12 American Turbos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I raced a Neon SRT4 at the drag strip years ago in my WRX. Having AWD, I got him off the line. But he inched away from me beating me by 3/10ths of a second.

PT Cruiser GT and HHR SS

Although one can argue that they are wagon versions of the Neon SRT/4 and Cobalt SS.

Could you consider Diamond Star Motors to be "American"? Joint venture between Chrysler and Mitsubishi to build the Eagle Talon, Mitsubishi Eclipse, and Plymouth Laser in Illinois?

I don't think any line of turbocharged cars built in the US has had more of a cult following.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mlatour
1980-81 Pontiac Turbo 4.9 liter V-8 Trans-Am / Formula Firebird
man those were slow! I raced one with my 69 chevelle with A 283 and 3 on the tree and was so far ahead of it by 2nd gear we stopped the race lol

Originally Posted By: Trav
They forgot the Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice

Forgot about that one. Those were pretty decent.

True, but it was not good.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

True, but it was not good.
smile.gif

Understatement! I have heard that it was one of the worst turbos.. ever.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Could you consider Diamond Star Motors to be "American"? Joint venture between Chrysler and Mitsubishi to build the Eagle Talon, Mitsubishi Eclipse, and Plymouth Laser in Illinois?

I don't think any line of turbocharged cars built in the US has had more of a cult following.

Except for the mid 80s turbo Regals, (at least in ardor/fanaticism) but yes, in shear volume following (because of production numbers/cost/availability), the DSMs were a cult.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I wish GM did more with the Buick Grand National engine.

A higher boosted/modded than even the GNX version would have been cool stuck in the middle of a latter Fiero!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif
19.gif

The Turbo 301 V8 of the Trans AM was the engineering equivalent of putting Nancy Grace and Bill O'Reilly together to make a sexy movie. The potential was just never there, regardless of what components they thought they were using.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
The Turbo 301 V8 of the Trans AM was the engineering equivalent of putting Nancy Grace and Bill O'Reilly together to make a sexy movie. The potential was just never there, regardless of what components they thought they were using.

crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I don't know why they didn't just use the Buick 231 Turbo. It was already in production. (Monte Carlo and Buick Regal T-Type)

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: CT8
I wish GM did more with the Buick Grand National engine.

A higher boosted/modded than even the GNX version would have been cool stuck in the middle of a latter Fiero!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif
19.gif

In the day I thought that as well. Probably a 28 mpg and at least a 12 second car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back