10w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say no. I've used 10W40 in my Jeep under tough conditions and it's clean as a whistle inside. 15W40 is a robust grade that holds up very well.

Originally Posted By: sparkplug
I heard that 10w40 caused sludge due to the vii's back in the day. Does that still hold true today? What about 15w40?

Back in the day most all oils caused a lot of sludge if you let the OCI go a little too long. I had a 64 Valient slant 6 and did 2000 mile OCIs and it still sludged up on QS oil. I know their oil is much improved since then.

10w-40 dino oils are not the best choice I doubt they protect any better than a Xw30 oil due to the sheer under load. !5w-40 oil HDEOs are a whole different story . They are totally different.

I drove my 1985 Honda Civic on nothing but 10w40 back in the day for 120,000 miles. Under that valve cover it was spotless. And thats living in the torturous northeast conditions its entire life. That was using dino oil as well back then with 3-4k OCI's. The body rusted off that car before the motor ever died. I think alot of it depended on engine design back then.

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
I drove my 1985 Honda Civic on nothing but 10w40 back in the day for 120,000 miles. Under that valve cover it was spotless. And thats living in the torturous northeast conditions its entire life. That was using dino oil as well back then with 3-4k OCI's. The body rusted off that car before the motor ever died. I think alot of it depended on engine design back then.

85 wasn't that long ago. Oils had greatly improved by then. when I say back in the day I mean 1960. Most oils were junk then.

Nothing wrong with modern 10W-40's AT ALL.

This garbage about 10W-40 automatically causing sludge has GOT to stop!!!

Like Steve said, 15W-40 are a completely different animal.

Originally Posted By: tig1

85 wasn't that long ago. Oils had greatly improved by then. when I say back in the day I mean 1960. Most oils were junk then.

Alot has changed in regards to oil technology in the past 24 years.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Alot has changed in regards to oil technology in the past 24 years.

A lot has changed in regards to all technology in the past 24 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back