12 hour AC repair

Arrived home from a week out of town late last night to a hot house (88 deg) despite having our neighbor cancel the hold earlier in they day. The air handler was running but not the outdoor unit. Thank god it was in the 70s last night and we were able to air the house out enough to sleep. First thing in the AM I pulled the capacitor from the outdoor unit, my multimeter can't do capacitance so I checked the resistance, no readings across any of the pairs which from what I gather indicated it'd gone bad. No obvious bulging or anything else. Checked Amazon and was able to get same day delivery, part was $16. It arrived at 8, had it in at 8:10, started right up. I figured if that wasn't the problem, I'd have been waiting until Monday to call an HVAC company anyway so why not give it a shot.

I've read in the past that you might as well have a spare one on hand. Good advice.

jeff

Replace the contactor along with the capacitor and carry spares for both. Altogether about thirty dollars.

I keep a spare capacitor on hand, and it has paid-off twice. The capacitors manufactured now days don't last as long as they one did, especially the dual capacitors.

I keep a capacitor and a contactor . Also a bottle of turbine oil for the fans .

I got a "Capcom" (which I gather is the new name of GE's spun-off Genteq line) which says it's made in Mexico. The original one lasted about 8 years, dunno if that's good or bad.

jeff

Back