10w30 in Nissan Frontier?

Ok, so just hypothetically, would it be ok or a big no no to use 10w30 in my 2017 Frontier with the 4.0 v/6 with 30k on it. Now understand it is stored in my attached garage that never gets below freezing. The manual calls for 5w30, with no stipulation of conventional or synthetic.

As others have said, not only is it OK to run a 10W-30, it could actually perform better than a 5W-30 in certain performance categories (viscosity retention, engine cleanliness, engine wear).

my 2011 fronty SV got 10-30 in PA since i bought it a few years ago + every oil change i do except my bikes get the same, fake synthetic as most are!!!

I ran 10w-30 in 3 Nissans with same engine...well over 175k miles and no issues. Valve covers at that mileage were very clean.

Good old 10w30 is as close to a universal oil as exists, it seems to do well in virtually anything. In a mild climate and an engine spec'd for a 30 grade in the first place it's the best choice IMO. The downside to 10w30 is it can be had in some low quality lubes, so make sure you go for a quality selection.

Back