12,000 miles..Options-Change to GC now,or run Neutra first

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJ

Last week purchased a '03' Lexus is300 with the straight-line six and runs great..Very smooth,with power.This engine Lexus also used for years in some Toyota vehicles and has a good reputation and not a sludge producer.

Currently has 12,000 miles and from history record,oil was changed according to recommendation at 5,000 and 10,000 miles.The current second change (assume using Toyota oil/filter),having 2,000 miles on it, just started to turn a little off color..My plan was to go ahead now and change over to GC and also start the 3 oz. of RX maintenance dose,but not knowing how dirty the engine could get in 12,000 miles and having some Neutra,have two more options..Add 5 oz. Neutra,to current oil,drive 600 or so miles,then change oil/filter over to the GC with Auto-RX maint dose..Or,completely change oil to Pennzoil 10W-30 "dino",with the 5 oz. of Neutra,run 600 to 1,000 miles before change over to GC..Of the three options,what do you think? I want to take care of this engine,but not over-kill.. Thanks for the help

EJ

Honestly, I don't think that any kind of flush is necessary. If you just want to add some solvency to the oil for cleaning purposes........LC is probably the most economical route.

The one down side of RX is that it takes 3500 for the cycle to be completed. Unless you feel the engine is filthy, which I doubt, I would go the Neutra route and move on. I have used Neutra (full bottle, 12 ounces), for 500 miles, changed the oil and moved on. You could do a quick flush of cheap dino oil after the neutra for 10-20 miles to get everything out and then change over. Since you already have the Neutra not the LC I say go with it.

Go the conservative route. Put 3-5oz of Neutra. in the crankcase . run 300-500 miles. Put the balance in the fuel tank which will help purge from the top and lubricate the upper cylinders as well.

I am with spector! A bottle of 131 for 500 miles change it and be done with it! If not for the 10,000 mile oil change interval on TOyota 5W30 I would not even bother to flush it!

I am going to do a 131 flush when I go over to M1R. I do not want the conventional oil in my sump to skew results of M1R testing.

John,

After posted,was now thinking along the same line as what you and Spector said,to add the Neutra to existing oil,drive 4-500 miles,then a flush to get everything out before change over to the GC.May even drive with the flush oil 500 or so miles before the change over..Over-kill?Probably,but I will know I'm starting fresh with the GC..Thanks all

EJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back