'11 Sonata, Lubrication Engineers' Tetra-Syn 5W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I haven't been here in a _very_ long time. I'm not around much. Thought I'd post this UOA from last summer, mainly because a super-quick search turned up zero hits on here for any Lubrication Engineers' UOAs, though I had thought there used to be, long ago(?).

This Hyundai Sonata has the 2.4-liter GDI engine, lives and 'works' in the lower Sonoran Desert in Arizona, gets driven around mainly by my wife, and has been a good car for us.

This was a Dyson Analysis. No, I will not share Dyson's feedback. Once you look at the numbers, you'll know his feedback.
smile.gif

I had either a PureONE or a DistancePlus filter on it; don't recall which off-hand.

Code:

MI on Oil 5,000

MI on Unit 40,000

Sample Date 07/08/13

Make Up Oil Added None

Oil Type Lubrication Engineers’ Tetra-Syn 8521 (5W20)

ALUMINUM 0

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 7

COPPER 0

LEAD 0

TIN 0

NICKEL 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

VANADIUM 0

SILVER 0

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 0

MOLYBDENUM 50

SILICON 13

SODIUM 10

CALCIUM 1837

MAGNESIUM 33

PHOSPHORUS 702

ZINC 820

BARIUM 0

cSt Viscosity @ 40°C 42.2

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 8.0

Viscosity Index 165

Fuel Dilution % by GC 2.1

Glycol 0

Water ppm 120

TBN 2.08

TAN 3.19

Oxidation 12

Nitration 8

Sulfation 21

Soot % 0

This isn't an early April Fool's joke is it?
2.1% fuel dilution with no wear metals aside from iron?
What did this oil cost?

No, not a joke.
smile.gif
Just a perfectly-tuned, well-maintained engine running a great lube.
Remember that Dyson's fuel numbers are obtained via GC. Very few labs run it that way. The GC number is _much_ better, particularly as compared with the figure a certain extremely popular lab provides, which is nothing more than an estimate based upon flash point.

I don't recall what the price was when I last bought. There may or may not have been a change since then. The price is the same for all customers, though. I buy it in 5-gallon buckets, but cases of quarts (24, I think) are also available. Call the phone number, or email them, on the home page:
http://www.lelubricants.com/index.html
and they'll get you to the right person for your area.

bulwnkl,

as fdcg27 pointed out, it does seem a little unusual that, other than Fe, no other wear metals were noted. I never have seen a 0 for Aluminum.

I agree with the 2.1% fuel number. I am sure if GC tested many of the GM DI engines (2.4 & 3.6L) they would have 3%+ fuel.

And, out of curiosity, what is a perfectly tuned engine? Yours had 40,000 miles at the time of this OCI. Does yours have a special ECU tune, because what maintenance, even new spark plugs, would a 40,000 mile 2011 Sonata need?

It's clear that you care about your vehicle maintenance, using LE oils and Terry Dyson consultation services, but I am just curious as to what is different about this engine/tune.

Gary

Thanks for posting Bulwnkl. I wish this oil had a 0W instead of 5W label. Then I could use it in my Toyota's.

I've posted several 8130 UOA's here. Just search for my name in this section if you want to see them. I've never used Tetra-Syn though. I'm impressed.

Thanks, Indy. I'm sure my search trouble was to do with what key words I used, trying to find L-E.

Tucson, I basically mean things like a CLEAN air filter (this car in this environment that means no more than 10k between replacements), completely sealed air box & intake tract, plugs working properly, high-quality fuel which is perhaps even additized appropriately beyond that... Things in that realm. Plugs are the OEM double-iridiums, but I took 'em out yesterday to inspect. I put them back, but may replace before the ~105k mile specified interval; have to see how things go.

Our desert climate helps with efficient burn, too.
smile.gif

I looked up the price I paid for this last 5-gallon bucket last fall. It works out to ~$8.25/quart.

For all of this completely sealed air box and inlet tract, your UOA still shows 13 ppm silicon.
This seems to be an intriguing oil and the price per quart by the pail doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

bulwnkl,

Thanks for the clarification. Interesting concept regarding your views on 10k air filter changes.

As my username implies, I live in dusty Tucson. I am planning on NOT touching the factory air filter element until either the K & N mileage minder starts showing restriction, my ppm of silicon start rising, or 5 years occurs.

All credible information shows that the filter performs better as it loads, and changing it every 10k miles seems to run counter to that philosophy. But I guess if it's working for you...

I have a UOA to send in, and now I have 1 year and 15k on my engine/air filter so actual results vs. theory will be tested.

Good stuff that LE oil.
wink.gif

Gary

Nice to 'meet' a fellow Arizonan, Tucson Five-O.
smile.gif

Is the rest of your username also accurate?

Originally Posted By: Tucson Five-O

All credible information shows that the filter performs better as it loads

I cannot agree with this. I find that at least OEM paper type air filters pass increasing amounts of 'dirt' as they load. I have seen it time and again on my own vehicles, and I could watch it happen in the fleet I was responsible for at my previous work unit, too. In fact, I will often change air filters following one of our dust storms here, if I've had to be out driving in it. Failure to do so shows up in analysis, though I admit that it is VERY often missed.

Cheers!

What the!

i am gonna try this oil in my next OCI, not sure if I should choose 5w20 or 5w30. Love the high Viscosity Index.

Would try the 5w30 as heard from many sources it quietens the noisy powerplant in the Sonata. Have you tried 5w30 before?

I have their Monolec 10W30 in right now. I do not think it is quieter, but I put the minority of hours on this car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back