11 Mustang GT, Amsoil SigSeries 10w-30, 7304 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would completely disagree on the topic of wear. IMO that is the single largest factor for using a lubricant.

Lubes do several things:
clean
cool
reduce friction (power savings = fuel economy)
reduce wear

By far, the reduction of wear is the greatest. The friction reduction and wear pretty much go hand in hand; they are not purely the same, but they are very much related. However, I will note that as oil ages, the reduction in friction pales in comparison to the reduction of wear. The reduction of friction might be 20%, but the reduction of wear has been shown to be on an order of magitude! The older oil gets the better it gets. Proven in a few SAE studies and certainly UOA shows this to be true as well.

As for the cleanliness, that is a matter of the detergents and dispersents. (BTW - dispersents can actually be counter productive to wear film barrier initiation and end up in their degredation. Did you know that?) In short, you can have too much of a good thing.

Yes - I believe that sludger engines are a result of poor design. If they did not have "hot spots" they would not coke oil at localized areas. Those engines don't overheat oil in the entire engine; they are localized. That is a design flaw. Or, in the case of some Saturn engines (of which I recently learned) was a matter of lack of oil drain at the piston rings; no "synthetic" is going to magically create a drain where it does not physically exist.

Oil sludging is an event that happens when oil is overheated. Simple right? Any oil can get too hot. The EGT in a light duty diesel engine gets up to 1400 degF, and the turbo gets HOT. And yet dino oils do very well in those applications. Here's why ...
Thermal loading is a matter of many criteria, not the least of which is exposure duration.
Here is a simple experiement to try at home to get the point.
Light a candle.
Pass your fingers over it quickly. No pain felt.
Pass your fingers over it slowly. You'll feel pain by no damage done.
Hold your fingers steady over the flame. Tissue damage is the result.
Same goes for oil. Oil does not sludge because gets warm. Oil sludges in an engine that has a design flaw; the oil flow rate and volume is not sufficient such to achieve the thermal transfer at a rate which satisfies both the requirement of energy removal and yet not damage the medium (oil).
Oils do not sludge because they are inferior; oils sludge because the equipment has a flaw, and the engineers are expecting (or accidentally discover) the oil to perform past a reasonable expectation.

Which you do suppose is more likely:
1) those engines are a result of poor engineering or undiscovered errors resulting in undesired poor thermal transfer
2) those engines you list are a result of engineers that stood around and said "Hey, let's create an engine that is designed to REQUIRE a syn, and we'll create a lube sytsem that cannot survive on conventional oil, so we'll spec out the lube system flow and volume rates so that it only can support the bare minimum of thermal transfer where ONLY a synthetic can survive some minimum duration".
Yeah - I'm going with the first one.

Syn's may or may not last longer, depending upon situational conditions unique to each condition.

You said it yourself; allow me to quote you:
Quote:
" ... but the stability of the synthetic oil and its ability to resist breaking down and creating sludge is exactly what allows it to be run longer."

You hit it on the head, and you perhaps need to reread my signature line. Synthetics last longer in service!

I've said this a thousand times; if you are in a situation where a synthetic can affect a benefit past the capability of a dino, then it makes sense, as long as the ROI payment ratio can be equal or greater than the cost. If there are no conditions that allow a disparity to reveal itself, then there is no benefit to capitalize upon. It's that simple.

If you have a sludger engine, then you'd have to do some experimentation to see just when both the dino and syn would "sludge", and then see if the ROI could be met vs. the cost structure. It may or may not be "cheaper" just to OCI more often with dino. I don't know; you don't know. That is a unique condition to each individual piece of equipment.

But the VAST majority of engines on the face of this planet are not plagued by real sludging issues.

If you know you have a sludger, and it does get sludged, then it's a result of failure of the person to properly maintain the engine relative to the choice of lubricant selected. That's not the fault of the oil; it's negligence.

Last edited:
You seem to be laboring under the delusion that you and I disagree that synthetics can and should be run for longer intervals than dino. I'm not sure how I can make it any more clear that I agree with you on that point. Where we differ is that I think OCI is application specific and don't believe you can say "7500 miles with syn is too short" based on the data you believe to have mined from the basic UOAs most typically seen on BITOG. If you do not own the particular vehicle or have intimate knowledge there may be other factors you are not aware of and should not simply demean the poster, who was simply trying to contribute and grow their own knowledge, for changing too early.

I obviously disagree with you about wear being the most important aspect of protection in a PCMO. It is certainly important and I'm not implying that enormous wear rates are acceptable but I am saying that I would trade a bit of wear reduction for stability and cleanliness. What good is 20 PPM less iron wear if the engine fails due to sludge anyway? Whether we like it or not we will never purchase a vehicle with a perfectly designed engine. There will always be quirks (Toyota V6 hot spots, VW/Audis sumps being too small, Coyote 5.0s running hot) but if we have access to a lubricant that can handle these issues why would we not use it? As I'm sure you know the SM version of M1 was known to show somewhat elevated iron levels in UOAs however Mobil still insisted that M1 offered the best overall protection. I have e-mails from XOM reps from that era stating that "no other leading synthetic offers better OVERALL protection than M1." This isn't definitive but it illustrates my point and shows that metal wear is not the absolute focal point of lubricant design.

My message to you throughout my previous posts has been that you are generalizing based on incomplete data and knowledge. Oil change intervals with syn and dino need to be determined by more than the novel data obtained from a basic UOA. I have seen posts from you that, whether you intend them that way or not, come off very abrasive towards members who you perceive to have changed their oil too early and I do not want that to become the standard for this forum. I've lurked this forum since 2004 and been a member since 2005 and I've seen the various fads and trends that go on and I don't want to see potentially useful information go unposted (or data misrepresented) because someone was worried they would be ridiculed for changing too early.

Originally Posted By: 10cent
If you do not own the particular vehicle or have intimate knowledge there may be other factors you are not aware of and should not simply demean the poster, who was simply trying to contribute and grow their own knowledge, for changing too early.

What good is 20 PPM less iron wear if the engine fails due to sludge anyway?

I have seen posts from you that, whether you intend them that way or not, come off very abrasive towards members who you perceive to have changed their oil too early and I do not want that to become the standard for this forum.

...I don't want to see potentially useful information go unposted (or data misrepresented) because someone was worried they would be ridiculed for changing too early.

I could not have said... what's been going on here for so long... any better myself.

I could only hope he finally sees it and makes the crucial adjustment to mitigate passive/aggressive attacks and demeaning attitude to our fellow members.

I know that we have both agreement and disagreement.

You are vastly underestimating the amount of data I have on UOA; I have thousands upon thousands of them. I have also purchased and recieved many SAE articles over the years as well.

Your main concern seems to be that of sludge. Let's go deeper.

First of all, if one has a KNOWN sludger, then special conditions will apply, and only thorough individual analysis will assist in the reduction of contributing conditions. But those are NOT the majority of engines out there. Your few examples do not represent the majority of the ICEs in the world.

"Sludge" needs to be well defined for this debate. I'm not talking about typical oxidation or varnish. Also, sludge is not the same as coking; that is the result of the transformation of the lube into a separate state of an abrasive element. Sludge is not abrasive. I consider sludge to be the mass multi-layer result of heinous and copious amounts of cumbustion byproducts combined with degraded base stock components, to a degree that is significantly impeeds the ability of the lubricant to perform it's multiple tasks.

What is wrong with sludge? I ask that not sarcastically, but emphatically. What happens with sludge that is so detrimental?
1) sludge reduces/stops flow of oil to needed areas or hampers return to the pan
2) sludge forms a barrier that reduces thermal transer (it's an insulator)
3) sludge undesirably alters the chemisty of the host oil by consuming an inordinant amount of additives by percentage

When #1 happens, and oil does not get to where it's supposed to go, you most typically will see an elevation of wear because of the reduced lubrication rate. That reduction will not manifest overnight; it progresses over time. The escalation of wear (as a result of less lubrication) most often signifies itself in a UOA, but you have to be able to understand it and catch it.

When #2 happens, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. The hot spot grows until the sludge will become such an insulator that the transfer rate is significantly muted, so it encourages others to form, because when the thermal energy cannot be removed at one spot, it must transition to another area. Typically, it overloads the oil somewhere else, and the cycle is just a vicious loop.

#3 is pretty much self-explanitory. Sludge will consume an ever increasing amount of detergents and dispersents.

You can see the precursor of sludge in UOAs often when viewing oxidation and soot levels rise (at times called insolubles). You will never see ONLY this, but it will be combined with the other negative attributes in concurrence. Further, the effects of sludge would be a resultant increase in wear and/or futher grotesque oxidation of the lube. Your example of less wear with greater oxidation does not manifest itself in the real world. You cannot have massive sludge and lower wear rates. But simple common sense, if the three above conditions start to manifest, then wear will be a natural result. How could there be reduced flow, increased localized heat, and altered chemistry, and NOT also have increased wear? Your example is moot; it makes no sense. If the contributors were NOT linked to a result, than where would be the risk to sludge???

Sludge can also be a result of chemical reaction, and not just related to heat. External chemical contributors (such as coolant ingress) will transform oil additives packages, create emulsified solutions, and mess up stuff a LOT faster than oxidation alone ever could. In short - not all sludge is due to oxidation and often the "worst case" scenarios are not due to simple oxidation.

And not for one second should we lump all oxidation into the "bad" catagory. Oxidation has both good an bad consequences. Oxidation actually contributes to the formation of some of the tribo-chemical barriers that reduce wear. The oxidation is part of the process (certainly not all, as heat plays into it as well as chemistry itself). Additives will react differently to oxidation to form differning types of anti-wear layers depending upon the type of ZDDP used (and the concentration of that compound). Did you know that? Proven SAE in 2007-01-4133. In fact, that study references approximately 17 other SAE studies that directly or indirectly speak to the formation of anti-wear layers, and how oxidation can be a part of that process.

What evidence I have supports my position, but it's WAY to involved to regurgitate here at the BITOG post level. If you start buying and reading the SAE studies, you'll understand more.

And I stand by what I said; sludge is an evil that is WAY overblown for the typical engine. Sludge is not to be confused with simple oxidation. Some smaller amount of oxidation is not without benefit to off-set it's concerns; it combines with heat and other chemical reactions to assist in the formation of anti-wear boundaries.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tpitcher
If you do not own the particular vehicle or have intimate knowledge there may be other factors you are not aware of and should not simply demean the poster, who was simply trying to contribute and grow their own knowledge, for changing too early.

What good is 20 PPM less iron wear if the engine fails due to sludge anyway?

I have seen posts from you that, whether you intend them that way or not, come off very abrasive towards members who you perceive to have changed their oil too early and I do not want that to become the standard for this forum.

...I don't want to see potentially useful information go unposted (or data misrepresented) because someone was worried they would be ridiculed for changing too early.

I could not have said... what's been going on here for so long... any better myself.

I could only hope he finally sees it and makes the crucial adjustment to mitigate passive/aggressive attacks and demeaning attitude to our fellow members.

DNewton3 doesn't get it. Our only hope is to keep calling him out for his aggresive attacks. I, for one, will no longer be posting UOA's because of his tactics.

So your theory is that Volkswagen, Audi, BMW, Honda, Toyota, etc, are producing faulty engines that are creating sludge and not that the oil is simply being run too long? I'm not implying that synthetic cannot sludge but the stability of the synthetic oil and its ability to resist breaking down and creating sludge is exactly what allows it to be run longer.

When they specify too long of an OCI for the oils they specified, it's certainly on the manufacturer. It's not the fault of the API or ILSAC that Audi at one time specified absolutely enormous OCIs while simply specifying the latest API/ILSAC grade and saying in the manual that conventional was fine and synthetic was unnecessary. Considering they went from API/ILSAC and saying synthetic was unnecessary to ACEA/proprietary specs and requiring synthetic, who does it appear to you who made the mistake?

Originally Posted By: Garak
So your theory is that Volkswagen, Audi, BMW, Honda, Toyota, etc, are producing faulty engines that are creating sludge and not that the oil is simply being run too long? I'm not implying that synthetic cannot sludge but the stability of the synthetic oil and its ability to resist breaking down and creating sludge is exactly what allows it to be run longer.

When they specify too long of an OCI for the oils they specified, it's certainly on the manufacturer. It's not the fault of the API or ILSAC that Audi at one time specified absolutely enormous OCIs while simply specifying the latest API/ILSAC grade and saying in the manual that conventional was fine and synthetic was unnecessary. Considering they went from API/ILSAC and saying synthetic was unnecessary to ACEA/proprietary specs and requiring synthetic, who does it appear to you who made the mistake?

I am not assigning blame with the oil itself for the sludge in this case, my intention is to simply use this as an example to show that it is not uncommon in todays modern engines to exceed the protection limits of conventional oils with even moderate OCIs. The manufacturer is certainly to blame for specifying too long of an OCI on conventional oil. I use this list to show that it isn't just one off model that has these issues but a sundry list of vehicles and manufacturers that consumers have had issues with when following the manufacturers recommendations and we need to be aware that there is more to engine protection than a few PPM of iron.

I'm not bashing conventional at all, when used properly it certainly does what it is supposed to do very well. My 99 Wrangler has had either Pennzoil or Quaker State 10w30 conventional at 5000 mile intervals since new and it runs as good as ever at 174k miles.

You seem to be laboring under the delusion that you and I disagree that synthetics can and should be run for longer intervals than dino. I'm not sure how I can make it any more clear that I agree with you on that point. Where we differ is that I think OCI is application specific and don't believe you can say "7500 miles with syn is too short" based on the data you believe to have mined from the basic UOAs most typically seen on BITOG. If you do not own the particular vehicle or have intimate knowledge there may be other factors you are not aware of and should not simply demean the poster, who was simply trying to contribute and grow their own knowledge, for changing too early.

I obviously disagree with you about wear being the most important aspect of protection in a PCMO. It is certainly important and I'm not implying that enormous wear rates are acceptable but I am saying that I would trade a bit of wear reduction for stability and cleanliness. What good is 20 PPM less iron wear if the engine fails due to sludge anyway? Whether we like it or not we will never purchase a vehicle with a perfectly designed engine. There will always be quirks (Toyota V6 hot spots, VW/Audis sumps being too small, Coyote 5.0s running hot) but if we have access to a lubricant that can handle these issues why would we not use it? As I'm sure you know the SM version of M1 was known to show somewhat elevated iron levels in UOAs however Mobil still insisted that M1 offered the best overall protection. I have e-mails from XOM reps from that era stating that "no other leading synthetic offers better OVERALL protection than M1." This isn't definitive but it illustrates my point and shows that metal wear is not the absolute focal point of lubricant design.

My message to you throughout my previous posts has been that you are generalizing based on incomplete data and knowledge. Oil change intervals with syn and dino need to be determined by more than the novel data obtained from a basic UOA. I have seen posts from you that, whether you intend them that way or not, come off very abrasive towards members who you perceive to have changed their oil too early and I do not want that to become the standard for this forum. I've lurked this forum since 2004 and been a member since 2005 and I've seen the various fads and trends that go on and I don't want to see potentially useful information go unposted (or data misrepresented) because someone was worried they would be ridiculed for changing too early.

+1

I am not assigning blame with the oil itself for the sludge in this case, my intention is to simply use this as an example to show that it is not uncommon in todays modern engines to exceed the protection limits of conventional oils with even moderate OCIs. The manufacturer is certainly to blame for specifying too long of an OCI on conventional oil.

Well, that's certainly on the manufacturer for specifying far too long OCIs. Even my old 1991 Audi specified a 12,500 km severe service OCI. With a 4.5 litre sump, a turbo that may be driven hard, and the PCMOs available at the time, that OCI seems a bit optimistic to me. It shouldn't have to be on the owner's head to go far above and beyond the manufacturer's requirements to ensure that his engine doesn't sludge. I realize that carmakers like to make their vehicles look as maintenance free as possible, but there will always be a large segment of the population that will ignore the OEM OCIs anyhow, either changing way early or leaving it in there forever.

And I certainly agree with your point about fretting about a few PPM of iron. If the viscosity and TBN are totally out of whack, there's not much use in worrying about metal trends.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601

DNewton3 doesn't get it. Our only hope is to keep calling him out for his aggresive attacks. I, for one, will no longer be posting UOA's because of his tactics.

I posted 1 UOA and had to deal with his aggressive tactics also. I won't post anymore either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back