10w40 in newer Ford 5.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was riding with a co-worker on a work errand yesterday in his F250 supercab 4x4 with the 5.4 V8. Very nice ride. Of course being an oil freak
freak2.gif
you know I had to ask what oil he used. He told me 10w40 Castrol since it was bought new in 2002. I asked if he ever thought about the 5w20 that was recommended for the motor and he kinda looked at me sideways and told me he'd never heard of it and that 10w40 had worked well for him for many years. I dropped it so I wouldn't seem like a know-it-all, but I wonder if that coice is actually bad for the motor? I asume he's never had a warranty claim and I'm unsure who does his oil changes.

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
He told me 10w40 Castrol since it was bought new in 2002. ... I wonder if that coice is actually bad for the motor?

Not bad at all. Not necessary, but not bad.

Correct - perhaps not the best choice, but I'm sure it works fine.

As most folks know, I've been running 5w20 in my F150 after running 5w30 previously. Just to see if there is any difference, I am going to run a 5w40 starting at the next oil change for a year, just as I did for 5w30 and 5w20. At this point, there just have not been many UOA's on the Mod V8's using xw40 oils, though the 5w20 and 5w30 reports have looked just fine.

I agree with Gman-II and MNgopher. I am sure no harm is being done but I just don't see any advantage to running a 10W-40 as apposed to something thinner like 5W-30 or 10W-30 unless he is experiencing high oil consumption.

[ May 17, 2004, 02:18 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back