11-yr old Camry hood gets a repaint...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welllllll......
I got tired of this:
...the teenage hood with the zits...most of which came as a result of 2 months of 2x/week night drives on two-lane country highways....
...and mismatched fading pinstripes that were applied without regard for a straight line!

XvywNb.jpg

Here's the new hood repaint and pinstripes. I think they did a fine job...nice smooth finish...great color match blended to the bend in the fender.
...nice work on the stripes...glad I went with silver...nice and subtle...
...there's a bit of a blemish on the corner by the left headlight, but I think I can live with that....I'll make the inevitable first chip easier to take...

The shop called me in to make sure I communicated clearly how I wanted the stripes applied....and they did what I asked....as requested they gave me a few ounces of paint to touch up the hood as needed....

The work confirms that as with all franchises, you have to find the shop that you have confidence in...and this Maaco shop did a quality job...maybe because I was very specific what I needed/expected....maybe because they know it's kind of a rare Camry...in any case here's the evidence...

FpLxDz.jpg

0S0vBa.jpg

vAGEmE.jpg

XvwgS4.jpg

jxWh1c.jpg

WWfHXb.jpg

6iCvTa.jpg

The oldest car in my fleet just got a hood repaint after a dent caused by a flying suspension piece on the interstate. The dent had thread ridges in it from the bolt. The thing I find interesting is how little sun damage there is to the interior. My SAAB dash looked like a slate floor after a while.

Very nice, is that the factory color or did you go with a new one? Not sure if you tailgate or not since that looks to be what caused the damage.

Apparently Maaco starts out with factory color code and works from 3 shade "swatches" to match the 10 years of fade....

I had asked that the grill be removed (and the spray jets be popped) before hood prep and paint, and the paint blended to the bend in the fender makes a real difference I think.

I'm convinced that a good many of the chips are from bugs and insects diving into the headlights as much as from flying dust and dirt....I don't tailgate.

I had considered plasti-dipping the grill but with all the debris sucked into it I'm sure it wouldn't last long...

I will in the future attach a "bra" when driving those 2-lane blacktops...takes 5 minutes to install or remove....here's a 'before' pic.

VOFE4z.jpg

Last edited:
Looks very nice, I have the same road rash on my 2011 toyota avalon from years of driving on roads that carry a lot of gravel trucks.
So you only had the hood painted? Can you give me a rough idea of the cost? Did they paid it with lacquer?

Missed the part about just the hood being repainted. I thought the whole car was painted based on the after pics.
smile.gif

The roof got painted black last year, and the hood got the base-coat/clear-coat treatment after a full sanding prep and primer.

Cost $400 incl. pin-strips + $20 tip.

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
Looks very nice, I have the same road rash on my 2011 toyota avalon from years of driving on roads that carry a lot of gravel trucks.
So you only had the hood painted? Can you give me a rough idea of the cost? Did they paid it with lacquer?

Yeah, the Camry family (incl. avalon and es300/330) are all susceptible to hood chipping....the Kitacamry's clearcoat had faded in places as well, more than I've seen on other Toyo hoods...

Since I'm leaving Florida in a year or two, I got the Maaco job for the national 5-yr warranty (3 years free/4th yr 50%, 5th year 25% repaint cost)...otherwise I'd have gone local for the same price.

Last edited:
To the OP:

No disrespect, but there is NOTHING rare about a Camry. Toyota has made millions of Camrys over the years.

How would the Maaco folks realize that your Camry is "rare"?

Originally Posted By: stchman
To the OP:

No disrespect, but there is NOTHING rare about a Camry. Toyota has made millions of Camrys over the years.

How would the Maaco folks realize that your Camry is "rare"?

I believe it's a stick if that's the only reason I don't know that rare is the right word but it's not a super common car I guess.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Hard to believe suicide bugs cause those paint chips.

Bug go splat. Maybe someone is scraping the bugs off with a putty knife or a women is using her nails.

The "love" bugs in FL make an ugly mess when they are in season and go splat all over your vehicle. To the point that some vehicles overheat. But they do not cause paint chips.

With only 3% of Camrys having a stick, the guys in the shop had likely never seen one before....

...that, and the stylin' (they made a point of complimenting the 17" Italian rims) said "special" to those guys who are into painting cars for more than their "maintenance"....

...in either case, they liked it and told me to take care of my "rare" Camry.

As for the cause of the chips...they nearly all occurred in 2 months of driving 2-lane warm Florida nights....and I now have an easy to install remove bra to use on such trips in the future.

VOFE4z.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you got a top job on your Camry

Mine's gonna have to hit the paint shop one of these days...

Might I suggest some rubbing compound on those headlights?

To remove the light yellow haze before it get's too bad, or you'll have to sand like I had to...
confused.gif

Indeed a rare Camry

Although I suspect mine's also somewhat exclusive
grin.gif

Now if they only did the Japan made SE V6's with a manual
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back