11 degrees this morning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is 11 degrees here this morning with a -6 wind chill. Car ('99 Crown Vic PI) was sitting out all night as usual.

Started up immidately with Chevron 10W30 with no indication of thickened oil (funky noises etc.)

I just changed the oil again last weekend. This will be my third fill of Chevron Supreme 10W30. I purposely used a cheap SuperTech ST2 filter. I'm going to run this fill 4K miles and then send it off for analysis. I'll post the results when I get there. I've got another 3400 miles to go on this fill.

I'm very pleased with this oil so far but the analysis results should speak volumes.

Got ya beat, it was only 2F out here this morning!
tongue.gif

I really don't know how people live in areas that get way below zero all the time in the winter. How on earth do they start their cars if they are running conventional oil with pour points of only -20F?
dunno.gif

I'm not so sure I believe that 100%, at least not the way I drive
burnout.gif
Sure I could use a 0w20 and supposedly have less startup wear but the engine runs pretty much same temp regardless of ambient so I will have little protection when warm.
I say if the oil wont startup properly, get a block heater, not thinner oil...

quote:

Originally posted by 91xRojo:
guess i dont have anyone beat, it was 50F here this morning... and i dont know how thick my oil is. what i do know is my feet are durn cold from riding my bike to work
grin.gif

Get some Smartwool socks; they feel great all day long! (Somehow, they're both cooler & warmer than cotton.) I rode my bike this morning at 26F, but I usually don't pull on the Smartwools until it's closer to 20F.
grin.gif

You guys would have loved the 50's. The first couple cars I had were 6 volt, they would just keep on krankin. When 12 volts came in we thought we had gone to heaven. Standard fare in those days was putting a blanket over the engine, using a trouble light to keep the carb and battery warm, taking the battery inside at night, dipstick heaters, and don't forget starting fluid. Ah, the smell of ether still takes me back. RW

Just for the record, my MIL called this morning and said it was -5 F in upper Iowa and the V-6 Olds started like a champ on the Amsoil 5W30 ASL. I suggested to her that she drive it at least 10 miles after warmup and do at least 90 mph for a 5 mile stretch!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
It was only 17F in my driveway this morning and the D1300 was showing some signs of slow cranking.

Using a conventional 15w40 oil at this temp is very hard on your engine (not to mention your starter and battery). I'd suggest going to Delvac 1 if you want to stick with a Mobil HD oil, or Rotella T Synthetic. Both of these are 5w40 and will make a world of difference on very cold mornings.

quote:

Originally posted by XHVI:

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
It was only 17F in my driveway this morning and the D1300 was showing some signs of slow cranking.

Using a conventional 15w40 oil at this temp is very hard on your engine (not to mention your starter and battery). I'd suggest going to Delvac 1 if you want to stick with a Mobil HD oil, or Rotella T Synthetic. Both of these are 5w40 and will make a world of difference on very cold mornings.

I'm only using it because of the Auto-RX. I don't think it is hard on much though. I'm not worried about it. Check out my analysis of M1 15w50 through winter in the analysis section. Anyway my manual recommends 15w40 down to -5F or so, if I remember correctly. I'll have to check. It's not hard to crank or start, I just noticed that it is turning slightly slower.
Oh also check out the analysis of a Honda with Schaeffer and Delo400 15w40, both were just fine to temps below this with low wear. And Honda doesn't even recommend that viscosity at all. My manual does.

The Mobil 1300S has the API pumping ability of a 10wt
I sure had poor gas milaege over the course of last summer using it though

guess i dont have anyone beat, it was 50F here this morning... and i dont know how thick my oil is. what i do know is my feet are durn cold from riding my bike to work
grin.gif

It was only 17F in my driveway this morning and the D1300 was showing some signs of slow cranking. No other problems though. But the M1 15w50 never was like this.
The reason I said in my driveway was that as I drove away it started to drop pretty quickly, getting down to 12F. I think there was at least 2 factors involved. My house is shaped like a T and my driveway is on one side of it. So my car is in a corner. The house probably radiates some heat, and the shape causes wind to be blocked.
Supposed to get colder the next couple days too
rolleyes.gif

I tell you it sucks having petro oil in the transmission when it is this cold!

Patman that is a good question! I know I would not be going anywhere if it was that cold!
gr_eek2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back