11-16 Elantra Front Side Marker Bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 Elantra had a burned-out front side marker/parking bulb (red arrow in the picture).

When I tried to remove the bulb socket, the socket hits a welded bracket. This means the headlight assembly needs to be moved (or be removed from the car). Some videos recommend removing the upper bumper clips only and wiggling the headlamp out, but this practice will risk chaffing paint on the top edge of the bumper cover.

After removing one 10mm self-tapping fastener, a handful of plastic clips on the upper portion of the bumper cover and the three fasteners holding down the headlamp, I was able to loosen the bumper cover and move the headlamp outward enough to r/r the side marker bulb.

Not a huge deal (turned at 5 min job into a 20 min job for both sides), but just a heads up to those of you who own one.

IMG_3988.jpg

56835489299__1C1E42DB-F592-4B79-9F90-9C25A05D7935.JPG

Most people will just wiggle the headlamp out and touch up / ignore the possible bumper cover scratch, or ignore the burnt out side marker.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Most people will just wiggle the headlamp out and touch up / ignore the possible bumper cover scratch, or ignore the burnt out side marker.

This

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Good thing that isn't a SnapOn/Mac/Matco box back there because some people would think you were a drunk/druggie/hack.

Lol!!!

Originally Posted by PandaBear

In a professional environment you can't do that. Could you imagine the 10 page thread here if someone took their car to a shop and the bumper was scratched because the tech took a shortcut and scratched the paint?

Those parking bulbs(usually behind a amber lens) burn out often. Like a W5W wedge bulb, It is old tech and could be easily upgraded to a LED bulb.

Last edited:
I'm glad I don't work on Hyundai's any more! I'm glad I don't have to work anymore at all...

I happen to own a Snap on tool box, and Snappy/Mac tools, and I'm not a drunk/druggie/hack, not sure where you draw that conclusion from? Maybe a general observation of dealership Tech's/employee's?

Originally Posted by miden851
next 1mil miles Elantra right there...

Ha! Not likely - the car is maintained well but all sorts of stuff keeps breaking. Right now the A/C compressor has decided to leak a ton of oil. The engine has also developed an intermittent case of piston slap.

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
I'm glad I don't work on Hyundai's any more! I'm glad I don't have to work anymore at all...

I happen to own a Snap on tool box, and Snappy/Mac tools, and I'm not a drunk/druggie/hack, not sure where you draw that conclusion from? Maybe a general observation of dealership Tech's/employee's?

The joke originated from this thread:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...observation-of-mechanics-and-their-tools

I pulled the left assembly out several time now, without scratching the bumper. Just put tap on the bumper if you are worrying able scratching.

Ah, somewhat true! You can tell by looking at my tools that they have been well used. I bought my tool box in 1986. I only own the tools that I needed to do the jobs, or work I performed.

I also started working on the Hyundai corporate advertisement account in 1986, they were horrible vehicles then! But I made good money!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back