10w30 in vehicle that calls for 5w30???

Status
Not open for further replies.
3.6L VVT Pontiac G6 GXP...FF is 5w30 dino. I have a few cases of Trop-artic 10w30 synthetic-blend on hand. Can I use it for this car?

I am sure since it is 100* here it will be fine, but since it is a syn-blend oil, then it should be fine to use year round if I wanted too huh???

I plan to use 5w30 normally, but if I can get away with this for now I will. Please advise & thanks.

Perfect actually! Year round in your climate would be fine too for a syn blend. I'm using PP10w30 this summer over my stash of 5w30.

You'll be fine. I would prefer to run the 10w-30 in your climate. I run a synthetic straight 30 year round in my 5w-20 spec'd car and have almost since it was new.

Well guys I appreciate it. I actually do run 10w30 year round and have always regarded that as perfect for my climate too, except that is for push-rod motors.

I wasn't sure about the "VVT" OHC motor if it would be a good idea to run a thicker oil due to lubing the top-end. I know most of the dealers around here have 5w30 in their bulk tanks.

So as a general rule I know 10w30 is good for here, but just wanted to be sure it was also okay for this specific motor since 5w30 seems more important on OHC motors.

I have Kendall Syn Blend 10/30 in the high feature V6 in my G8.

It's probably the same oil as the Trop Arctic.

I'm 5.5K miles into my OCI, and there has been no consumption. My OLM is presently projecting an 11.5K mile OCI.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Well guys I appreciate it. I actually do run 10w30 year round and have always regarded that as perfect for my climate too, except that is for push-rod motors.

I wasn't sure about the "VVT" OHC motor if it would be a good idea to run a thicker oil due to lubing the top-end. I know most of the dealers around here have 5w30 in their bulk tanks.

So as a general rule I know 10w30 is good for here, but just wanted to be sure it was also okay for this specific motor since 5w30 seems more important on OHC motors.

I can't say for sure in your case but I heard all of these stories that vtec wouldn't work in my car on the straight 30 period, at all, even though it's the same viscosity when hot. Once morning with the temp guage maybe 3/4 to it's normal position and a minute of run time I pulled out in front of a car and had to floor it. Surprisingly vtec functioned normally even with the thicker cold oil. I can't say it won't prolong the time until things function normally on your car but I highly doubt it will effect anything in a negative way.

Originally Posted By: nooil
you can use 10w-30 year round in prolly 95% of the country without a hitch

5W-30 is really for fuel millage anyway.I think your fine with the 10W-30.Some Ford`s and definitely Honda`s really run best on the lighter stuff.

Yeah, but since this is a VVT that is what had me the most concerned...I am sure it is fine, but had this not been a "special" motor then I may not have even bothered asking.

Sounds like one guy is using the same thing in his V6 G8 which is that same motor I think.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Yeah, but since this is a VVT that is what had me the most concerned...I am sure it is fine, but had this not been a "special" motor then I may not have even bothered asking.

Sounds like one guy is using the same thing in his V6 G8 which is that same motor I think.

Well I last worked for a Pontiac dealer in 06.And something tells me that is a different v-6 in the G-8 because its a rear wheel drive unit isnt it?

Originally Posted By: Win
Nah.

Same engine, maybe a bigger sump in the RWD config, but same VVT, VIM, etc.

You`ve got quite the selection of vehicles their win!! I know that AWD Chevrolet Blazer is great in snow!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Probably there won't be a whole lot of difference untill the temps drop below 0*f.

Yeah that is what i hoped and it rarely gets to 0* here anyway. I figure the 10w30 in the syn-blend flavor will flow okay in winter too, although I am just wanting to do one or two changes to use up some of this 10w30. I plan to probably do YB 5w30 ultimately.

The last time I checked, when going from a 5W-30 to a 10W-30, you lose about 15°F in equivalent viscosity during startup. In other words, at startup, 10W-30 at 60°F has the same viscosity as 5W-30 at 45°F. This should put things in perspective.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
AFAIK, GM's general 'oil chart' allows the use of 10W-30 above 0F.

Yeah I had not looked at the manual yet but I think that is one thing that is overlooked MANY times by owners & maybe even dealerships when it comes to what oil the manual allows vs. what the oil cap has stamped on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back