10w40 oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
Another possibility, I just added one ounce of their Maxlife Engine Protector, which they say is largely viscosity index improver, to my crankcase and it boosted my oil pressure 2 lbs. This stuff is 102 viscosity at 100C.

SSSSSSSSSSnake Oil!!!

I think the spread of a 5w30 is worse than a 10w40 because the 5w is a lighter base oil. I am switching to a 10w40 dino because I need the 40 to maintain oil pressure in manufacturers spec and I need the 10 for Detroit winters. Summer I may go with a 15w40 which is even better because of the more robust 15 weight base oil. BTW, I looked at the product info sheets for Valvoline and their high mileage oil (which I am using) has a half point lower viscosity than their other oils and is below the middle of the range for the viscosity rating. This means less viscosity improvers and so it will hold up better. If you want to be high in the range get Valvolines fleet oils which ride higher in the range. All this data is on their website. Another possibility, I just added one ounce of their Maxlife Engine Protector, which they say is largely viscosity index improver, to my crankcase and it boosted my oil pressure 2 lbs. This stuff is 102 viscosity at 100C. So figure every ounce raises you viscosity number about 0.5. I would be reluctant to dump a whole can (15 oz) in though.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Tim H:
SSSSSSSSSSnake Oil!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If so, then every multigrade oil is about 10 to 20 percent snake oil viscosity index improvers. What do you run, straight weight?

No, but I feel any additive by a manufacturer for a manufacturers own oil is nothing more than fixing a substardard product. In Valvoline's case, why an additive if 'all the worlds top mechanics' use it? That's were the SSSSnake oil comes in.......

Tim H. You have a good point. I have gotten various responses from Valvoline on this stuff. One tech said it is for if your engine has big problems (implys oil burning or low oil pressure). I added one oz for fun to see if it would raise the oil pressure and it did. I could see using is in small quantities to beef the viscosity index, say if you wanted a 10w30 that was higher in the 30 range without jumping to a 10w40. But for the most part it is and should be unnecessary.

This is going
offtopic.gif
now but the one good thing that the protector have is Molybdenum.As per Mola's VOA, it has 489. This might a good substitute for #132.

quote:

Originally posted by penzdude:
hey there. is anyone using a 10w40 oil these days? it seems like it would be a great "middle guy" between the touters of the thinner easier flowing and the fans of the thicker, albeit, better protecting? lubricants? ready, set, go!!!!!

I have many customers using 10w40 most are have european cars that already call for an Xw40 weight anyhow, but yes in this mild climate if you run a vehicle hard enough they can be benificial. Though I usually like to go lighter than that, on my personal vehicles I use an Xw30 in my TDI and F150. The only time I used the 10w40 was in my BMW motorcycle that called for 20w50. The lighter oil made cold starts easier, and I got better fuel economy to boot.

Penzoil HMV makes me re-consider a 10w-40 oil for summer. I need something to treat a valve cover leak, and the ester content for seal conditoning might also conveniently help with the VI. If so, here is a 10w-40 that will not sludge-out, seal conditioning with moderate drain interval for $2. As opposed to "mystery/Gruppe II&III/blend" it seems good.

quote:

Originally posted by TSoA:
Penzoil HMV makes me re-consider a 10w-40 oil for summer. I need something to treat a valve cover leak, and the ester content for seal conditoning might also conveniently help with the VI. If so, here is a 10w-40 that will not sludge-out, seal conditioning with moderate drain interval for $2. As opposed to "mystery/Gruppe II&III/blend" it seems good.

There is really no data to back this up, right?

I was also wondering what the big deal was about the 10w-40. I own an 84 subie and most of the people who own these cars run 10w-40 in the winter that I've talked to(20-50 in summer). These cars are known for routinely running into the 200K mark with 10w-40 oil.
dunno.gif
So whats so bad about 10w-40 as long as you remember to change it every 3,000? I might try running 10w-30 in the winter just to see...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back