing next to the steamed-up locomotive, listening to the little "tinks" and clicks from the metal, knowing it was full of superheated water, awesome... and a bit spooky.

Bombardier has some pretty cool trains:

http://www.bombardier.com/en/transportation/products-services/rail-vehicles/locomotives/other.html

Originally Posted By: Bombardier
The IORE locomotive for Sweden and Norway is one of the most powerful electric locomotives in the world. Two of these locomotives are always used as married pair, which permits an axle load of 30 t, a starting tractive effort of 1200 kN and a power of 10800 kW. It is designed for the transport of iron ore.

I ran that through a unit converter and got:
1200 kilonewton = 8679616.621452 pound foot/second²
10800 kilowatt = 14483.03856763 horsepower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back