10w30 to 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

I have old EU version 1.6L Mazda
For past 15 years 10w30 was used I wonder if its safe to start using 5w30 or maybe 0w30 even or 0w40 ?

Any opinions ?

Thank You in advance.

Last edited:
Probably either one of those would work, although when you go for 0w-30 or 0w-40, you're talking synthetic oil, which will cost you more. Depending on the OCI, this may or may not be overkill.

I switched from the specified 10W-30 for my 77 Chevy LUV to 5W-30 in the mid 90's. The only difference I have noticed is easier cold starts. Hummmmm, maybe the current starter motor has lasted longer than the original. I figure the current 5W-30's are much better than what was available in 1977 and we have much more experience with thinner oil now than then.

Like said above any those would work,i'd try the 0w30,excellent oil i have many miles on it now and no problems.

Ndx, do you think you can find a 5w-30 that does not thin down to a 20wt? Some members down here used dream of getting their hands on some of the 0w-30 fleet oil ya'll have in Canada. I think it's Esso.

My guess is it would be better for your Mazda than conventional 5w-30 passenger car oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back