'12 VW Passat TDI - Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to post my most recent UOA for my TDI. I decided to wait a while before doing another analysis due to the fact that most people were seeing higher levels of aluminum with these engines and no one knew exactly why. Some thought there might be a problem with the new design, or an indication that the turbo was failing based on the number of bad turbo's from a specific run. Blackstone's earlier comments also suggested the numbers were high compared to their "averages", but have since updated these numbers to reflect the 2.0 tdi motors and not compared to the older tdi motors which are very different.

This UOA is using the Pennzoil Ultra Euro L, which I have been using for the last 4-5 oil changes. Since the last UOA shown around 50k (which was Liqui-Moly Top Tec 4200), I have been changing my oil at the recommended 10k mile intervals as there were no substantiated reasons not too. It seems Blackstone feels the results are good compared to the updated averages, even though the aluminum may be a little higher. They recommended increasing my intervals to 12k miles, but I'm not sure whether I'm comfortable with that just yet. All in all with the price I've been getting the Pennzoil from Amazon, it seems pretty tough to beat and I'm already loaded up for at least 2 more oil changes sitting in the garage.

Any thoughts?

12%20Passat%208-21-15%20ID%20removed%20report_zpsbltronro.jpg

Last edited:
Good looking report...

Big fan of the ultra euro, I used to use it (5w40) in our E46 BMW. Though It's been harder to find and price has crept up. Last OC I switched to Castrol Euro 0w/40 which is also LL-01 approved

Last edited:
I'd stick with the Euro L on 10K changes for now. It's shear stable and TBN retention is strong (must be all the long drives!). I don't believe aluminum tracks with mileage so their suggestion of upping to 12K miles might not be a bad idea given the condition of the oil.

Maybe try Mobil 1 ESP after the Euro L is used up? It's got some moly in it and may help reduce wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back