12 American Turbos

I raced a Neon SRT4 at the drag strip years ago in my WRX. Having AWD, I got him off the line. But he inched away from me beating me by 3/10ths of a second.

Could you consider Diamond Star Motors to be "American"? Joint venture between Chrysler and Mitsubishi to build the Eagle Talon, Mitsubishi Eclipse, and Plymouth Laser in Illinois? I don't think any line of turbocharged cars built in the US has had more of a cult following.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mlatour
1980-81 Pontiac Turbo 4.9 liter V-8 Trans-Am / Formula Firebird
man those were slow! I raced one with my 69 chevelle with A 283 and 3 on the tree and was so far ahead of it by 2nd gear we stopped the race lol

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2021
Originally Posted By: Trav
They forgot the Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice
Forgot about that one. Those were pretty decent.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2021
True, but it was not good. smile

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
True, but it was not good. smile
Understatement! I have heard that it was one of the worst turbos.. ever.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Could you consider Diamond Star Motors to be "American"? Joint venture between Chrysler and Mitsubishi to build the Eagle Talon, Mitsubishi Eclipse, and Plymouth Laser in Illinois? I don't think any line of turbocharged cars built in the US has had more of a cult following.
Except for the mid 80s turbo Regals, (at least in ardor/fanaticism) but yes, in shear volume following (because of production numbers/cost/availability), the DSMs were a cult.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I wish GM did more with the Buick Grand National engine.
A higher boosted/modded than even the GNX version would have been cool stuck in the middle of a latter Fiero! thumbsup USA drive

The Turbo 301 V8 of the Trans AM was the engineering equivalent of putting Nancy Grace and Bill O'Reilly together to make a sexy movie. The potential was just never there, regardless of what components they thought they were using.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
The Turbo 301 V8 of the Trans AM was the engineering equivalent of putting Nancy Grace and Bill O'Reilly together to make a sexy movie. The potential was just never there, regardless of what components they thought they were using.
crackmeup thumbsup I don't know why they didn't just use the Buick 231 Turbo. It was already in production. (Monte Carlo and Buick Regal T-Type)

CT8

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: CT8
I wish GM did more with the Buick Grand National engine.
A higher boosted/modded than even the GNX version would have been cool stuck in the middle of a latter Fiero! thumbsup USA drive
In the day I thought that as well. Probably a 28 mpg and at least a 12 second car.