10W40 SG at $2.99 per Quart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got back from ShopKo. They had Valvoline 10W40 oil, SG rated, for $2.99 per quart. The older syle bottles were absolutely filthy. Somebody must have decided to clean out their garage by scamming the store with a return of 10 year old oil. I pointed it out to the clerk, and she took a bottle to the manager. I don't know if they pulled it off the shelf or not. Needless to say, I didn't add it to my stash. Some people . . .

A nearby HomeHardware store still has one quart of SH rated 10W40 Esso Protec on the shelf. I think the price for that one particular quart is $3.79. The also have a bunch of straight 30W Esso oil (can't remember product name but the label has a red background). It's an old rating, SF IIRC, and it's also priced about the same as that quart of 10W40. The local Zellers has 2 or 3 dozen bottles of old Syntec on the shelves. Most of it is SJ rated 5w50, with some SJ 10w30 in the mix too. Bottles are covered with dust, and the price is still $7.99!

When the oil I found was made, this particular store was not even built. Somebody must have brought it in as an alleged return.

At the Shopko in our town its the same thing with the old stock. They still have Citgo in the orange bottle.

I was wondering who buys this stuff. From the appearance of the bottles, apparently nobody does.

Years ago, there was a local cycle shop that had Valvoline All-Climate for $5+ per quart. Right across the street was a K-mart that had the same oil at less than a third the price.
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

IIRC, aren't there are fairly recent-production ATV's & motorcycles that still spec. a 10w40 SG rated oil?

Maybe they put it on the shelves around this time of year for the 4-stroke snow-mobile crowd.
dunno.gif

quote:

Years ago, there was a local cycle shop that had Valvoline All-Climate for $5+ per quart. Right across the street was a K-mart that had the same oil at less than a third the price.

My beer is also cheaper at Wal-Mart than the corner conveniance store. It's called "economy of scale". Your K-Mart probably sells more oil in 1-2 days than the cycle dealer does in a year even if he was selling it at K-Mart prices. I have worked in a motorcycle shop in the past (non-Harley) and the margins on new motorcycles is not much after making payroll and overhead cost. Money is made on accessories and mechanical service. The shop probably got the Valvoline from K-Mart.

Hootbro

$2.99 for an old quart of Valvo dino? Yikes! I know that oil is getting more expensive, but that is ridiculous! My advice: pay the extra buck and get GC or spend a lot less and get Trop-Arctic or Chevron dino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back